LaunchBox Community Forums

voice rec makes pc hang

orac31

Using latest beta ... voice recognition turned on ... reboot of Launchbox successful but it took a loooong time ... booted into launchbox now ... i dont see any choose your device button @Jason Carr also it hears nothing i say . Im using the mic included in Logitech's HD PRO C90 webcam . Everything recognizes my speech besides Launchbox . Hope this helps!

New beta is out guys with some additional options for the voice recognition, including being able to change the spoken prefix as well as change the speech synthesis voice, thanks to @jadekitten.

However, sadly I still have no idea why some of you are unable to get it to pick up your voice. You can now say, "arcade", "computer", "LaunchBox", or "Big Box" by default in order to wake it up, in addition to any custom spoken prefix that you specify in the options. Do enable debug mode in the voice recognition options if you're having trouble getting it to hear your voice, and let me know what the audio levels are as well as what it thinks you're saying in the voice debug dialog on top.

If the voice debug dialog at the top of the screen is not showing up with debug mode enabled, then I'm willing to bet there is a configuration issue on your machine that is not allowing it to work. It could be any number of things from voice recognition not being installed properly in Windows to something weird like incompatible microphone drivers, or not having a default microphone set up properly on your system, etc. Hopefully I can get back to this at some point for folks who are unable to enable it and try and add some additional debugging information to see what on earth might be causing the problem.

Thanks all. :)

Thanks Jason but the menu comes up in options I can enable it but then nothing.

what I will do tomorrow is bring my launch box drive to my brothers and try it on his pc and see if I have any luck.

love launch box but if I could get this to work it be even better

• Like 1

Sadly I also have no debug menu text on my main windows 10 pc , yet on my laptop (again windows 10 (different key same version) voice is working fine , same mic 

hardware issue in my case ? not sure 

one thing I will say is thew voice reg is working great on the laptop even with my lisp :)

Thanks Jason  

• Like 1

Crosspost from bitbucket: OK, I really got annoyed by voice rec not working. 

Step 1: I changed the owner of my User/ProgramData/Windows/StartMenu Programs to my Account instead of "System". That made the annoying "Can't access folder" error go away. I fire up launchbox, activate voice rec & debug mode, restart... nothing, no debug audio window, no signal. Rechecked Cortana & Windows voice rec, both run fine.

Step 2: I switched my launchbox copy from English (I prefer it because it's easier in forums) to German, restart: Audio meter there, Launchbox even answers... in broken German accent... doesn't understand shit.

Step 3. I switched my windows to English, downloaded the speech pack, did the training. Now voice rec works like a charm in LB and BB.

After seeing Swedish and Italian ppl having the same problems, different speech packs (no Zira in Germany) may be the source of problem for some of you.

Hey all, just put out a new beta that I'm hoping will allow voice recognition to work (in English) on non-English Windows versions. We will be supporting other languages as well eventually but there's a lot of work to do for that yet so that unfortunately won't make it into the 6.9 release. Let me know if this is working for non-English Windows versions.

You may need to install a US English language pack if things aren't working: https://zulja.wordpress.com/2015/08/11/installing-additional-language-packs-for-windows-10-speech-recognition/

Well @Jason Carr, whatever you have done to the voice recognition has worked for me!! I have finally been able to activate it and mess around with it a bit this morning, it does seem to not understand me a bit, but I'm sure that's just my dictation and crappy microphone I'm testing it with rather than the voice recognition itself, so kudos Jason.

However I do have a few issues.

1. when I get a low confidence box popup it hangs the program for about 10-15 seconds and I can't use the program during that time.

2.The exit game voice command doesn't seem to work for me, it understands what I'm saying as I get the exiting game, and what's next bible adventures dialog, but the game continues to run.

3.And this one could be related, my controller automation is also having problems, I hold down "back" and press "start" to exit my games which has always worked fine, but now it often does nothing at all and I have to keep repeating the command over and over for 10 seconds or so then it eventually exits.

So thanks for all your hard work trying to get this feature working for me, we are so close now!

That is really great to hear, @polymorph77. #1 is odd; that's the first I'm hearing of it. I'm curious if you reboot and restart LaunchBox if the issue still remains. Per exiting games via controller automation or voice recognition, they both do the same thing. All they do is sent an Escape virtual key press to the system; unfortunately there are some known issues there. For one, MAME refuses to accept virtual key presses, and so we don't have a good solution there. If the emulator won't accept an Escape virtual key press as a sign to exit, then unfortunately it won't work. I do have plans to improve on this though. I don't understand why it would only work sometimes and not always though; I've never seen that happen before. What emulator were you testing with?

We are going to go ahead with the 6.9 official release today, but of course we will continue to address these issues. :)

Thanks @Jason Carr. I have been doing a bit more digging into it and it appears to me that all 3 issues are related. When I issue a voice command whether it is recognised or not, it seems to take launchbox quite a long time to catchup with itself. It actions what I asked for (or not depending if it understood) then sort of hangs for a bit during which time I cannot issue any more voice commands or use my controller. The controller works fine in the emulator that launches just not while launchbox is just hanging there, launchbox then just sorta wakes up and I can quit the game with the controller again.

Here is a video of it in action.