LaunchBox Community Forums

Alpha jump lists

Drybonz

With long lists of games, scrolling around to find something becomes tedious. It would be helpful if there were alpha jump lists for the game lists. Meaning I can click on a letter of the alphabet to jump to those games in the games list, or to simply click one key on the keyboard to jump to games starting with that letter.

I've found other systems which allow this to be done which is a really helpful idea to navigate. Big Box mode should allow perhaps a button to be held (i.e. a shifted key) and a push to the right jumps to the next letter or left to jump back. So hold down a shifted key (i.e. P1 Side Button 1 + Push Right) jumps from number 1 to 2 and the list shows the games starting with '2' then pressing right again would jump to '3' and eventually on to 'A', 'B', 'C' ...etc.
  • Like 1

Dal said I've found other systems which allow this to be done which is a really helpful idea to navigate. Big Box mode should allow perhaps a button to be held (i.e. a shifted key) and a push to the right jumps to the next letter or left to jump back. So hold down a shifted key (i.e. P1 Side Button 1 + Push Right) jumps from number 1 to 2 and the list shows the games starting with '2' then pressing right again would jump to '3' and eventually on to 'A', 'B', 'C' ...etc.
I like that idea! The triggers can be used for scrolling currently, maybe holding the Back button as the Shift key and the triggers could skip through letters.

Another similar thing that would be useful... almost seems necessary really... the ability to jump to the next category when you have the gamelist sorted by categories. As it is, you have to scroll around until you find the black divider bar you are looking for. It really negates a lot of the usefulness of sorting.

• 1 year later...
On 25/4/2016 at 6:02 PM, Dal said:

I've found other systems which allow this to be done which is a really helpful idea to navigate. Big Box mode should allow perhaps a button to be held (i.e. a shifted key) and a push to the right jumps to the next letter or left to jump back. So hold down a shifted key (i.e. P1 Side Button 1 + Push Right) jumps from number 1 to 2 and the list shows the games starting with '2' then pressing right again would jump to '3' and eventually on to 'A', 'B', 'C' ...etc.

Yes there is another systems that allow that, In fact also support fast scrolling by pressing the letter or the begining of the name in the keyboard, like in windows you must no use the search option for jump to an archive, you just press write the beggining of the name or the first letter, It would be 2 very good improvements.

1 hour ago, Drodrick said:

Yes there is another systems that allow that, In fact also support fast scrolling by pressing the letter or the begining of the name in the keyboard, like in windows you must no use the search option for jump to an archive, you just press write the beggining of the name or the first letter, It would be 2 very good improvements.

These functions do exist. 

BigBox has had for a while the ability to move your controller (for example move left if your game scroll is up and down) to pull up an alpha numeric list and then you simply scroll to the letter or number and BigBox jumps to the first game of the selection. 

In Launchbox the latest beta now lets you hit a keyboard letter and Launchobx will jump the the first game in that selection. 

2 hours ago, Dal said:

Are you guys into retro threads as well as retro gaming :P

This was an April 2016 thread and probably way out of context now to bump

An old thread is never out of context if a member has a question related to it. Unlike other forums that get pissy about bumping necro threads this forum thankfully is not that uptight. :D 

Edited by Retro808

Yeah, I got no problems with people asking questions in old threads. Sometimes people use Google to try and  find a solution to a problem and the old thread can be the only one that shows up based on their search. So why not answer it for them and the anyone else who may stumble across the thread later on.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 6:00 AM, Retro808 said:

These functions do exist. 

BigBox has had for a while the ability to move your controller (for example move left if your game scroll is up and down) to pull up an alpha numeric list and then you simply scroll to the letter or number and BigBox jumps to the first game of the selection. 

In Launchbox the latest beta now lets you hit a keyboard letter and Launchobx will jump the the first game in that selection. 

That right, but for my is much more faster to tap -metroid  in bigbox that looking for the game with the gamepad navigator, especially if a have a collection of 3000 Snes Games,and the performance can be slower, I used to had this option in worst frontends, it seems rare that a piece of software like bigbox does not have the same.

The good new is that jason has implemented this function just for the first letter in launchbox, probably he is going to implement the same for bigbox, and with more characters

18 minutes ago, Drodrick said:

That right, but for my is much more faster to tap -metroid  in bigbox that looking for the game with the gamepad navigator, especially if a have a collection of 3000 Snes Games,and the performance can be slower, I used to had this option in worst frontends, it seems rare that a piece of software like bigbox does not have the same.

The good new is that jason has implemented this function just for the first letter in launchbox, probably he is going to implement the same for bigbox, and with more characters

I may be spitballing here but I think one of the reasons BigBox may not have it is that BigBox is more for cabinet style maneuvering which in many cases do not use keyboards as standard in their set-up. Typically arcade controllers and gamepads. If you notice LaunchBox and BigBox are navigated in two different ways. LaunchBox navigates mainly with keyboard and mouse (for pc set-ups) and the controller/arcade style navigation is mainly in BigBox (arcade cabinet style navigation). May be why Jason put the feature in Launchbox and not BigBox. Just my thoughts on probably why we do not have it for now. Jason could put it in BigBox someday, but I would recommend making a bitbucket ticket so the community can vote on it and Jason can see how much the community may want it. 

Edited by Retro808
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aevans0001 said:

this is already implemented in big box, go to the rom list and press left and it pulls up the *,#,A-Z.  I don't think he can implement it without because of the other hotkeys.  For instance I have a hotkey programmed for f and some controllers use letters to search.  

Yes i know, so you are talking about the gamepad navigator, not keyboard alpha jumping, both are great, You have reason wit the another keys, I think it shoul be an activatable option, In my another frontend gameex said for example:

Enable letter select: YES/ NO : Enable jumping in the list by typing the first letter of an item. For some arcade controls you may want to turn this off as certain controls can be mapped to letters, which could cause inadvertently jumping in the list.

Edited by Drodrick

3 minutes ago, Drodrick said:

Yes i know, so you are talking about the gamepad navigator, not keyboard alpha jumping, both are great, You have reason wit the another keys, I think it must an activatable option, In my another frontend gameex said for example:

Enable letter select: YES/ NO : Enable jumping in the list by typing the first letter of an item. For some arcade controls you may want to turn this off as certain controls can be mapped to letters, which could cause inadvertently jumping in the list.

Yeah I agree, I wish it was an option to select.  I could always remap my hotkeyts to be things like tab and f1-F12 buttons.  You should create a new request for it and make sure and vote for it yourself and then post it, so I can also vote for it

8 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I may be spitballing here but I think one of the reasons BigBox may not have it is that BigBox is more for cabinet style maneuvering which in many cases do not use keyboards as standard in their set-up. Typically arcade controllers and gamepads. If you notice LaunchBox and BigBox are navigated in two different ways. LaunchBox navigates mainly with keyboard and mouse (for pc set-ups) and the controllers style navigation is mainly in BigBox (arcade cabinet style navigation). May be why Jason put the feature in Launchbox and not BigBox. Jason could put it in BigBox someday, but I would recommend making a bitbucket ticket so the community can vote on it and Jason can see how much the community may want it. 

Yes that's right, so if a person that have bigbox does not mean that he has a cabinet, like me :| I just have my pc, gamepad and keyboard jejeje, a selectable option should be ok

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Aevans0001 said:

I wonder how hard it would be to  make these member functions work in both bigbox and launchbox.  I mean I like the look of bigbox, but there really isn't a reason why as a purchaser I shouldnt be able to access some of the same features in launchbox also.  

Yeh that's right, I know there are a lot of more important request than this one jejeje, so this little changes make the BIG differences compared with other frontends like PDF reader for example, create subfolders, play music in the games details!, a lot of customizable filters!, can view the reverse of the box, auto merging, the awesome DATABASE B| and etc...  I came here for this little options,

Those are good options for take a better position from another softwares, due that all this apps have the same purpose, organize your library! the question is which make it better?

I follow your advice to create a bitbucket, I'm going to try my luck with @Jason Carr with this entry jejeje, if you want to vote, it should be ok, thank you

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/3856/being-able-to-jump-game-title-letters-in

Edited by Drodrick