LaunchBox Community Forums

Organize mame roms by systems

Johnnydement

You will not need to download any metadata, the tool actually adds the metadata for you on import. I have used it to add a filtered list of about 3500 arcade games from my complete Mame 0.173 collection, which is somewhere around 18,000 games complete. All the metadata was added automatically from the associated info files that the tool uses, including many games that do not have any data in the LaunchBox database currently.

SentaiBrad said They wont download metadata properly unless you add them as Arcade then Bulk Edit their system name though, which you can easily just do within LaunchBox. You don't need the software.
Please explain what you mean by that. The metadata is parsed from History.dat, independently of the platform you import to. You can check the CPS1 platform only, click on its name to rename it to whatever you want and the games will be imported into this platform, with all metadata. Same for CPS2, CPS3, Neogeo etc. In fact, you can pick ANY source from the dropdown menu and export a list matching just Model2 games, for example, or STV games or literally every single system supported by Mame. Just check the box, give it a nice name and that platform will be created as well, with all metadata in it. About the metadata, the next release (in a day or two) will fix a problem that is not actually a problem, where games marked as " export" in history.dat will now get the metadata parsed from the main game, so the metadata will be quite extensive. "You don't need the software"... please ignore this comment. It's just SentaiBrad doing what he does best :) Pretty sure he is not paying attention to development of my program, especially to make a comment like this. Definitely not coming from a user, so pay attention to actual users instead... Try the software (wait a day or two until the next version is up) and make up your own mind. It's free of charge, so you have nothing to lose. -Kris

I talked to Brad about this; he didn't mean to offend and certainly didn't mean to imply that Lightspeed wasn't useful. Sometimes Brad comes off as insensitive (as you already know). His intentions are never poor, though. He really wants to respond and explain himself here but I am trying to end this here and now to stop any further drama. Brad's words never come from ill intentions, but he isn't the best at explaining things in a sensitive manner. My apologies for the trouble here. But Antropus, if you would be so kind as to help promote peace in this community instead of drama, I'd really appreciate it.

I tried light speed relay quick about a month ago and it seemed to do just what LB already douse , but than again maybe im just not as demanding as some? if it douse do a better job maybe it will be implemented in to LB? is their one thing that stands out that would be the best reason to yous LS VS.. LB ? thanks..

eric said I tried light speed relay quick about a month ago and it seemed to do just what LB already douse , but than again maybe im just not as demanding as some? if it douse do a better job maybe it will be implemented in to LB? is their one thing that stands out that would be the best reason to yous LS VS.. LB ? thanks..
Read the progress of the changes in the lightspeed thread (link above). There's no comparison as far as what it can do. LB is great software, but in the area Lightspeed specializes in (arcade game organization and tagging) it is in another league. I'm not going to bother listing all the stuff it can do because it has already been fully documented with pictures, etc by the author in that thread.

Wow, this scalated quickly xD I tried LS yesterday night and worked like a charm, i still have doubts in some aspects and will redo when te new version comes out. I've noticed many games not having any image though, nor Lightbox being able to find any afterwards. CPS-1 games for instance, have emumovies videos, but not image. Confused On the other hand, metadata is really complete. Suggestions for replacing mame in some? I prefer final burn for cps1-2, shoud I stikc to mame for the rest?

It's drawing the images from the image folder that you point it to, so that you can use a complete art set which are easy to find and download online at places I'm not allowed to talk about. If your images are incomplete, then they are not in your folder. For any missing images you can download an art set, or use LB database. Way easier to download a set.

Drybonz said It's drawing the images from the image folder that you point it to, so that you can use a complete art set which are easy to find and download online at places I'm not allowed to talk about. If your images are incomplete, then they are not in your folder. For any missing images you can download an art set, or use LB database. Way easier to download a set.
Ah ok, though I would be where the parser would download goodies ;) Gotta use my extras folder again! hehe

I rushed a new version out so you guys can try. Please report anything broken since a whole lot of new code was introduced recently: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/lightspeed-ultra-fast-mame-importer-tool/page-14#p18370tab4.png Cheers, -Kris

Antropus said I rushed a new version out so you guys can try. Please report anything broken since a whole lot of new code was introduced recently: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/lightspeed-ultra-fast-mame-importer-tool/page-14#p18370tab4.png Cheers, -Kris
Gonna get latest 174 set/chd/extras first ;)