LaunchBox Community Forums

1080P Platform Videos w/Shaders Project

kmoney

I have not been using the full screen video option within BigBox because I am very anal on certain things and do not feel the typical videos you get from emumovies are good enough for fullscreen on a 1080P or above. Don't get me wrong they are great for smaller sized video boxes as that what they are intended for.

So I have decided I will start a project for 1080P platform videos with scanline shaders,and proper size ratio with bezels applied that I recorded myself from my own game footage. Also the games I chose for the footage may not be to everbody's taste but its the games I enjoyed and played the most from my childhood.

This bezel I applied to the first video for the Sega Genesis, I did not create and will get permission from creator before I put this in the downloads section. I am not sure if maybe in the future I might make the videos without the bezels if @Jason Carr can maybe create where a bezel can be applied within BigBox and it would also be awesome to have an option to make the wheels fade also. I have set the Background Fade to 0% within BigBox to see the video more clearly. You need to view the youtube video in fullscreen 1080P to get the best quality. This is also my first time doing something like this with video editing and etc. so it might not be the greatest.

• Like 8

Thanks  @Jason Carr, I think I will wait to make more of these videos until I can find another universal bezel because I like the bezels to be unified and some of the platform videos I want to create does not have a bezel that match the platform. It would be great if we had at least one great looking universal bezel and would go with any platform and not be obtrusive and take anything away from the video itself. I liked this bezel because it is very simple and subtle and does not distract from the video gameplay but as you can see its for the Sega Genesis platform only. I could also make them without any bezel at all but you would have black empty space on both sides of the screen.

• Like 2

I like it and I am not a video kind of guy but just my initial thoughts of it and what I would like to see is if you shifted the video to the right eliminating the right bezel and having some sort of generic wider bezel on the left hand side that doesn't interfere with the system logos.

• Like 1

Circo has mentioned to me just recently that he's either working on 1080p videos, or wants to start soon... It came up briefly during one of our conversations. I'll send him a PM and see where he stands on this as I think it's a great idea as some of the video sets are in desperate need of an "upgrade" anyhow. If we can come together and get some sort of established guideline for proper recording/encoding for quality control (like what we have now for the current video snaps) I'd be more then happy to start working on pumping these out! I think the bezel\overlay idea is fantastic for systems that are native 4:3. For widescreen systems, (PSP, Wii, etc) I don't see the need for a bezel but we could instead place a small system logo in the lower left or right corner. If we wanted to use bezels/overlays for those systems as well, there certainly are some great ones floating around out there provided we can get permission to use them. I personally would like to see them used for the handheld systems and they add more of a "nostalgic" vibe!

EDIT: I want to point out that I'm not just talking about platform videos, but general video snaps as well.

Edited by Riffman81
  • Like 2

Specifically though, I hadn't seen what could really be done with 1080p video snaps and shaders, and man oh man, I love the way @kmoney's video looks with the scanlines. By the way, what shaders are you using @kmoney?

@Riffman81, just caught your edit. That is very, very exciting. The thought of 1080p snaps for all the games makes me giddy.

• Like 1

@lordmonkus Thanks for the feedback as I agree the videos would look better shifted to the right.

@Riffman81 Great ideas there, that sounds great that @circo is working on some 1080P videos

@Jason Carr I think that is a great idea for the wheels platform view do something similar that @CriticalCid did with the hyperspin themes for the full size videos eliminating the need for a bezel at all for the 4:3 systems. I think he did that with a custom theme if I remember correctly? The shader I am using with the videos is the crt geom shader in retroarch. Its a simple shader that looks very good how it comes,it just needs a few adjustments to remove the curved screen.I had tried to use crt royale kurozumi at first but it had weird effects in it after I recorded it for some reason and it looks best when retroarch is in integer scale anyway which would not look good with these videos.

• Like 1

So what I'm hearing right now from @circo is that the new Wii and PSP video snaps are being recorded in HD. From what I understand, the file sizes are quite large. Not sure what the plan will be going forward with the older systems but I also brought up the idea of doing something exclusive for LaunchBox/BigBox. Not sure exactly what we can come up with, but I was thinking if we had a certain theme style that no other frontend could reproduce in any way, we might be able to do something neat with the videos that would be exclusive to LB. The videos for the most part are universal and can be used with any FE out there. I know we have some Game EX Database videos and they're exclusive to that frontend, so I'm thinking along those lines. But for now, we have two new HD sets to look forward to. While we're on the subject of videos, @Jason Carr are there currently any plans to implement the option to have a startup video in BigBox for us cab users? Also, EmuMovies has a ton of old video game TV adverts archived and it would be cool if we could give the option for users to view them within the game details in BigBox, like viewing the manuals, art, etc. Could store them in the video directory under advert/system name. If you guys have any idea's for videos or something exclusive for LB, put them out there :)

Edited by Riffman81
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Riffman81 said:

So what I'm hearing right now from @circo is that the new Wii and PSP video snaps are being recorded in HD. From what I understand, the file sizes are quite large. Not sure what the plan will be going forward with the older systems but I also brought up the idea of doing something exclusive for LaunchBox/BigBox. Not sure exactly what we can come up with, but I was thinking if we had a certain theme style that no other frontend could reproduce in any way, we might be able to do something neat with the videos that would be exclusive to LB. The videos for the most part are universal and can be used with any FE out there. I know we have some Game EX Database videos and they're exclusive to that frontend, so I'm thinking along those lines. But for now, we have two new HD sets to look forward to. While we're on the subject of videos, @Jason Carr are there currently any plans to implement the option to have a startup video in BigBox for us cab users? Also, EmuMovies has a ton of old video game TV adverts archived and it would be cool if we could give the option for users to view them within the game details in BigBox, like viewing the manuals, art, etc. Could store them in the video directory under advert/system name. If you guys have any idea's for videos or something exclusive for LB, put them out there :)

Wow, I never knew that EmuMovies also has TV commercials for games. Thanks for that info!

I used to create playlists which were playing commercials after the gameplay video for this but I dropped that "project" because it was too laborious to search commercials in a decent quality for every game which had a commercial somewhere in the world.

So I agree that it would be absolutely awesome if LaunchBox could natively support and download those commercials :)

• Like 1

Just an update,I have made some more platform 1080P videos without the bezels. I am currently trying to make a new custom theme that will push the 1080P video over to the right some to cover up the black bar on the right since it does not have a bezel and also give more room for the clear logos on the left. I have not been sucessfful in doing that in the theme. @Jason Carr Is there a way to shift a 1080P fullscreen video over as I have not been able to do it in Visual Studio and if so what settings would I need to change in Visual Studio with xaml?

Great work @kmoney Looks amazing with those scan lines. That's pretty much how I have my set up all the way through - just the wheel and the snaps. Don't really have a need for much else. Only suggestion I would make is to make the videos shorter. The file size is going to be massive if the videos are coming in at 1 minute plus. Your time though so I might just have to buy a bigger hard drive :D

• Like 1