LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a way to customize the order systems appear in Big Box?

heelsinc

So it would be like Platform sorting correct. For example if I wanted to sort Super Nintendo Entertainment System with my Nintendo platforms I would sort it as Nintendo Super Nintendo Entertainment System but it will still display as Super Nintendo just be sorted with the other Nintendo platforms. I definitely like that idea.

I like the idea too. A Windows style up and down arrow list where you can switch the order in LaunchBox would be the easiest to use I think. That way we could choose our starting platform in Big Box, or perhaps Big Box should boot on the last platform you were playing?

I guess the way to do it now would be to name them with a number in front with the order you want them to be in for example.  01 Game Boy, 02 Game Boy Color, 03 GBA.  But then you would have to have them scrapped under the correct name.  I don't like having to do it this way as it just mucks things up.  Charco I like your idea on how it should work.  I'm putting a ticket in now if you guys want to vote on it.

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1887/system-sorting

Edited by heelsinc
  • Like 1

Awesome!  Yes this is the way for it to be, because a lot of people like having all of their systems in a clump together.  I like having all the consoles in release order from a manufacturer, and then after that all the handhelds from that same manufacturer in release order.  It is so nice to have such active development and someone who listens to feedback like Jason.  I just need to get my Arcade stuff set up and then LB will probably be my main frontend now.  Which took a lot to make happen, so good job Launchbox!

13 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

Awesome!  Yes this is the way for it to be, because a lot of people like having all of their systems in a clump together.  I like having all the consoles in release order from a manufacturer, and then after that all the handhelds from that same manufacturer in release order.  It is so nice to have such active development and someone who listens to feedback like Jason.  I just need to get my Arcade stuff set up and then LB will probably be my main frontend now.  Which took a lot to make happen, so good job Launchbox!

That's the exact order I am going to put mine in.  It's not in big box yet but obviously that will just be a matter of time until it's implemented there.

I can't figure out where this new feature is haha

Edit...I found it but it looks like you can only change the category of a system and not the order of it so not totally this exact feature that we were talking about but getting there it seems.  We can now categorize between "Arcade, Console, Handheld and Compouter.  Not yet able to order them the way we want to though. 

Edited by heelsinc

• 3 months later...

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

You could name it what ever you want and scrape it as the system you need it as. Set it up in LaunchBox, then it will sort by the name you gave it.

Thanks for the suggestion Jason.  Although renaming my platforms does get me the sort that I'm looking for in BigBox, outside of renaming the emulator platform associations, it looks like I also have to rename each platform video and re-associate each of the media types for each platform with its original folder.  Maybe I'm missing a step somewhere or there's an easier way to do this?  I also noticed that I ended up losing my platform metadata after closing and reopening Launchbox.

Wouldn't you have to name it like 01-platform, 02-platform then?  so it would be in the specific order you want?  Is this limitation because of the random way in which launchbox writes it's xml files?  I remember when I first jumped over to LB, and opened the xml file thinking I could change the order of things, but saw completely non-alphabetical entries for the games, and they were in no particular order.  Figured LB knows how to display them, oh well.    It's just a minor thing, I don't really notice it a lot, other than I have to go through all of a certain manufacturer, like nintendo, to get to the next platform, when normally it would be consoles, then handhelds, so I'd only have to go through some of nintendo, to get to sega for example, because all the consoles are there in alphabetical order, then comes the handhelds. 

11 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

Wouldn't you have to name it like 01-platform, 02-platform then?  so it would be in the specific order you want?

Yup, that's exactly what I did...and it worked great...my platforms were in the order that I wanted them to be in both in LB and BB.  The caveat (at least so far) is all the extra work you have to do to get all of the newly renamed platforms looking at all of the data saved under the previous platform's folders.  It seems like the only choices are to either hand edit all of the media paths for each platform or I suppose I could just delete it all and then re-import...but that could take awhile depending on how big your collection is.

23 minutes ago, gamble007 said:

Yup, that's exactly what I did...and it worked great...my platforms were in the order that I wanted them to be in both in LB and BB.  The caveat (at least so far) is all the extra work you have to do to get all of the newly renamed platforms looking at all of the data saved under the previous platform's folders.  It seems like the only choices are to either hand edit all of the media paths for each platform or I suppose I could just delete it all and then re-import...but that could take awhile depending on how big your collection is.

You can just rename the old folders from the old platform name to the platform name you gave it.

41 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

Wouldn't you have to name it like 01-platform, 02-platform then?  so it would be in the specific order you want?  Is this limitation because of the random way in which launchbox writes it's xml files?  I remember when I first jumped over to LB, and opened the xml file thinking I could change the order of things, but saw completely non-alphabetical entries for the games, and they were in no particular order.  Figured LB knows how to display them, oh well.    It's just a minor thing, I don't really notice it a lot, other than I have to go through all of a certain manufacturer, like nintendo, to get to the next platform, when normally it would be consoles, then handhelds, so I'd only have to go through some of nintendo, to get to sega for example, because all the consoles are there in alphabetical order, then comes the handhelds. 

Yea, you'd have to name it like that currently, but that's why it's a quick and dirty method, but you can technically do it right now. There is a bit of set up you'd need to do, like change over the folder names in Images, Video, Music, Manuals etc, to the new name, but that's fairly simple considering. You can edit the XML's with Notepad++, but for simple things, like paths. When changing paths and you're not using relative paths, changing the drive letter to your new drive letter is sometimes a must if you don't want to re-import things and lose settings.