LaunchBox Community Forums

Tutorial Request Thread

SentaiBrad

So I try to mark down as many tutorial requests as I possibly can, but they sometimes get lost in the shuffle! So  I am remaking my request thread. So if you have a tutorial that isn't on the list, then request it. I have two main lists, with a third odds and ends list. There are System based tutorials and feature specific tutorials, anyone can request anything if they fit. Obviously I can't start doing tutorials on Windows related stuff, unless it's something very specific for LaunchBox.

System Tutorials:

ScummVM ScummVM ScummVM!!!!
Nintendo 64 Update
Nintendo 64DD
Sharp x68000 Tutorial
Intellvision
CITRA Alpha Showcase
RPCS3 Alpha showcases
NEC PC-88
Fujitsu FM-Towns
Commodore 128
Commodore Amiga
Amiga CD
Daphne
Commodore 64 Update
Flash Tutorial
Mugen
Dreamcast Update (New Emulator out, so potentially more of a showcase)
Xbox Emulator Showcase (?!?!?!?!?!?!?)
PC-FX
Nintendo 64 from Wii U
Fairchild Channel F
ColecoVision
Wii U Update
Vectrex
Game & Watch

Feature Specific Tutorials:

Updated BigBox Demo
How to sync your LaunchBox install across multiple PC's
Voice Rec
How to compress your games without using archives
Renewals
RetroArch shaders
RetroArch Overlays
RetroArch Cheats

Odd's and Ends Video Requests:

Brad's Emulator / Gaming Setup
User Submitted Showcase

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cranhill said:

ok i'll be first to say " RocketLauncher Tutorial"

now that you've refused that i like the sound of  " How to sync your LaunchBox install across multiple PC's" fed up running up stairs with a USB thanks Brad :D

You just made @Vlansix's day. He's laughing really hard that the first request is an RL Tutorial. We were just having this conversation. xD

Yea, I've been meaning to do a sync tutorial for a few weeks now actually, so I might get that ready for next week. It's going to require a bit more set up than normal to make sure I have everything correct.

• Like 1

@SentaiBrad Have you considered doing any set schedule (i.e. one system tutorial one week and a feature tutorial next week and repeat)? If Jason makes you full-time in the future, would you consider doing two tutorials a week: one feature specific and one system related?

By the way, I don't even know if this core is functional or where to even get the games, but RetorArch has a Game & Watch core if that interests you. Also, you can add the Virtual Boy to that list as it also has a RetroArch core.

Btw I'm definitely interested in seeing your personal setup, but that seems like it will be the longest and hardest to make. It sounds like a good video, but maybe you can make a series for HTPC people like myself, and one for people who want to have a cabinet (like how to order a machine from Monster Arcade).

Hi @SentaiBrad, I've seen a few topics pop up in relation to cheat support for various emulators/RetroArch cores and thought that this might be a helpful tutorial to tackle at some point. Back when I used my modded Wii for emulation, I used to love the cheat support for non-arcade platforms (I have UniBios for Neo Geo and arcade games have infinite coins!).

I had cheats working for NES, SNES, and Mega Drive on the standalone emulators Fceu GX, Snes9x GX, and Genesis Plus GX. Since I've made the switch to RetroArch I've never figured out how to add cheat support. It opens up a whole new world of gaming if youself and you buddies can get through Contra Hard Corps like an arcade game with infinite lives!

Any chance of a tutorial? If it's a short topic to cover, perhaps you could include Retro Achievements support in RetroArch too as it is also an extra RA feature people may enjoy ?

On 11/17/2016 at 5:54 PM, Beatlemaniac19 said:

@SentaiBrad Have you considered doing any set schedule (i.e. one system tutorial one week and a feature tutorial next week and repeat)? If Jason makes you full-time in the future, would you consider doing two tutorials a week: one feature specific and one system related?

By the way, I don't even know if this core is functional or where to even get the games, but RetorArch has a Game & Watch core if that interests you. Also, you can add the Virtual Boy to that list as it also has a RetroArch core.

Btw I'm definitely interested in seeing your personal setup, but that seems like it will be the longest and hardest to make. It sounds like a good video, but maybe you can make a series for HTPC people like myself, and one for people who want to have a cabinet (like how to order a machine from Monster Arcade).

I don't particularly have a set schedule, I try and do what's needed, like updates to older tutorials when the software updates to a point where it's becoming more of a headache. RetroArch just updated recently, changing the default keyboard keys and some UI elements, so I can only imagine that some tutorials are getting more and more out-dated. I would totally consider doing more tutorials in a given week or month, but that is totally up to @Jason Carr. I do a lot as is. If we could reach our first $1k Patreon goal, then something like that is totally more plausible.

I knew of these cores, but the G&W core I am not even sure how to get working, and I honestly assumed that no one wanted to see the Virtual Boy done. xD That system gives people massive headaches. I will gladly add them on though.

A few users have asked to see my real gaming set up and my PC / Emulation set up. You can probably guess it fairly easily, but that would require someone to have watched most of the tutorials, RSS and read my posts to put it all together. xD It's not too terribly exciting, I don't have a cab or anything fancy. A tutorial on how to order from Monster Arcade is actually an extremely good idea! I didn't think about that. That would require some extra set up though, so I will have to talk to Jason about that one.

As for an HTPC only type of tutorial, I don't quite get the question here as all of the tutorials are oriented towards a controller, and once it's set up in LaunchBox it's automatically usable in Big Box. They're complete for any type of set up, so could you narrow that down a bit for me before?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Charco said:

Hi @SentaiBrad, I've seen a few topics pop up in relation to cheat support for various emulators/RetroArch cores and thought that this might be a helpful tutorial to tackle at some point. Back when I used my modded Wii for emulation, I used to love the cheat support for non-arcade platforms (I have UniBios for Neo Geo and arcade games have infinite coins!).

I had cheats working for NES, SNES, and Mega Drive on the standalone emulators Fceu GX, Snes9x GX, and Genesis Plus GX. Since I've made the switch to RetroArch I've never figured out how to add cheat support. It opens up a whole new world of gaming if youself and you buddies can get through Contra Hard Corps like an arcade game with infinite lives!

Any chance of a tutorial? If it's a short topic to cover, perhaps you could include Retro Achievements support in RetroArch too as it is also an extra RA feature people may enjoy ?

I've seen that too. A cheat tutorial could be very helpful. I am concerned about how many people want it, but I did tutorials for systems that aren't super popular anyways, so why not. xD I'll add that to my list.

I did do Retro Achievements inside of several tutorials, but I learned that not a lot of people notice when features are tucked inside of another tutorial. Custom Configs and Retro Achievements being the prime two suspects in this case that NEED their own tutorials. I'll make sure to add these two the list as well.

Edit: Ha, I do have Custom Configs added to the list, and I apparently keep forgetting about it. :P

• Like 2

@SentaiBrad When mentioning an HTPC tutorial, that is something that is a VERY long-term solution. I may have gotten ahead of myself. The reason is that Jason mentioned during a live stream that he's very open with working with a distributor in the future to sell pre-configured HTPCs. When I say pre-configured I mean a setup that ideally (if you can get the distribution rights) to include MAME/MESS, RetroArch and maybe a few other emulators already pre-configured to work with either Xbox 360, Xbox One or PS4 controllers right out the box. You obviously wouldn't want to include any copyrighted information so you'd make the users get their own roms and bios. If Jason plans on doing this in the future, then a video on "How to Order an HTPC" could be made, and it would be created like the "How to Order an Arcade Cabinet from Monster Arcades" tutorial idea.

Btw I'm completely for a cheats and a new RetroArch tutorial video. Maybe you should just completely do an A-Z RetroArch tutorial in the future with the exception of cheats. Then do a cheats tutorial that encompasses RetroArch, Mame and any other notable emulators.

7 hours ago, Beatlemaniac19 said:

@SentaiBrad When mentioning an HTPC tutorial, that is something that is a VERY long-term solution. I may have gotten ahead of myself. The reason is that Jason mentioned during a live stream that he's very open with working with a distributor in the future to sell pre-configured HTPCs. When I say pre-configured I mean a setup that ideally (if you can get the distribution rights) to include MAME/MESS, RetroArch and maybe a few other emulators already pre-configured to work with either Xbox 360, Xbox One or PS4 controllers right out the box. You obviously wouldn't want to include any copyrighted information so you'd make the users get their own roms and bios. If Jason plans on doing this in the future, then a video on "How to Order an HTPC" could be made, and it would be created like the "How to Order an Arcade Cabinet from Monster Arcades" tutorial idea.

Btw I'm completely for a cheats and a new RetroArch tutorial video. Maybe you should just completely do an A-Z RetroArch tutorial in the future with the exception of cheats. Then do a cheats tutorial that encompasses RetroArch, Mame and any other notable emulators.

Ah, ok so that's what you meant. That makes more sense now.

I will do more RetroArch tutorials in the future, but I'm not really sold on a cheats video, at the very least not multiple emulators per video. It's only been since this thread that I've seen anyone request it, so I am unsure how many people do want it. I will do one for RetroArch for sure though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newlander said:

maybe satellaview also or is that to greedy ? :P

There's no need for it as it's the same exact tutorial as the SNES. Satellaview games use the same file extensions and work with bsnes accuracy and balanced natively.

Edit: It's worth nothing that Satellaview games are regular SNES games, they were just delivered and deployed extremely differently, that's it. It's not a special platform.