LaunchBox Community Forums

RocketLauncher Dislike?

DR9

I was watching the last stream and I saw many people saying that hate RL and how it acts or has bugs?

Can you elaborate on what is the negative effect of using it versus the builtin system of emulators of LB? What are the pros and cons?

I have everything configured in RL and things work great so far and is independent of the front-end I use.

Some have mentioned "What parts do you want integrated into LB from RL"?

Thanks!

@DR9 RocketLauncher is a wonderful companion to BigBox. Just a few additional things it brings to the table are very clean emulator launching that hides emulator starting screens with a nice fade screen. The ability to use bezel art with your games which is great because with some of the bezel art out there you can make your widescreen monitor look like an actual arcade cabinet with identical looking bezel art from the real arcade game. Also RL offers a Pause feature that you can Pause any game,even MAME games and it sends you into another menu where you can read a manual for the game or look at artwork,videos,etc. and also use the save and load state within this menu.

Also if you use multiple frontends, Rocketlauncher supports most of them with plugins and you can switch between a different frontend within RL within seconds and be up and going in no time with all your emulators,rom paths and settings are already saved so you do not have to setup all that stuff again with another frontend.

There are many more features but these are just a few. I really don't understand why some people dislike it or think it is hard to use. I feel once you get your feet wet with it like anything else it is very easy to understand and use. Maybe because I consider myself a power user I fully appreciate all it has to offer as I like lots of options but every user will be different. I do feel like most people that has actually tried RocketLauncher and gave it a "serious" run really appreciate it for all it has to offer.

• Like 2

I've taken the time to learn some of it and have it launching almost all of my systems on one of my PC but the systems already work without it and I'm not really impressed with the fade screens., To me it is a level of complexity that doesn't add as much to your setup as it takes to play around with. I also didn't like that it overrode some of my RA settings and change how it displayed ie RA  is set to display in 16:9 with no black bars while it did display it in a widescreen mode RL had black bars on the sides and then switching it back to RA it would display how I have the emulator setup so I haven't touched it in a few weeks and seriously doubt I will ever go back.

• Like 1

I have nothing against RocketLauncher at all even though I do not use it. I would never tell anyone to not use it or talk bad about it though.

I fills its role which is to make other front ends like Hyperspin possible and it has a niche role with Launchbox for it's fades, load screens and pause menus. None of these are features I care about for my myself however.

I did take the time to figure it out on a basic level to get it working but like @DOS76said it adds a layer of complexity with very little pay off  FOR MY setup.

• Like 1

I hope no one thinks I have hate for Rocket Launcher either it is more like indifference. I was on the live stream yesterday and while I don't have a log of everyone's posts or anything I don't recall any one saying I hate Rocket Launcher. I said I wasn't interested in having it bundled into LB and many of the guys on there that are faithful users of RL agreed that it shouldn't be bundled into LB which is pretty much what the discussion was about and why it was brought up in the 1st place.

• Like 1

Coming from HyperSpin to Launchbox, RocketLauncher was a huge help/awesome. I didn't have to do anything to my emulators and roms since I already had everything setup in Rocketlauncher which saved me a lot of time. 

If none of the features mentioned by the above post by K-money interest you, it might not be worth setting up Rocket Launcher. Especially since Launchbox does a good enough job already with most emulators. It might be worth it if you want those advanced features. Plus RocketLauncher is free so you have nothing to lose.

Also if you have any issues with RocketLauncher, just post in their help forums. I'm sure someone will help (including maybe one of the devs themselves who post frequently.)