LaunchBox Community Forums

BigCouch Theme

viking

Man, it has been so long since I have not worked on BigCouch that I no longer have at all in mind the why of the how ... I'm sorry! With what I learned from Colorful, this theme deserves a complete rewrite, starting from scratch. I can't promise to do it quickly, but I will really try to do it at some point.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

An excellent and beautiful theme, but it seems to have been abandoned. Do we still have support for this theme?

Hey @viking, could you help fix this theme?
Please don't let him die without having a fully corrected version. This is one of the most beautiful and special themes ever made for Launchbox. I know that FullColor is your focus, but it doesn't take much to fix all the bugs in this theme here.

Most adjustments are about character limits in rows and columns. I'm not a programmer, but if you tell me where to change I could try to fix it.
Please!

Edited by soqueroeu
  • Like 1

@soqueroeu Yes, I know well ... I like this theme too and don't want to see it die, but I have too little time, between work, children and Colorful.

Quite honestly, this theme deserves a complet rewrite from scratch. The architecture is too old and I have made good progress since!
However, I can't give you a deadline...

BUT, that said, if anyone wants to take over this theme, I can pass the torch! ?

• Like 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

Here, I needed to get back with PlatformWheel4FiltersView (v1.5.2):

fix1.thumb.png.00ad7a8ffb0353bf0019a32577a3de64.png

I'm currently trying to make some progress with character limitation:

fix2.thumb.png.a9dfc5cd9f6e7c94a4fa5877af0d713f.png.

Here, I try to guess which rows and columns limit characters in these red spots:

UMM.thumb.png.e104d569d0574abb32123994f815e75f.pngbbbpng.thumb.png.e6601c09de333def3b3356f9d9bf54b7.png
I don't know anything about programming. If anyone knows exactly what values need to be changed, I would appreciate it very much. ?

Edited by soqueroeu

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone!
Nostalgia set and BigCouch make my favorite theme.
I worked a time trying to fix some things in this beautiful theme.
If @viking authorizes and wishes, I give him the modified view files to update the BigCouch theme version. In any case, it is worth testing by more people before releasing.

Let's see what I got:

Removed "about" content for all category view.
Text alignment has been improved:

2.thumb.png.7891b7a48bd25e0dbc1bf8092fac424c.png

To all platform views, I only kept the year release and manufacturer.
G
ame views contain all data:
Screenshot_8.thumb.png.c96be30da873a5ee4cb1329974524e6a.png

PlatformWheel4FiltersView:  This view has been fixed using the 1.5.2 version file:

3.thumb.png.eb659f4f430e53323f2d84a8f0edb24b.png

Increased character limit and best column spacing to all views.
All fonts retain their original size.
The "Games List" text often clogged has been replaced by discrete static side arrows:

4.thumb.png.cd422627e3d6177c545809aa0ca971d5.png

Supports database long names titles. 
Title game fills top rows.
Increased characters limit and better spacing for "About" content:

5.thumb.png.e6f81ff97b639ee531d5e9d101ad4dbd.png
This view supports and centralizes very long names:
6.thumb.png.7ac30ef67b57cbf284887d382bea6f5d.png

The dark view was also adjusted. Selected game box received a small zoom increase.
7.thumb.png.8493e25ffb3ee79e9706f1623006890b.pngNote: The NeoGeo MVS game database shows both American and Japanese names. For something like this, I recommend keeping only one version name, to avoid using more than two rows.
To do this, you must edit each title separately via Launchbox desktop mode.

Below, I only adjusted text and moved the banner position. I didn't like it mixed with the list.
The ideal would be to implement automatic scrolling text, so we could put the banner anywhere on the bottom page (but I don't know how to do it. I appreciate if anyone can help) ?

1.thumb.png.3ec4dd5adbe0b4a41315b89515e771a4.png

That's all for now See you later!
?

Edited by soqueroeu
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, retrogamer459 said:

How do I download the newly updated fan modified version?

Hello everybody!

I'm uploading right here, attached to this post. Remember, these changes are not official and need to be tested. Here, so far, they are OK!
I recommend a backup of your Views folder before replacing files.
Unzip the files in:  \ LaunchBox \ Themes \ BigCouch \ Views

I wish you good luck!

BigCouch_Theme_Update_Custom.zip

Edited by soqueroeu
  • Like 2

Its amazing this update works but so far i see a multi region text issue with the default view thanks for your hard work. Any idea how you want me to proceed w issues?  Maybe i will tackle learning to modify themes

Is there a way to scroll text left to right once text is a certain length and set kind of high character limits?

PXL_20210106_094108084.jpg

Edited by retrogamer459
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 6:43 AM, retrogamer459 said:

Its amazing this update works but so far i see a multi region text issue with the default view thanks for your hard work. Any idea how you want me to proceed w issues?  Maybe i will tackle learning to modify themes

Is there a way to scroll text left to right once text is a certain length and set kind of high character limits?

PXL_20210106_094108084.jpg

Do you still have problems with any of these texts? Could you tell me exactly in which view this occurs?

About modifying files, I had to test each change in the alignment values of rows and columns. Some of these values are preset and cannot be modified without touching the code. I'm not a programmer, I didn't know exactly if it would work. I believe it is possible to improve further, however, it would take skill with codes. Adding text scrolling could be much better in some of these sessions and that, unfortunately, I don't know how to do.

If anyone else can collaborate, it will be very good!

Edited by soqueroeu

• 3 weeks later...