LaunchBox Community Forums

Tutorial Request Thread

SentaiBrad

15 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

I will do more RetroArch tutorials in the future, but I'm not really sold on a cheats video, at the very least not multiple emulators per video. It's only been since this thread that I've seen anyone request it, so I am unsure how many people do want it. I will do one for RetroArch for sure though.

Why not do cheats as a part of the RetroArch video then?

Also, it would be cool if you displayed the Libretro website and how to check the wikis, download the nightly/stable versions, use their forum etc.

Edited by Beatlemaniac19
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Beatlemaniac19 said:

Why not do cheats as a part of the RetroArch video then?

Also, it would be cool if you displayed the Libretro website and how to check the wikis, download the nightly/stable versions, use their forum etc.

A lot of this stuff I have done, they're in other tutorials. The SNES is a beginner tutorial and covers a lot of this. I've been telling people for a long time to just watch the tutorials, most questions will get answered. I feasibly can't make a single small tutorial for every little feature, or rather, I can't do just one of those a week, that would get tedious, fast. We have 55 tutorials, some of them updates, but mostly all unique with tons of information. I've even had users who tell me that they already have x or y system ready to go, but they watched and learned something anyways. I do agree that the more popular and exciting stuff needs it's own tutorial to make it easier on everyone, like Retro Achievements, compressing games, etc, but a majority of this information is there already, so do keep that in mind.

I do have RetroArch Cheats on the list, so that will come eventually.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2016 at 5:07 PM, SentaiBrad said:

Commodore Amiga

If you want to add my tutorial to the playlist on the Launchbox channel, you're welcome to do so. I think that one's covered about as thoroughly as anyone would want haha.

On 11/17/2016 at 5:07 PM, SentaiBrad said:

Sharp x68000 Tutorial

What are you planning on using to emulate this, out of curiosity? I've used XM6 Pro-6k and MESS and while XM6 is probably a bit easier to setup, it seemed to have some accuracy issues (Castlevania Chronicles had some particularly noticeable issues) that I didn't encounter with MESS. Setting it up with MESS is a bit convoluted though, especially given the way games that are 3+ disks work for the X68000.

@SentaiBrad I've got an idea. Obviously you make the best tutorials so I'm not questioning that. However, I've noticed many users such as lordmonkus and zombeaver have made tutorials too. Have you considered making a playlist for the LB YT channel compiling all of the other tutorials that the users have created. That might be a win-win. First, you won't have to make as many tutorials. Second, users will have access to a lot more tutorials and some niche tutorials that have less demand.

Obviously, you'd want quality control on only getting the best tutorials, but this might be an option. What do you think?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beatlemaniac19 said:

@SentaiBrad I've got an idea. Obviously you make the best tutorials so I'm not questioning that. However, I've noticed many users such as lordmonkus and zombeaver have made tutorials too. Have you considered making a playlist for the LB YT channel compiling all of the other tutorials that the users have created. That might be a win-win. First, you won't have to make as many tutorials. Second, users will have access to a lot more tutorials and some niche tutorials that have less demand.

Obviously, you'd want quality control on only getting the best tutorials, but this might be an option. What do you think?

I think this is a great idea.

If other people are creating useful, clear tutorials then share the wealth and knowledge and share the workload.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like some of the simple things covered, like a basic tutorial of the most used things.  I still have no idea how to use filters or set them or do anything with nested filters either.  Maybe its easy and I'm just being blind, but i've never seen it in the options.  we still have to scroll through all games to check which ones are 2 player games, takes a long time.

Well, Nested Filters doesn't exist yet, and since that will replace the current filters system (since Custom Filters is buggy and crashes on large libraries) I don't know if I would want to do a tutorial on it. Filters in LaunchBox is on the left, the drop down list above your platforms. Some basic filters, then at the bottom of that list custom filters.

If you set up a custom filter, you can view it by going back in to the menu and selecting the appropriate custom filters menu. There are also some more basic views that filter things down. For the most part though, I think Jason wants Nested Filters the way he's explained it to take over for both.

• 3 weeks later...

I would do an AHK tutorial, but I am really not qualified for that. All it would consist of would be "put this script here sometimes" xD. As for Overlays, yea I've been meaning to get to them. They're kind of a pain in the ass for RetroArch, but for MAME it's much easier and I could show that off. Both Overlays and Daphne are on the list though, sorry they haven't happened yet, there's just a lot to cover. xD

On 2/12/2017 at 1:38 AM, Nopar said:

HI 

SentaiBrad

maybe you can add a game backup option(savegame, configs,etc), so the user only need to set the paths

I'm sorry, but this thread is for Tutorial requests. This is the wrong place to ask for features, I don't control any of that. It would be best to create a thread or, ideally, make a BitBucket request ticket by clicking Issues/Requests at the very top.

• 1 month later...