LaunchBox Community Forums

Config Neo Geo Cd?

slashguns04

I've been playing around with Raine32, NeoGeo CD games and LaunchBox recently. While Raine doesn't mind if the NeoCD bios is zipped or extracted, it would not launch zipped games due to the IPL.TXT file not found. I'm not really sure what this file's full role is. It seems that each game zip needs it's own IPL.TXT file. Apparently it's used to decide the initial files in the zip to load. I've sourced several NeoGeo CD games from various places and not one of them contained an IPL.TXT file. What I did was to extract the zipped games and place the extracted game folders in Raine's roms folder where my NEOCD bios is. Some games consist of an ISO and music files, others an IMG, a CUE and music files, and so on. Using the ISO or CUE launches the games ok. To get LaunchBox to launch NeoGeo CD games with Raine don't use the -g parameter in the Edit Emulator's Default Command Line Parameters. You can use the optional -nogui parameter. Then just point LaunchBox to the game's ISO or CUE etc. I've noticed that the same game can be say 40MB or 400MB depending on the source. The difference in size is down to the music files - a game might use MP3 files and the same game from a different source use the much bigger WAV files. Raine can also play NeoGeo cart games (the ones that Mame, WinKawaks etc plays), as well as Capcom CPS1 and CPS2 games, but I already use WinKawaks for these games. So how do these CD games compare with the cart versions for me? The CD music quality aside, I don't see any differences in the games. Some of the cart versions I play with WinKawaks actually look better, but I haven't played with Raine's video settings or shaders yet. The annoying thing is the almost total absence of documentation. I grabbed a text doc but it's for a much older Raine and I can't tell whats still valid and what's not.

I'm using NeoRaine for NeoGeo CD games and I don't had to struggle with TXT files or such. Some games have, besides the better music quality, additional features like the Combat School in Metal Slug 1 & 2 in their CD version. On the other hand some games are missing frames and animations compared to their cart version. Here's a list which features some games and their differences of the various versions: http://www.gamefaqs.com/neogeocd/916662-neo-geo-cd/faqs/51773

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I was just wondering something. I am using NeoRaine for my Neo Geo CD games, but whenever I launch my games through Launchbox, I get a window where I have to manually push "Start game" to play the game. I tried the -g -nogui but then the emulator don't launch at all. Is there a command line to get straight to the game istead of having to push "Start game" or am I missing something? 

Never mind :) I removed the -g and now it's all good :)

Edited by Temon
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2016 at 7:50 PM, CriticalCid said:

Oh sorry, I kinda missed that your games are zipped. I’m using RocketLauncher to launch all my games. It extracts all of my games before the game starts so that was never a problem for me. Sorry for the confusion.

Hi Cid!

I have Rl too and keep getting the IPL.txt error.  I have 7zip extraction enabled but cant get it to run.  Outside of LB and RL, I can load the game and play it just fine.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Thanks!  I wound up using Full Burn Alpha a few days back and im golden now. 

Not a bad lil emulator.  Used all emulators made for the platforms, and no Retroarch.  Love retroarch, but wanted to use the originals.

Finally finished up my cab .  All games and controls for each all running through Rocketlauncher.  Still have a ton of media missing.  Primary going after Marquees

Edited by latin625

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...