LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Games Database Changes - 2016/08/15

Jason Carr

21 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Hey guys, all I can say is it's extremely difficult to make everyone happy. I personally prefer systems to be merged in order to help prevent duplicates and keep consistency at its best.

Rather than rename platforms to match RocketLauncher, we need a way to just match them up. I can add a field, for example, called RocketLauncher Platform or something that can solve that problem. I need to speak further with the RocketLauncher guys to come up with some improvements.

The update metadata without changing platform thing is still on my shortlist, so I'll get to it soon but I'm not sure exactly when @Jazzphone.

Please jason, remember adding a tag for languages, making posible to add in what languages is available the game (including fantranlations)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Gotcha @Freestate. Do we have a ticket for that in the LaunchBox Games Database BitBucket?

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/issues/30/add-entry-languages-including

Example:

Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden 1

Languages:

Japanese (Japan Release)

French (Euro Release)

English (Fantranslation) Link http://www.romhacking.net/translations/330/

Edited by Freestate
better
  • Like 2

On 16/08/2016 at 1:58 AM, Jason Carr said:

One more thing to note, going forward (hopefully next week) I'll be working on adding Regions to games so that you can specify the regions where a game was released. We'll also be adding alternate titles with associated regions as well as adding multiple release dates with associated regions.

Awesome news \o/

On 17/08/2016 at 11:49 PM, Freestate said:

Please jason, remember adding a tag for languages, making posible to add in what languages is available the game (including fantranlations)

That's indeed a good idea !

• Like 1

On 16/8/2016 at 1:30 AM, Jason Carr said:

Hey everybody, just got done with my work today on the LaunchBox Games Database. Going forward I am hoping to spend one day a week on LaunchBox Games Database development.

In the live stream this morning, we worked primarily on managing the region and platform data. We added a bunch of new regions to the regions lists, as well as merged, removed, and added some platforms:

• Merged SNES and Super Famicom
  • Merged Genesis, Mega Drive, and Nomad
  • Merged Game Boy and Super Game Boy
  • Renamed Neo Geo platforms to SNK Neo Geo
  • Renamed Daphe to LaserDisc
  • Renamed NEC SuperGrafx to PC Engine SuperGrafx
  • Added Nintendo Game & Watch
  • Added SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Added Nintendo Satellaview
  • Added Taito Type X
  • Added XaviXPORT
  • Added Mattel Hyperscan
  • Added Game Wave Family Entertainment System
  • Added Sega CD 32X
  • Probably more that I forgot about

Then this afternoon I just added support for adding new developers and publishers (yay!). The interface is exactly the same as it was before but the text boxes will now let you add a new developer or publisher if the item that you've typed does not exist.

Finally, we're still seeing some issues with games not getting deleted after game deletions successfully make their way through the moderation process. Thankfully though no data is ever lost because I am able to go in and manually delete these games after the fact. So we are now caught up on game deletions but I have not yet fixed the underlying issue. I added error logging to the site to catch these errors and figure out exactly what is going on for next week.

Thank you everyone for your continued support and work on the LaunchBox Games Database. I realize we still have a way to go to make things ideal (and that it's been a while) but things should be improving quickly from here on out. :)

Can you get separated NEC PC Engina and Nec PC Turbografx ?? In RLauncher is ok

Also in NEC PC Engine CD and NEC PC Turbografx CD

Donald vs Hillary, Pepsi vs Coke, Whopper vs Big Mac, Separate vs Combined these are life's important questions and the 1st 3 are trick questions because they are all shitty unhealthy choices

There is never going to be consensus on this topic. There just needs to be a final decision on which to go forward with and then actually do so for every system so if it is to be separate then they should all be separate and it it is combined they should all be combined. I personally prefer separate but as long as the situation is taken care of where I can import them separately and get correct regional data then I don't care how it is handled on the DB side

• Like 2

2 hours ago, virgilio27 said:

Can you get separated NEC PC Engina and Nec PC Turbografx ?? In RLauncher is ok

Also in NEC PC Engine CD and NEC PC Turbografx CD

Separating systems acording their regions could lead us to a bunch of duplicates because the great diference in many titles on their western releases, and more dificult to audit. Jason is adding these days regional info on database, as it you could separate regional games on views soon. To have a consolidate database is best to not split games of same platforms and next add the necesary work on launchbox to manage the existing info. Be patient.

11 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

We will not be separating out systems by region, except for a few problem systems where the hardware was actually different between the different regions.

Ok, no problem. 

But is there any way to do the following?
I have the DB of Hyperspin with NEC Turbografx CD and NEC PC Engine CD.
I Have the roms in folders separate.
How could I have 2 system in Launchbox?

NEC Turbografx CD is easy because it is default, but how can I include the NEC PC Engine CD outside of Turbografx CD.

Sorry for my english. Bing Translator :(

On 8/25/2016 at 1:37 PM, Freestate said:

Separating systems acording their regions could lead us to a bunch of duplicates because the great diference in many titles on their western releases, and more dificult to audit. Jason is adding these days regional info on database, as it you could separate regional games on views soon. To have a consolidate database is best to not split games of same platforms and next add the necesary work on launchbox to manage the existing info. Be patient.

Not if you use Hyperspin rom sets. The PC Engine and Turbografx in those sets don't contain duplicates unless there are noticeable differences between the two regions. The PC Engine set is also restricted to games that can be played without knowledge of Japanese, meaning that every game in that set is playable.

You may say they are the same but the Turbografx had a much smaller library released specifically for it so a lot of people like keeping them seperate. The artwork is completely different as well. PC engine games were sold in CD cases with a HUcard inside. Turbografx came in a rectangular cardboard box. 

Keeping them separate keeps things organized and looking consistent.

No intro set are not the most complete, not by a long shot. They might be popular because they are easy to find but I wouldn't use them. 

If people don't want to split their sets, that's up to them. I don't care what they do. If they want to keep using no-intro, again, that's their choice.

Edited by Styphelus

What it should be guys is both parties should have the option to get what you want in LB and BB for the database there had to be a decision and the decision is not to split the sets so basically now you are debating something that is already been decided on and most likely isn't going to change again.

• Like 1

The decision not to split them was made for the LB database which is fine.

Virgilio27 was asking if he could split them since he has them both in separate folders. I'm assuming is an ex HS user. He just needs to add a custom platform and scrape as Turbografx. It's easy.

• Like 2