LaunchBox Community Forums

Mednafen Saturn Setup Tutorial

Lordmonkus

working: Crusader, Crypt Killer, Cyber Speedway, Cyberia, D, Dark Legend, Darklight Conflict, Daytona USA CCE (both regular and netlink addition are working) Deep Fear, Defcon 5, Die Hard Arcade, Doom, Double Switch, Dragonheart, Duke Nukem 3d, Earthworm Jim 2, Enemy Zero,

non-working: Die Hard Trilogy, Dragon Force F1 Challenge (can't choose a vehicle after picking game mode)

I had a chance to sit down this morning, watch your video tutorial and get my Mednafen setup straightened out.  It turns out my problems were from re-naming the bios files from another emulator setup.  I used your bios files and I was good to go.

Thanks for starting this thread, I appreciate it.

I'm not sure if you got it sorted out yet @DOS76 , but Dragon Force for sure works. Try using CD-Mage or Isobuster to create a new bin/cue.

I've tested close to 70 games and thus far only Astal and Virtual Fighter have serious problems - Astal has audio and sometimes crashing problems. Virtual Fighter hangs after starting a match.

EDIT: The Astal problems are intermittent. I've played to the end of the first level and crashed on the first level, with no changes made to the rip.

@Zombeaver I have Dragon Force running now. II tried the tool that was suggested on here but it says my discs are fine when I scan them the copy on another one of my PC's is playing fine so I'll just copy that over. I'm really impressed so far by how highly compatible it is.. I've tested all US games from A-N so far and I don't think I'm over 5 games that won't load.

Yabause was "ok". The stand alone version was serviceable but because of no opengl support in the RA core it was brutally slow. The one thing that always stuck in my craw with Yabause was in the game Darius Gaiden was the missing sound effects. SSF while it was / is a pain in the ass with the mounting of disk images is a good emulator.

SSFs development was just extremely slow almost to glacial pace at this point in time and the Yabause developer switched his focus to the mobile market so the stand alone development stalled. Oh well, we finally got a real Saturn emu and I couldn't be any more happy.

What a crazy week this has been for a time when gaming is supposed to be dead in the middle of summer. We get a great new Saturn emulator, we get Enderal the ultimate Skyrim total conversion mod and No Mans Sky which unfortunately for me has been pushed aside for the other two, lol.

I feel like I just got a brand new Saturn! For any users with multiple computers after running a game for the first time the 3 files that RA creates in the game folder can be moved to the other computers files assuming they are named the same of course and when you start the game it will load right to the bios. I'm curious is anyone setting the time and date correctly when they start the game? I did it like for the 1st 2 games and was like F this I doubt that it will make any difference.