LaunchBox Community Forums

What Kind of music do you listen?

nmc

To be fair, there are some artists that practically define themselves by having a varying/inconsistent style from one album to another. Stuff like Goldfrapp, for example.

That's a little easier to swallow when that very inconsistency is consistent from one album to another though; and each album has it's own internal consistency. I feel like once you establish a distinctive sound across multiple albums and then just decide to do something completely different it makes it harder to accept. Of course, I fully support artists having the freedom to do whatever they want creatively, but it's difficult to change things to a significant degree and not alienate your existing audience; and at the same time you don't want to sound exactly the same from one album to the next or else you start to bore people. It's a difficult balance, I think.

Yep haha. I really like Goldfrapp, especially their more avant garde stuff ala Felt Mountain. I've always been more a fan of their folkie side than their pop side. I've heard Silver Eye is sortof a mix of the two. I haven't actually listened to it yet. I'll have to give it a spin today.

• Like 1

Hi @Zombeaver, yeah I've heard of kasabian... loved their first album, since then I think they've gone downhill and have become a much more commercial entity but that happens when you're successful....you want more of it. either that or your record company push you for more of it.

just for the record, I'm from England and at the moment I have a real preference for American bands, especially if they're up and coming or just striving for some kind of success. the music most bands make at that point seems more real and a lot easier to connect with. the scene,  seems to ebb and flow between Europe and America..i tend to follow what excites me musically. in the mid '90s it was indie and a lot of that was coming from the uk in the form of 'britpop', image isn't as important to me as it used to be 

since then ive grown bored with commercial rock and tried to find something that feels more real. 

Edited by slimskinny

8 minutes ago, slimskinny said:

just for the record, I'm from England and at the moment I have a real preference for American bands, especially if they're up and coming or just striving for some kind of success. the music most bands make at that point seems more real and a lot easier to connect with. the scene,  seems to ebb and flow between Europe and America..i tend to follow what excites me musically. in the mid '90s it was indie and a lot of that was coming from the uk in the form of 'britpop', image isn't as important to me as it used to be 

I kindof just listen to a whole lot of stuff and when I find something that works for me it leads to a lot of tangential rabbit hole searching. Country of origin is never even a factor for me - if I find something I like, I like it. It just so happens that that leads to a not insignificant number of "Oh, hey, they're from Europe" moments. There are still plenty of US-based bands that I really enjoy though.

(funnily enough, Melody Gardot is American but from what I understand is a lot more popular in Europe than she is over here)

I've heard the name, though I haven't heard any of their stuff before.

Musically/instrumentation wise I like it, but something about the vocals aren't quite doing it for me. It's a little different stylistically too - I tend to like the stuff that's a bit like stadium/arena rock in folk form. That specific niche is something that Of Monsters and Men, Mumford & Sons, and The Oh Hellos really nail. Folk "anthem" rock I guess. Genre names are dumb...

I get you, that must be why I like it. love the vocals. quite like of monsters and men but mumford and sons..they're not quite my bag..i like a bit of grit, I my music (not in my food though) and mumford and sons are a little too smooth (I'm not sure that's the right word) and definatley far too stadium/arena rock/folk for me... its a fine line, I'm sure

Fair enough.

And now, as they'd say on Flying Circus, for something completely different.

A bunch of stuff I used to be super into but haven't broken out in a really long time:

Ozric Tentacles have been around for many many moons, though with various members coming and going over the years. Their sound hasn't really changed a whole lot though, despite that; in fact the phrase is often tossed around that if you've heard one of their albums you've heard them all. That's kinda true I guess, but it also means if you like pretty much anything you hear from them, you'll probably like all of it. I still really like these guys, I just have to be in the right mood to listen to them.

There was a period when I thought The Human Equation was the greatest album ever made. I find it kinda cringey now, but I still respect the musicianship and I still have a soft spot for concept albums, even though they seem to fall flat on their face more often than they succeed.

This one's basically the same story as Ayreon - I used to be really into Symphony X but over time I just couldn't get into this kind of stuff much anymore. I still think Symphony X kicks Dream Theater's ass though haha.

Here we go again, basically the same story - I used to blast the shit out of Kurenai by X Japan when I was in high school. Again, really talented musicians but this stuff is pretty cringe haha.

I suppose most people probably change their tastes over time. The internet is a big part of that. There was a period where I listened to nothing but Korn, but I didn't know any better because I had a very small (relatively speaking) amount of music that I'd actually been exposed to. There's way more stuff out there than any of us will ever be able to listen to, which is why it amazes me that turning on the radio leads to the same handful of songs over and over and over. I have no idea why people would lock themselves down to the same handful of bands when there's an incalculable amount of stuff out there waiting for people to find. Thanks to things like last.fm/pandora/spotify and sites like bandcamp and soundcloud that's not even that difficult - find something you like and see what pops up as related or similar. Many of my favorite bands I found that way - it almost never starts out looking for them specifically.