LaunchBox Community Forums

Skyrim Special Edition

Drybonz

The new version of NMM does have profiles in it already and works. Mod Manager was better than NMM but has not been fully updated for Special Edition and from what I have read the author of Mod Manager is now working with the Nexus guys on NMM.

Also in regards to LOOT, for now use it as a guide to help but don't just blindly trust it. While it does a pretty good job it is not 100%. Take some time to read the info for each mod and think about how that mod works with other mods you may be using for some overlap. 2 quick examples of LOOTs current flaws would be water mods are being loaded too high in the load order when they need to be much lower or else you get nasty seams where 2 different kinds of waters meet. Water mods need to be lower than other mods that change world spaces. The other mod as an example is the Realistic Lighting Overhaul mod, this mod comes with several .esp files and LOOT doesn't sort them properly so they need to be adjusted manually.

Switching profiles works, but it's extremely buggy at times. They've even admitted that NMM is getting buggier and buggier over time due to it's very outdated and taped together code.

I hardly use Water Mods, but I have used realistic lighting in the past, and I just let LOOT do it's thing. Unless I know something is off and I need to change it, I personally never do and it's worked fine so far. The beauty of LOOT is it does get updated often, those masterlist updates are supposed to help with issues like that.

yeah, if you're going to mod Skyrim, best to cozy up to NMM (Nexus Mod Manager) or MO (Mod Organiser) and as Brad mentioned jsut above, get LOOT which pretty much sorts all your mods for you in a way that they all play nice together. If not, some or many could conflict with each other and its nothing but CTD. TESVEdit and SSEEdit are also godsends when it comes to troubleshooting crashes. It looks at your mod order and if there are any conflicts that are causing crashes, it'll tell you which mod. Most times, it's just a case of using LOOT to manually tell "mod X" to load before/after "mod Y." 

It's all pretty automated for the most part unless you get into merging mods, which i've never bothered with, but the tools mentioned thusfar can get you up and running pretty quick.

Mod Organizer from what I have read isn't really working properly yet, but it is the better mod manager. I was using it to mod vanilla Skyrim, it's much better at managing more complicated mod lists that have a lot of overlap. Also from what I have read, the author of MO is teamed up with the NMM guys now so that may eliminate MO all together.

Yeah ELFX was awesome, I used that with ELE for vanilla. Hopefully it gets ported soon but for now I will be using RLO, it has come along really nicely since the vanilla version.

I've put over a hundred hours in this since launch and haven't used a single mod. (I'm only barely aware of mods having not been a PC gamer). I will say that THE LOADING TIMES ARE GORGEOUS. I always smith and running from breezehome to the Warmaiden to dragons reach for enchantments is most of the reason why I never finished the game the first time around. Every door you went through was a punishment. (Mind you I played on the xbox 360). I mustn't be smart enough to understand why people are mad at this release.

I am smart enough to know that from now on, every bethesda game in the way of elder scrolls and fallout will get a nice spot on my SSD and not on my consoles. 

2 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

Everyone should at least have the Unofficial Patch, after that it's just personal preference. I found the base game just too bland and generic to play for longer periods so I need mods to make it more fun.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/266/?

I said the same thing. :P This, SkyUI (when it gets ported, if it is, I don't know about it yet), and SKSESE? I have no clue what they're gonna call it for Special Edition, but the Script Extender is a must have as well, when that is ported. That's the main reason why SkyUI isn't here yet. I have a non-SKSESE version of it that I grabbed before they pulled.

Yea, the load times are not that great on PS3 and 360, they were better on PS3 early in a save games life, but worse at the end of a save games life than the 360 with the way the RAM handled stuff. The PS3 had a ton of Skyrim problems because of it. The 360 only benefited because of less bugs and late game was a bit better on performance. PS4 and Xbox One are a lot faster still, but eventually save bloat will kill them too. The longer and older a save is, it's just a fact that the game will start taking longer and longer to load every time you need to call a loading screen.

I knew it all was going to get ported eventually, the teams expressed interest before the game was released, but didn't know how different it would be. After NMM was having some serious server issues I just hadn't gone back in to check through things, so the fact this thread has updates from within the last 24 hours makes me hopeful! I know it will come eventually, but the sooner the better. ;)

10 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

Yeah the Nexus server was getting hammered hard when trying to download using NMM. But downloading outside the NMM and importing it worked just fine during that time. Things seem to be settled down a bit now that the initial feeding frenzy is over.

tell ma about it. After the first few mods that I tried downloading cancelled out on me, just went the way of downloading and manually installing. I installed 4k mountain textures last night and think it's not playing nice with no snow under the roof. The light snow that has fallen on the top of one of the mountains i've scaled looks...off. It's a bit patchy and blotchy. 

looks like i'll be deleting my manually installed mods i've downloaded in NMM and downloading thru NMM's servers (now that I'm a Platinum Member) so the version numbers and all the metadata will show in NMM. My OCD just won't let me leave as is without any notation of version numbers, category, etc.