LaunchBox Community Forums

Any talented theme creators wishing to take on this?

m693663

Hi guys/gals. I have been looking for a vertical theme  that I can use in Big Box for my el cheapo arcade machine. I do not have the coding skills/talent to do this myself. I had intended using Big Box as my front end, but found the themes are all basically for Horizontal screens. I am currently using Attract Mode (please don't flame me) but would prefer Big Box, especially as there is now voice control. This is similar to what I am currently using:

It works well vertically, and all of the fonts adapt accordingly to the screen res. As a background, my arcade machine was built on a very tight (read almost non-existent) budget using and old quad core MB that is limited to 2Gb ram and a recycled AGP graphics card. The screen is a 24" LCD I saved from green waste as the logic board was dead. The speakers are down-firing models from a dead Plasma TV and the audio is provided by an old PC speaker system I gutted. The major cost here was the buttons and controller board.

IMG_20160808_182536.jpg

IMG_20160724_161747.jpg

IMG_20160808_182422.jpg

IMG_20160808_182746[1].jpg

• 2 months later...

Not the answer you are looking for, but in the mean-time while waiting a theme to be created (if a Bigbox theme can currently even be created vertically), there is a mod of Hyperspin out there called HyperTate. Its kind of hard to find but you can find it by doing a Google search. The link to the download is actually hosted on a youtuber's channel. I've never messed with it myself but if I had a vertical setup, I would want to know about it. It actually looks pretty rad for this kind of a mod. Good luck.

*Moderators, if this isn't allowed, feel free to delete. 

Thx Jay, I really dont want to come back to Hyperspin (even if hypertate is eyecatching). I am a Platinum user from 8 years ago and I´m fed up with explore ftps, tweaking themes, etc. I know you must dedicate time to this, believe me, hundreds of hours, I´ve already passed throught that (and keep doing it!! I´ve configured MameLay+ for vertical custom artworks, configured LB and Retroarch for detecting 1 or 2 players games and use or not the cocktail-table.cg shader, maybe you will see a tutorial here about that soon with my poor english), BUT now I only want to stay here and enjoy BB with a simple vertical theme.

Edited by Lynxai
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DOS76 said:

maybe @Jason Carrcould looking into designing a vertical theme

At the blistering pace of development, I'm sure it won't be long! Maybe the theme creation tools already allow for vertical theming? Not really my area of expertise but it seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to implement if it was high on his priority list. If its not currently possible and there isn't a ticket for it, maybe we should open one.

Yes, we definitely need to come up with a vertical theme. At this point that might be best handled by one of our amazing theme builders from the community though, as they've already proven to build prettier interfaces than the default theme. Let me know if anyone's interested; I can also help out if you need any hardware. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maddoc1007 said:

I will be doing a default vertical theme in a few weeks once im finished the theme SciDoc i'm currently working on I asked Jason (as it is his default theme) and he said it was ok for me to go ahead and upload once it finished, so if people can hold on one will be coming.

You´ll be the next hero of my little daughter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...