LaunchBox Community Forums

NeoGeo via FBA (Final Burn Alpha) in Retroarch - games won't launch

veeshan28

Hey folks, I'm new to Launchbox but have successfully gotten a nice collection of NES, Genesis, SNES and N64 games up and running since Saturday, and I'm really enjoying it. Now I've spent a while trying to get NeoGeo going, but I'm not having any success. I read that Final Burn Alpha was considered the best of the options between FBA and Mame, so I got the core through Retroarch like usual. I had to add NeoGeo since it wasn't listed as a system with default command line parameters, so I just used the typical formula -L "fba_libretro.dll" (forgive me if that's off, its from memory). I've tried a few different sets of ROMS, one of which should be considered current enough. Each time I've had an identical bios file (neogeo.zip) in the folder containing the roms themselves, as well as retroarch's system folder. Unfortunately, anytime I double click a Neogeo game in launchbox, like I would for any other system, nothing happens. The mouse has a "loading blue circle" for 1 or 2 seconds, and then nothing. Yesterday, I tried it direct through retroarch, I went to "load content" and picked a game and it loaded right up. What could be wrong with how Launchbox is interacting with FBA/Retroarch? I've searched everywhere and I'm at the end of my rope trying to figure it out on my own. Thanks!

So the command does need to be -L "cores (backslash) fba_libretro.dll". The forums don't like backslashes, so one needs to be there. Assuming that is correct, do the names in the Associated platform match the name of the System? In LaunchBox, on the left where your systems are listed, make sure the name matches in Associated Platform, they need to in order for the commands to be ran successfully. Are other cores with BIOS running properly? I am fairly certain the BIOS just need to be located with the games (at least as far as MAME is concerned) but RA confuses things a bit more in that regard and MAME is already super confusing. If all else fails, you can also try the stand alone emulator or MAME.

SentaiBrad said So the command does need to be -L "cores (backslash) fba_libretro.dll". The forums don't like backslashes, so one needs to be there. Assuming that is correct, do the names in the Associated platform match the name of the System? In LaunchBox, on the left where your systems are listed, make sure the name matches in Associated Platform, they need to in order for the commands to be ran successfully. Are other cores with BIOS running properly? I am fairly certain the BIOS just need to be located with the games (at least as far as MAME is concerned) but RA confuses things a bit more in that regard and MAME is already super confusing. If all else fails, you can also try the stand alone emulator or MAME.
Thanks for the response. Ah yes, the command you mentioned sounds accurate, including the core folder and the backslash. I did name the system "NeoGeo" since I'm 99% sure that is how the games heading is leading on the left side with the other platforms. I haven't messed much with other BIOS based cores, but I plan to. Maybe I'll jump over to experimenting with one of them. I'll keep those ideas in mind, thanks.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm determined to figure this out. So far I've tried 3 cores, fb_alpha_neo_libretro.dll, fb_alpha_libretro.dll and fba_libretro.dll. None of those 3 do anything in Launchbox, but all 3 work in Retroarch independently. Can anyone with a functioning setup show me their Retroarch settings under the Edit section? "Emulator Details" and "Associated Platforms" and anything else that might be relevant? I feel like I must be missing something here. In my searches I've seen a page listing Emulator Settings, and it mentions command line details for FBA: %name -r 640x480x32 Is that relevant for hosting Retroarch through Launchbox? Where would I put that? Did anything use/not use it?

SentaiBrad said If you need any more help, we have tutorials on our YouTube channel. Click the link in my signature.
Thanks Brad. Your 'easy setup' video was a huge help for me with getting the basics going a few days. Unfortunately it doesn't look like any of the videos quite relates to the FBA setup yet. I've tried gleaning some extra tips from a few others, but haven't gotten any further.

No that wouldn't be the same in RA. I'm out and on my phone so I can't do any relevant screen shots at the moment. In manage emulators you would put -L "cores\fb_alpha_neo_libretto.dll" -L "cores\fb_alpha_libretto.dll" -L"cores\fba.libretro.dll" In the command line

veeshan28 said
SentaiBrad said If you need any more help, we have tutorials on our YouTube channel. Click the link in my signature.
Thanks Brad. Your 'easy setup' video was a huge help for me with getting the basics going a few days. Unfortunately it doesn't look like any of the videos quite relates to the FBA setup yet. I've tried gleaning some extra tips from a few others, but haven't gotten any further.
Not specifically no, but they can all still easily relate to each other. MAME will be coming soon too. I am also glad that they did help you at all, I appreciate the kind words too. I just finished recording tomorrow's actually. Time to edit. :P

I am trying to use RetroArch 1.3.2 to run NeoGeo and got into same problem as op. Here it the solution I found 1. add -L "cores\fb_alpha_libretro.dll" to Associated Platform and check Default Emulator 2. uncheck the "Extract ROMS archives before running"

playpopo said I am trying to use RetroArch 1.3.2 to run NeoGeo and got into same problem as op. Here it the solution I found 1. add -L "cores\fb_alpha_libretro.dll" to Associated Platform and check Default Emulator 2. uncheck the "Extract ROMS archives before running"
Yooooo, that did it! For some reason "Extract ROMs..." WAS on by default. Never touched that box until now, but after unchecking it, its loading right up. Thanks so much! :)

• 5 months later...

I was having the same problem and ran across this thread.  I had setup the emulator core and associated platform name correctly: "SNK NeoGeo" in my case.  Cores as: -L "cores\fbalpha_libretro.dll".  Before I read this thread, I grasped at straws and tried selecting "Extract ROMS archives before running" to see if it helped -- it did not.  After reading this thread, I then UNCHECKED "Extract ROMS archives before running" and the games launched.  This box was unchecked by default.  I'm not sure why checking and then unchecking it again solved my problem, but it did.

I realize this post is a bit late, but just in case it helps -- this thread came up first in a quick google search.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey guys. I'm so close to getting NeoGeo ROM's working, but somethings not right. 

I've downloaded the bios, and managed to get them to work through RetroArch using fbalpha2012_neogeo core, but when I add them to Launchbox, they aren't loading. 

in 'emulation' on the edit game screen, I've added -L "cores\fbalpha2012_neogeo_libretro.dll" to the default command-line parameters, but when I click 'play', nothing happens. No error or anythings. 

The only box that is ticked is 'attempt to hide console window on startup/shutdown'. I'm missing something! Any suggestions?

You should add that command line to the actual emulator. So go to tools/manage emulators, double click Retroarch and go to the associated platforms tab. Add your platform here and name it exactly the same as it is named in Launchbox, then add the command line to the right of it. You may also need to bulk edit the roms to use that emulator, just click a game in that platform then ctrl A to highlight them all, then ctrl E to open the bulk edit wizard, select emulator from the dropdown, then retroarch from the second dropdown.

If that doesn't work or you have any other questions just ask.