LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezels

Drybonz

I meant a gray area of charging for artwork that was designed to be free, and also already within the other gray area of copyrighted work.  It is a weird scenario we all find ourselves in.  I still don't see why all this other artwork is on a Movies FTP.  But the fact remains, paying monthly costs for an ftp server alone must warrant some type of membership service shouldn't it?

I believe all the bezels are indeed all downloadable for free from EmuMovies, as well as of course all of the images. The only stuff that is behind a paywall for EmuMovies is the videos, which are done by EmuMovies themselves. Even the videos now are also available for free if you want to download them manually (and they're even freely available for download in packages now directly from the site). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe that EmuMovies is charging for anything but the content they have created themselves.

@circo can chime in and correct us here on the facts. I just don't want false information spreading in this thread.

• Like 1

Just about everything is free on the site.  Mainly we take donations for ftp and sync functions so basically just convienience.  It's not exactly cheap to have those resources or develop the software.  Yes there are daily site limitations but if you post on the forums you can pretty easily get the daily limits raised.

as far as bezels being on the ftp that aren't on the site that just means that a user submitted them there and not the website itself.  But it's a community file server and the users are allowed to share files that way.  It's convenient which is really the whole point.  I'd guess there is over 200gb worth of submissions users have uploaded to the file server which I have not had the time to add to the public site.  Having personally never touched bezels I'm sure that's one of them.

also nothing that was done by our team is only on the ftp.  To say we go around the net collecting stuff to put behind a paywall is absolutely false.

Edited by circo

Thanks for jumping in on the discussion.  I appreciate it.

So, let's use this bezel pack as an example, since this is where the discussion started, but it could apply to any of the content on the FTP.  A person compiles this bezel pack, which was all various artists' work that they uploaded here and there and intended it to be a free download for people, and not for sale.  The compilation goes on your FTP.  Am I able to access that content and download it without giving you money?

No not until somebody adds it to the public site, see one of the benefits are users get is the ability to share files quickly on the FTP.  when we added the FTP years ago we talked all the users Who wanted it and as hosting prices kept going up, explained we would have to pass that cost on but we would leave that as a benefit.  those bezels can be found elsewhere and eventually if I or one of the other team members get some time we will get that on the website.  but besides ROMs we don't put any limit on what our users can share on the FTP.  it's also four terabytes so way bigger than the Web server.  

but to be straight we charge for use of that system not for necessarily the content on it.  right now we have about 260 GB of content on the website.  that should really be enough to keep you busy.  I know they posted all the bezels to hyperspin FTP too.  but this is mostly the creators doing that they know it's not going anywhere and themselves and all their friends pretty much have access to it.  

My point is that you have content on your FTP that was originally intended as a free download and now people are paying "for use of that system". 

So, my question is... do you have any objection to people re-posting, on this site, or any other, content that was on your FTP, originally intended as a free download before it was collected there, once again for free?

If you put in the request we can get them added to the main site.  but I'm looking back through my messages and the author posted it there.  I get the feeling you're just trying to stir up a fight but if you want the bezels we can look at getting them added to the main site in a couple weeks.

I absolutely do not want to stir up a fight... suggesting that makes me think that you think this is a fight and it is not.  I just want to be clear about that.

My question is... this free content... content you state, 2 posts above, is not for sale on your site, but that you only charge for use of your system... do you you have any objection to people who have obtained that content (bezels or anything else) from your site, posting it on this site, or any other, once again as a free download?

Edited by Drybonz

They can be posted on my main site as a free download.  just no one's ever asked for us to move it and the user didn't upload it there I'm more than happy to have somebody do that you should probably put a request on our forums.  

Edited by circo

So, once the content is on your site you would only want it to appear as a free download, after that, on your "main site"?  But what I'm asking about is someone posting it on this site, or any other site after they have obtained that free content from you?  Would you object to that?

It's against our rules unless the author permits it.  and Jason and I don't step on each other's toes.  In fact we added unlimited downloads for almost every category for free users when launchbox was just getting started up to help out it's member base.

Edited by circo

@Drybonz The point is that EmuMovies accepts community uploads. Of course the uploader can post that same content wherever they want, and it's their own fault if they didn't originally have permissions to upload it. If you feel that this content shouldn't be up there, then I'm sure you could raise a stink and get it removed. Unfortunately you'd be missing the entire point of the service. It's an important service that EmuMovies provides to this community, and they do a wonderful job maintaining it all and keeping it available. I know first hand how expensive it is to host this stuff, so payment has to be provided in one way or another to make it available. We personally are able to subsidize the LaunchBox Games Database with LaunchBox purchases; EmuMovies does it through donations.

I don't know what your personal objective is, but honestly nitpicking on these things doesn't seem like productive discussion...

So, what this sounds like, to me, is that there is a possibility...  and I will use this bezel pack, once again, as an example, but I'm sure that there is other content on the FTP to which this might apply... that there is content, originally intended as a free download, which makes its way to your FTP, after which you would object to it being obtained from there and posted as a free download on this site, or another site.

To me, this says that you are claiming exclusive rights to this content once it is uploaded to your FTP?

Jason, to me this is an important conversation.  I appreciate your joining in, but please don't feel like you have to.

Thank you for allowing me to talk about something which is important to me, even if it isn't to you.  I appreciate it.

Edited by Drybonz

@Drybonz, frankly, please stop spreading drama. I'm chiming in not because I want to, but because it's best for the community. You're lighting unnecessary fires here. The community uploaded the content themselves; all EmuMovies does is provide access to the FTP and allows users to share files. If you're unhappy with your personal content being available on the paid FTP, just ask for it to be removed. It's obvious that EmuMovies is not claiming exclusive access to community-uploaded content; they're also not looking to be the media police. So stop putting words in Circo's mouth and trying to fight an unnecessary fight. Stuff like this only causes drama and ends up ruining it for the entire community.

This topic will be closed soon if the same passive-aggressive points keep coming up.

Apologies from me as well ...

First ever post and already stirring up drama involving the heads of LaunchBox and EmuMovies ... O.o 

This was never my intention as I greatly appreciate all the hard work done by the people behind LB, EM and everybody else in our community.

Yes, this is "a gray area within a gray area" and the case of these bezels might be a bit unfortunate, because they are all based on free work done around the great MAME community. I do not object at all for offering a paid service for the HQ videos the people at EmuMovies have created. Also I fully understand the need to pay the hosting bills for your ftp.

After all, it is only metalzoics's decision to upload all these beautiful bezels that he conveniently collected/and or edited to the emumovies ftp instead of the emumovies main site. So I will head over to the emumovies forum and kindly ask if it might be possible to upload the pack to the main site.

Thanks for clarifying this issue.