LaunchBox Community Forums

voice rec makes pc hang

orac31

Alright, new beta is out. This should at least tell us what volume levels (if any) are coming into LaunchBox. There should be a new box that shows up at the top of the screen that will give you an "audio level" of the microphone as you speak. This will at least confirm that LaunchBox is receiving microphone input and at what level. Please let me know what the numbers max out at as you speak. Also test with the accuracy slider back in the center.

I also fixed the Options dialog to stop trying to reset everything when you save the options. So after enabling or disabling voice recognition, a restart will be required before the changes take effect. There shouldn't be any more performance issues when closing the Options dialog.

Hopefully this version will at least help us troubleshoot; let me know what you guys see. Thanks! :)

OK , so now when I check the enable voice box and click OK it only takes a few seconds to apply the change, excellent. However when I then close and re-open launchbox it takes a good 10 minutes or so to launch still, and when it finally does the microphone tab is blank and if I OK in there I get the hang again. Also my mic is working fine for "hey Cortana" so it's working outside of launchbox.

Just downloaded the new beta It doesn't take 5 to 10 minutes anymore until I can use LaunchBox after enabling voice recognition, but my internal laptop microphone is not showing up either. After shouting LAUNCHBOX at my laptop, and messing with my mic settings for a while, I decided disable this feature just now.

LaunchBox didn't see or respond to my mic until I tried to setup Cortona then it started responding to it but it still isn't showing up in LB is the Audio Level thing that is showing when LB opens supposed to be visible?

To be more clear LB now works with my mic but if you go into the options and check under mics it doesn't show any.

Edited by DOS76
  • Like 1

So I see the audio level window and it shows good numbers (40 - 80 when talking).  Voice Recognition is enabled in LB.  However, LB still fails to respond to any commands.  The Microphone area of options in LB is a blank screen for me.  Not sure why I can't get LB to respond.  Cortana (Windows 10) is responding without issue.

Capture.JPG

Sorry about the microphone tab guys; I had added it and then never put anything in it, as of yet. So that is blank on purpose. I'm going to be doing my best to get these issues fixed today; it's my top priority. We shall see how it goes. :)

For folks that are not seeing the audio level, that is baffling me a little. I'm wondering if LaunchBox is even seeing your mic at all in that case. I'll put in some more debugging for that to see what might be going on there. Do make sure voice recognition is enabled though, and restart. The box won't show up until voice recognition is enabled and a microphone is found.

If you are seeing the audio level (and it changes as you speak), here's a few things you can try:

- Go to Control Panel > Speech Recognition in Windows and click "Set up microphone" and run through the wizard. I'm curious if that helps make things better for anyone.

- Instead of saying "LaunchBox", try saying "Big Box" or "Computer" to wake it up. LaunchBox is supposed to recognize any of those three. However, if the speech recognition is having trouble recognizing LaunchBox, one of the other two might help.

- Try adjusting your audio level for your microphone to various places. Believe it or not, my microphones seem to work best when the audio levels are fairly low, because they pick up less background noise and tend to pick up only my voice. My "audio level" readings only ever reach about 20 as I speak, so having your microphone be too loud could be part of the issue, even if it seems you're having to shout.

Thanks all; I'm hoping we can come up with a solution today. I'll have a new debug beta version out shortly.

Alright, new beta is out that should help to troubleshoot things further. First things first, after updating to beta 13, go into the voice recognition options and check the box to enable Debug Mode in the bottom right-hand corner. Then press OK out of both dialogs and restart LaunchBox. You will now need this "Debug mode" enabled in order to receive debugging information for the voice recognition.

After restarting, LaunchBox should show you what it thinks it heard you say in the dialog at the top, in addition to the audio level. It should also prompt you with an error if it can't connect to the default microphone on the system.

Thanks guys, let me know what LaunchBox is hearing when you say "LaunchBox", "Big Box", or "Computer", or what other issues you guys are still seeing.

@DOS76, what do you have your accuracy slider set to?