LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezels

Drybonz

SentaiBrad said
MattHenry said Sorry guys, noob here and Brad quit taking my emails and directed me here :) So I bought this "hyperspin" machine off of a guy and I have all of the files needed, Hyper didn't come set up as it was supposed to and I got tired of messing with it and found Launchbox (which has been a Godsend of ease). I'm using MameUI64, on Hyper all of my bezels come up when I load a rom. In Launchbox they do not and I can't find any good help of or walkthough of using all of these files with Mame. Sorry if this sounds like an amateur hour question, but after two days of messing with it, I thought I would take Brad's advice and sign up here... And being 34 and not a tech guru, please do not recommend me to use Mess or Retroarch. I've spent way too much money on this computer, cabinet and recroom masters controller and have it all dialed in as is. I just need to know how to work these files I have in the Mame emulator since they are not running through hyper anymore I'm guessing.
I'm sorry if it seemed like I didn't want to take your e-mails, I am more than happy to actually. I just know that the forums are riddled with people and topics like this where answers to questions already exist. My suggestion of the forum was honestly so that you can get the best experience possible and have the full access of all of the great minds here. I never want to seem like I am unapproachable by anyone on our forums or through our support e-mail. So I am sorry if that is what happened here. Though Derek here knew the exact answer to your question and we have people who specialize in a lot of area's. I want all users to utilize our forums so that they know what to do. Here there is no such thing as a noob question. Like I said before, we want everyone to be able to enjoy their games as much as possible.
Hey Brad just giving you a hard time, you've been great with everything.

SentaiBrad said
MattHenry said Sorry guys, noob here and Brad quit taking my emails and directed me here :) So I bought this "hyperspin" machine off of a guy and I have all of the files needed, Hyper didn't come set up as it was supposed to and I got tired of messing with it and found Launchbox (which has been a Godsend of ease). I'm using MameUI64, on Hyper all of my bezels come up when I load a rom. In Launchbox they do not and I can't find any good help of or walkthough of using all of these files with Mame. Sorry if this sounds like an amateur hour question, but after two days of messing with it, I thought I would take Brad's advice and sign up here... And being 34 and not a tech guru, please do not recommend me to use Mess or Retroarch. I've spent way too much money on this computer, cabinet and recroom masters controller and have it all dialed in as is. I just need to know how to work these files I have in the Mame emulator since they are not running through hyper anymore I'm guessing.
I'm sorry if it seemed like I didn't want to take your e-mails, I am more than happy to actually. I just know that the forums are riddled with people and topics like this where answers to questions already exist. My suggestion of the forum was honestly so that you can get the best experience possible and have the full access of all of the great minds here. I never want to seem like I am unapproachable by anyone on our forums or through our support e-mail. So I am sorry if that is what happened here. Though Derek here knew the exact answer to your question and we have people who specialize in a lot of area's. I want all users to utilize our forums so that they know what to do. Here there is no such thing as a noob question. Like I said before, we want everyone to be able to enjoy their games as much as possible.
Hey Brad just giving you a hard time, you've been great with everything.
Drybonz said Hey Matt... if you have all your directories set up right then you should be able to press tab while in a MAME game and bring up the in-game menu... then go to video options and you can enable and select your bezels from there.
I must have my directories wrong. Can you tell me which ones I need to point to where? Mind you I have all of the Mame Theme files from Hyper that are zipped up for each rom containing all artwork etc. See attached pics of my screen.Mame-1.pngMame-2.png

MattHenry said Hey Brad just giving you a hard time, you've been great with everything.
Ok I just want to make sure. You never know. As for why their not showing up, I remember reading that MAME will find the overlay's automatically if they're named after the rom file. So I don't know if they need to be in a zipped or unzipped but I would assume it needs to be named after the game inside the Overlay's folder.

A bezel artwork file for Mame in it's simplest form will have a lay file and a png for the bezel. More complex ones will have several pngs for a choice of bezel as well as marquee, control panel etc. These multiple views are selectable from within Mame's Video Options menu. The lay file can be either named after the game or set to default. The artwork zip holding all these files should be named to match the game zip. The names for the various pngs can be anything, as they will be referenced in the lay file when it's being made. So the artwork file for the game mslug.zip will also be named mslug.zip, and it's lay file can be either mslug.lay or default.lay.
  • Like 1

Oh... those Rocketlauncher and Hyperspin bezels aren't the same as the MAME formatted ones. If you are trying to use those directly in MAME it won't work. You will need to get the format that Scree mentioned, above. As for help on Hyperspin or RL, I cannot help you. I've been trying to figure RL out recently and every time I look at it my head wants to implode. I have some nice bezel files that will only work in RL so that is my only motivation to try to use it.

After much effort, I have finally got a default bezel for games without a bezel in MAME. I used the RocketLauncher method, which was a bit tricky for me, personally, to figure out. Anyway, I designed a simple 80's retro, Tron-style grid for the default bezel (just used some graphics I found online for the grid). I may add a gradient background or something later, but I'm glad to have it up and running. I got some other nice RL compatible bezels from the RL forums for specific games as well. Thanks to everyone in this thread for the advice. Here's what I came up with. Ccastles-Bezel.jpg

Nice work Drybonz. I've decided to start using bezels. They'll be great when I get my own personal large screen tv for gaming. Here's a link to Mr Do for default Mame artwork for all games that can be included in a Mame compile. He does different aspect ratios and also horizontal and vertical bezels and he includes the lays. He also explains how to compile. http://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwork_generic.php Personally, I don't want to compile as I prefer individual artwork for each game. Easy for me as I only have a small Mame collection. I decided to start with my NeoGeo game collection of 24 games. I wanted all my NeoGeo games to have the same look so I'm using a NeoGeo Hyperspin bezels pack as my source of Background pngs. I needed to use PaintNet to centre the bezel frame image on a transparency to match the Hyperspin NeoGeo Background images. Once done I made a lay file to match. I can now make a bezel for all my NeoGeo games by layering one onto the other with PaintNet and saving the flattened image. I've only done one game so far as I can't decide which style to use - game Background png layered over my frame png or vice-versa. The attached images show my two styles.

Thanks, Scree... I have the original .lay file set from Mr. Do's, and what started this all is that a lot of the original bezels (which are always my preferred if they fit correctly) don't really fit correctly and don't look so good. I'm using Metalzoic's from the RL forums as a starting point... I like them because they have the really thin top and bottom frame so you get the most screen space. So, my opinion is the frame on top looks best, and the thin top and bottom frame looks super best. That's just my thoughts though. My Photoshopping skills are pretty much figure it out as I go, but I have been having fun with it anyway. Finding a bunch of neat tricks you can do to get the best bezel for each game, using LB to switch between RL and MAME as the emulator so that I can have the bezel type I want for each game. Still have to do my default vertical. Anyway, post some screenshots when you get them done! :)

Here's a bezel I made tonight from existing art that is for playing Pacman on my second monitor in portrait orientation... unfortunately, I haven't quite figured out how to make RocketLauncher display on the second monitor for individual games yet. Pacman-Bezel.jpg

Well, I figured out how to get my bezels on the second monitor with RL... What I ended up doing was copying my entire RocketLauncher folder into a RocketLauncher 2 folder, then setting them up as two separate emulators in LaunchBox... the RocketLauncher 2 is set to display bezels on my second monitor (since RL doesn't have those bezel settings per game). Now I just change between the two in LB per game, depending on which monitor I want it on. So, I can use RL bezel packs, and the style I made, above... as well as the default cropped vertical style in MAME. Here's one I just finished for Centipede. :) Centipede-Bezel.jpg

So here's my first attempts at bezel artwork for Mess systems in Mame. Mame Mess artwork is on the system level, unlike Mame arcade artwork which can be for individual games. Image 1 is of the Mame Epoch Super Cassette Vision system (scv) running the game Y2 Monster Land with bezel artwork. Image 2 is of the Mame Funtech Super Acan system (supracan) running the game Journey To The Laugh (aka CUG) with bezel artwork. My actual artwork backdrops are 2560 x 1440 (16:9), with a screen bezel of 1880 x 1440 (suited to 4:3 games).

Looks really cool, Scree... nice idea to do them for different systems. I have been making a bunch and having a lot of fun with it... my screenshots have been turning out really poorly, though... the only way I can figure out how to capture the bezel with RL is using the old fashioned print screen and the aspect ratios look messed up... maybe because of dual monitors? Not sure. Anyway, thanks for showing off your snapshots.

As a veteran HyperSpinner, I would be remiss not to admonish you for buying those premades. Not on principle but because if you don't build it yourself, you're gonna have a bad time trying to get it to work. Having said that, the reason your bezels aren't showing up in LaunchBox is because you're using LaunchBox proper to launch games. In order to get the bezels to show up you'll have to set LaunchBox to Launch RocketLauncher (I assume rocketlauncher, maybe hyperlaunch if you got gipped on some older build). There is a bunch of information on this forum and on the RL forums on how to do that. Just involves setting up RL as an emulator and putting in a code under associated platforms. Also, yeah, RA can be made to work with any bezel, but I don't remember it being plug and play. I think you have to edit an ini file?

fromlostdays said As a veteran HyperSpinner, I would be remiss not to admonish you for buying those premades. Not on principle but because if you don't build it yourself, you're gonna have a bad time trying to get it to work.
Hi... not sure who you are responding to... the bezels, above, are ones that we made. They are working properly. Unless I missed something, no one is talking about buying them???

I'm also confused about the buying premades reference. I don't use RL, so I make lay files to use bezel artwork with MAME. If I can't find artwork then I make my own. For example, I couldn't find any backdrops for the games Chaos Heat and Alligator Hunt, so I went ahead and made my own. Also I totally agree with Drybonz. Making bezels for your own use is great fun.