LaunchBox Community Forums

How to update your MAME ROMset to a newer version with CLRmamepro

SentaiBrad

Not sure if this is off-topic or not, but it's at least related :-)

I was using a complete .180 set and added the .181 updated files when it was released. I tried using the 'scan for new roms' function in LB but it came up empty (and ran very quickly considering the ROM folder size). I thought maybe LB might use the mame.xml file so I generated a new one from .181 and tried the rescan but again no bueno. Is there a painless way to add the new additions to MAME as they trickle out? For the record I just use the vanilla MAME64 executable these days since it supports high score saves now.

3 hours ago, snarfo67 said:

Not sure if this is off-topic or not, but it's at least related :-)

I was using a complete .180 set and added the .181 updated files when it was released. I tried using the 'scan for new roms' function in LB but it came up empty (and ran very quickly considering the ROM folder size). I thought maybe LB might use the mame.xml file so I generated a new one from .181 and tried the rescan but again no bueno. Is there a painless way to add the new additions to MAME as they trickle out? For the record I just use the vanilla MAME64 executable these days since it supports high score saves now.

How exactly did you update/add the roms? (Directly into your MAME rom directly or using a rom manager)

1) Update packs only have the roms that have been added or changed within a set, not a complete repack of the roms needed for that version of mame.

If you just copy the update pack into where your mame roms are, these incomplete updates will often overwrite the set you had before.

2) Launchbox doesn't use the mame.xml. The 'scan for new roms' option just does directory scan if the platform rom directory is properly set.

If you want to merge the update packs you need to use a rom manager like ClrMamePro. Technically you could do it manually, but I wouldn't suggest anyone bother unless it was for a few specific roms.

I just grab a new update pack, plop in the new stuff, but chances are we're not utilizing all the new stuff anyways. We're using MAME data information, but it's not something the user can add or change around, it's something Jason needs to manually update, the process of LaunchBox converting all the names, and assigning all the metadata properly. We're still using the .174 set. Unless something really breaks or changes with later revisions of MAME releases that requires his attention, there are other things that are taking a higher priority.  I would still update anyways, existing games can get updated too, I myself am on .181, but if there is anything new (which wouldn't be many games), it's most likely not getting imported anyways. So if you have a set, have imported things, and plop in a new update pack, if an existing rom was updated then there is no need for a re-import, and anything new is currently not being parsed anyways. Scanning for new roms will work theoretically in that position, if LB was recognizing the new changes after .174.

17 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

How exactly did you update/add the roms? (Directly into your MAME rom directly or using a rom manager)

1) Update packs only have the roms that have been added or changed within a set, not a complete repack of the roms needed for that version of mame.

If you just copy the update pack into where your mame roms are, these incomplete updates will often overwrite the set you had before.

2) Launchbox doesn't use the mame.xml. The 'scan for new roms' option just does directory scan if the platform rom directory is properly set.

If you want to merge the update packs you need to use a rom manager like ClrMamePro. Technically you could do it manually, but I wouldn't suggest anyone bother unless it was for a few specific roms.

Yeah, I use ClrMamePro to update them so as far as I can tell they function well enough.

17 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

I just grab a new update pack, plop in the new stuff, but chances are we're not utilizing all the new stuff anyways. We're using MAME data information, but it's not something the user can add or change around, it's something Jason needs to manually update, the process of LaunchBox converting all the names, and assigning all the metadata properly. We're still using the .174 set. Unless something really breaks or changes with later revisions of MAME releases that requires his attention, there are other things that are taking a higher priority.  I would still update anyways, existing games can get updated too, I myself am on .181, but if there is anything new (which wouldn't be many games), it's most likely not getting imported anyways. So if you have a set, have imported things, and plop in a new update pack, if an existing rom was updated then there is no need for a re-import, and anything new is currently not being parsed anyways. Scanning for new roms will work theoretically in that position, if LB was recognizing the new changes after .174.

Ah, that makes sense. I'll keep my MAME updated since I also use it to run Intellivision and Sega Genesis emulation (Retroarch is awesome, but its control setups are a miserable experience for me) and just keep an eye out for MAME version updating in Launchbox down the road. Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly the same way. I cover this scenario at point 2 and 12 of my tutorial.But you will probably have a hard time to find all the 20 update packs from 161 to 181. In this case I would personally recommend to just re-download a full 181 set, that should be easier.

On 15.5.2016 at 0:24 AM, CriticalCid said:

2. Download all ROM update packs beginning from the version you have until to the current version. With all I mean all and not just the latest. For example if your ROMset is on version 0.168 and you want to update to version 0.171 you will need the update packs: 0.168 to 0.169, 0.169 to .170 and 0.170 to 0.171!

12. Change the path type to “Add-Paths”. Here you need to add every path you want the program to look for updates or new ROMs you want to add. If you have more than one update pack you can add all update packs at once in order to update your ROMset to the current version. No need to repeat this entire updating process for every single update pack.

IMPORTANT: You have to add the backup path too! In my case I want to update from 0.170 to 0.171 and add the extra games for MAMEUIFX.

48 minutes ago, NervousJarred said:

I see, so if I've got all the update packs added as paths, will everything be alright or will there be conflicts when updating? I'd need each pack in its own folder and then each folder added as a path. After that, I'd go through the normal scan/rebuild process and things'd be alright?

You can put all the update packs in a single folder and just point the rebuilder to that folder and it should work fine.

5 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

You can put all the update packs in a single folder and just point the rebuilder to that folder and it should work fine.

Then why not just put the updates in to the main MAME Roms folder 1 by 1 and update your packs that way? That would be the same thing essentially.

Brad if  you look at VF3 from an old set and a new set there is one different file not an upgraded file but completely renamed a letter increase by one increment actually  so having both of those files may cause conflict on a crc check plus its just extra space wasted

2 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Brad if  you look at VF3 from an old set and a new set there is one different file not an upgraded file but completely renamed a letter increase by one increment actually  so having both of those files may cause conflict on a crc check plus its just extra space wasted

I am saying what I said in response to someone who said they should put all of their update packs in to one folder and have CLRMAMEPro parse a single update folder and not all of them individually. My point, was if you're going to do that, it's more or less the same as dropping the update packs in manually. If you're gonna use CLRMAMEPro, might as well do it right.

CLRmamepro searches every folder you have added to the "Add-Paths" section for the right files to rebuild your set. So it doesn't matter if they are in the same folder or not but you could run into file conflicts when a ROM file with the same name occurs twice and you want to copy/move everything in just one folder (which is most likely to happen considering how many update packs you'll need). So it's definitely better to keep all update packs and your current full 0.161 set in their own seperate folders to avoid any potential problems.

Okay, so final confirmation, what I should be doing is keeping everything in its own folder, then adding each folder as a path before I start? Is that the correct way? Or should I add one folder, go through the whole process, add the next folder, repeat?

Sorry for all the questions that are surely stupid. I'm pretty new to the whole updating process and I'm kind of an idiot.

Edited by NervousJarred

35 minutes ago, NervousJarred said:

Okay, so final confirmation, what I should be doing is keeping everything in its own folder, then adding each folder as a path before I start? Is that the correct way?

Yes, exactly like that. CLRmamepro will know what files it needs from each folder/update pack. So you can update everything all at once without any problems.