LaunchBox Community Forums

Skyrim Special Edition

Drybonz

You guys may already know about this, but there's a new Skyrim Special Edition on Steam with remastered graphics and new quests, etc...

You actually get this game ($40) for free if you have purchased the original Skyrim and all three DLC's.  I got the game for free and didn't even know it... it went to my game library with no notification or email or anything.  It's been sitting in there for over a week now and I didn't even know it.  So, if you have the original game and DLC's, this is just a heads up to check your game library... you may have the remastered version in there at no cost.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't think there is any new content but the upgraded 64 bit engine to direct x 11 makes the game run better and utilizes more than 4 gigs of ram. New volumetric lighting and fog and shadows that don't look they are being powered by an NES really make a nice difference.  Here is a great video from Gopher about some of the engine differences. Basically it looks better and runs at a more consistent frame rate. I have been playing around with it and got my ass dragged back into the modding addiction and so far the game is way more stable.

• Like 1

Mhm, I already have like 60 mods installed. xD I was glad when I learned that the engine was upgraded. It's not quite the Fallout 4 engine, but it's certainly better than the default Skyrim, it's like a step between. I am hoping for Elder Scrolls 6 though that the engine gets somewhat of an overhaul. I love the engine as it stands, it's been used in some form since Morrowind, but it might be time. I just need to get a GTX 1070 or 1080, then I will REALLY be at home. I max out my VRAM too much in F4 or Skyrim.

• Like 1

Yeah i'm sitting on 70 mods right now.

I don't really see much of a difference in the engine from Fallout 4, FO4 has better basic textures so it looks a bit better out of the box but overall it feels about the same.

I think Todd Howard already said they need to make a new engine for the next Elder Scrolls game, the current tech isn't good enough for what they have planned.

• Like 1

I'm much more of a Fallout modder with about 150 active mods, if not more. The key mods I am waiting on to get ported from regular Skyrim to SE are SkyUI, and the Legend of Zelda mods. Just double checked NMM, 60 active mods, 62 total. xD I didn't think I was that accurate. It also doesn't help that they've had serious server issues for the last 2 weeks, so I haven't been keeping my eye out as much.

• Like 1

Fallout 4 just didn't grab me so I just left it alone, I have it installed but I got bored of it in less than 2 weeks. No idea why really cause I like that post apocalyptic setting but the game just got boring to me fast.

Yeah SkyUI is such a must have, I hope they get SKSE ported soon so we can have a proper version of SkyUI instead of the hacked one with limited features we got now.

What sort of mods are you using outside of texture replacers ?

I really love the Ordinator perk mod (all of Enai Siaion mods are great) and the Character Creation Overhaul. Characters feel so much more diverse and fun.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1137/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2725/?

• Like 1

Most likely not but to be perfectly honest I don't know, using the Steam Workshop to mod Skyrim is not a good way of doing things unless it is just one or two very basic mods. Using a mod manager such as the Nexus one is a much better way of doing things.

Also I don't know if the the Unofficial Patch is on the Steam Workshop or not but everyone should have that regardless if they want to install any other mods or not. It fixes a lot of bugs that Bethesda themselves just don't care to.

If you are new to Nexus Mod Manager and want to learn how to use it here is a perfect set of youtube video tutorials from Gopher to get you started.

• Like 1

Also keep in mind that many of the old mods do not work in the Special Edition, some do however. A good amount have been ported over and more are coming and unless you are sure that an older mod works in the new version do not install it.

Always read the mods description and even the "Posts" section for each mod for what people and the mod author is saying about the mod.

DISCLAIMER:
Mods can break your game so do so at your own risk.

• Like 1

Yea, mods are wonderful, but I've lost dozens of hours trying to get my modded systems up and running. I also agree with Monkus, using a mod manager like the Nexus Mod Manager is wildly more powerful, and easier to use in some regards. The NMM is also getting completely overhauled from the ground up too, so lets hope that profile switching, among other things, will work well!

There are way more mods on NMM than Steam and the Bethesda site combined, and I don't think they're doing the Workshop for the Special Edition. There are a few things that are almost required, besides NMM, make sure to get LOOT so that it can sort your mods properly based on master lists. This is almost required, as load order is a very big pain in the ass. NMM must be closed for it to work too. Also grab the Unofficial Patches for each of the games you want to mod (In the Bethesda-verse).