LaunchBox Community Forums

Anyone Using RocketLauncher with LB?

angelobodetti

I have seen some older posts of people using RocketLauncher but wanted to check in to see if anyone is still using it with LaunchBox and what their thoughts are? I am thinking about using it because it can open/close xpadder profiles per game. I need that for some Taito Type X games that don't have native controller support as well as other emulators. It would also give me the flexibility to run any front end I want without needing to "build" from scratch.

I don't use it but I know there are some people who do. It does have some benefits like the loading and pause screens, the xpadder profiles like you mentioned and you can switch frontends with little hassle. If those are features you want then it's a great idea. Personally I just don't need those features so I don't bother with it.

The Simply Austin videos show how to use xpadder and shows the games that do have native controller support. The issue with emulators/games that don't have native controller support is that you'll need to use xpadder (or something similar). In those cases LB isn't capable of loafing an xpadder profile when you load a specific game and then close it when you're done. That's where RocketLauncher comes in because it does do that (as well as other things).

lordmonkus said Just out of curiosity but is it possible to load an xpadder profile using the "Additional Apps" feature within LB ?
Yea should be able to use it. I know some users use additional apps and / or command line to accomplish stuff like that.

Still use RocketLauncher here. I'll help you if you need any advice on how to set it up. They just did a massive update however and are still working out the kinks. Two new features: Bezel with embedded shader (how that works I have no idea), but more importantly to me, "Suspend Front End", which suspends the front end software you're running while emulating to free up some resources. Its hard for me to remember it as being difficult to set up, I just know that a lot of people think it is, but I've been messing with it for years at this point so I know my perception of this is askew. I will say if the features appeal to you, its very possible to use with LB and if you're meticulous and have time to dedicate, it'll do some awesome things to the look of your cab or htpc. Another thing the dev is all about: troubleshooting. He'll embed common errors in the modules which can often give you insight into why something isn't working as it should. It also does some interesting stuff for emulators. A prime example of this is what it does for RetroArch. You can organize your configurations per system, and if the config file is named the same as the system in RL, RL will automatically launch that config for you. So if a core emulates multiple systems, its no hassle to have it launch with different configs for each system. It also automatically creates a folder in your RA directory called SRM and then every time you use an in game save, creates a [System Name] folder in that directory to organize your saves for you. There's countless little back end perks like that. On the other hand, Launchbox handles launching pretty flawlessly as well, and with the new addition of zip support, is a strong back-end in its own right, and much easier and less time consuming. If all you're looking for is to control your xpadder profiles, it sounds like you might want to use the suggestions above.

I wouldn't necessarily say RocketLauncher is difficult as much as it is overwhelming with all the different tabs and menus. It's just crazy how much stuff there is in it. Once you spend a few minutes wrapping your head around it all it sort of starts to make more sense. It's a very deep program but to do all that it does it has to be.