LaunchBox Community Forums

BigCouch Theme

viking

I'm not 100% sure what exactly you're seeing, a screenshot would help.  However, I did notice that alot of platform images/videos have the "old" naming convention that Launchbox was using a while back (just TurboGrafx-16 I believe it was called). In order for the clear logos, platform images, videos etc. to work properly, the names have to match exactly the way your console is named in your launchbox platforms (for example "NEC TurboGrafx-16", not just "TurboGrafx-16"as it was for me).

What I did to make clear logos/videos etc. work in my system is I went into the folders in the theme were I extracted the videos to (for example ...Themes\BigCouch\Videos\Platforms) and I search for turbo, I then renamed the files to match the name of the console I imported the roms into launchbox...in my case it was "NEC TurboGrafx-16".

I also did the same for the images in the clear logos (if you used them) ... Themes\BigCouch\Images\Platforms\Clear Logo

And then finally the same thing for the platforms images (...\Themes\BigCouch\Images\Platforms\Banner)

I hope that made sense, and I hope that solves your issue.

-CDBlue

Edited by CDBlue

Thank you for the reply CDBlue. I have attached screenshot of the NEC TurboGrafx-16. As you can see instead of the game-play footage playing inside the TV and console picture it is covering the entire right side of the screen. I wonder if the 'problem' is just because when you go to Tools > Download Platform/Playlist Theme Videos in LaunchBox the Nostalgia 4:3 is not available for that system as an option. I have just added the Mattel Intellivision and it is doing the same thing and coincidentally it is the only other system I've added thus far that does not have the Nostalgia 4:3 available as an option. I have had to rename artwork to match what the systems are called to get things working. I have become okay with navigating around the folders though as I said I am unable to locate where the images of the systems with TV's next to them are in my LaunchBox folder, it is the only thing I cannot find in my LaunchBox folder.I have also refreshed all my image cache, but does not work.

TurboGrafx16.jpg

Ah ok.  Yeah, unless you downloaded the files from the link location on the first page of this thread (not via launchbox) you likely don't have the video for the NEC TurboGrafx-16 file, since it was named TurboGrafx-16 and in your platform list it's not called that (again because it looks like LB changed the platform name and the older files on here are still looking for the old name).  I've attached the file you want (4:3 ratio platform video for NEC TurboGrafx-16).  You'll want to download this attached file and place it in the following location (where you installed LB - ...\LaunchBox\Videos\Platforms)

-CDBlue

NEC_TurboGrafx-16.mp4

Edited by CDBlue

I had a dog and his name was BINGO! It is annoying when you find out something that seems so easy, but then again most things are easy after you know. Thank you very much CDBlue, I have learned something new and am back on track again. Also, thank you neil9000 for your reply. May I say I have been tickled pink at the apparent niceness and helpfulness of this community.

On 5/30/2017 at 4:33 AM, Styphelus said:

I'm having issues with platform categories as well.

On mine the platform info is missing completely from all categories with the exception of Arcade where it displays the name of the category but nothing else. All other themes work fine so it's not a case of missing info.

Also, in the games view when a game video is not available, a screenshot is not displayed instead like in most other themes. Not sure why its doing that.

Untitled-1.png

Hi everyone,  I also have this issue and it frustrates me no end.  The theme sees the metadata as it shows in the text list of platforms, but there only. It doesn't show in the view shown here.  Some metadata does show ie the actual systems. so it's difficult for me to diagnose. Also any metadata I add never seems to show, I'm not sure if that's helpful. I know nothing of theming though but can check .xml files etc. Help here is greatly appreciated as it ruins my favorite theme. 

I don't normally use the platform category view in BB, but I just tried it and can confirm that I also see the above as well.  Good news is that I know the root cause of this bug, bad news is that I don't know where this needs to be fixed in this theme.  I assume it's one of the XAML files in the views folder.  Viking, or anyone who knows how to code these theme, here's the bug in a nutshell which will hopefully allow someone to point out where/how to fix this.

In this theme  (not other themes, as I just tested this), when you set BB to view Platform Category view it shows the actually categories, but it's actually pulling the meta data from the platform instead of the meta data associated with the platform category.  This is why the Arcade one is listing meta data but not the console, handhelds etc (as they likely don't have a platform that's called that).

You can confirm this by doing the following - edit your platform metadata in LB for Arcade (not the platform category, but the platform one called Arcade).  Launch BB for this theme and show platform category and you will see what you edited in the metadata/notes for the platform Arcade. In the other themes I tested, the platform category view in BB seems to pull correctly the meta data/notes associated to the platform category and not the platforms. 

I'm sure the fix is simply by likely editing an XAML file for that view to show/pull platform category info instead of platform.

Sorry I can't help out more than that.  I looked through the views folder for this theme to see if I could locate where this error might be, but I couldn't find it so far.

3 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

I don't normally use the platform category view in BB, but I just tried it and can confirm that I also see the above as well.  Good news is that I know the root cause of this bug, bad news is that I don't know where this needs to be fixed in this theme.  I assume it's one of the XAML files in the views folder.  Viking, or anyone who knows how to code these theme, here's the bug in a nutshell which will hopefully allow someone to point out where/how to fix this.

In this theme  (not other themes, as I just tested this), when you set BB to view Platform Category view it shows the actually categories, but it's actually pulling the meta data from the platform instead of the meta data associated with the platform category.  This is why the Arcade one is listing meta data but not the console, handhelds etc (as they likely don't have a platform that's called that).

You can confirm this by doing the following - edit your platform metadata in LB for Arcade (not the platform category, but the platform one called Arcade).  Launch BB for this theme and show platform category and you will see what you edited in the metadata/notes for the platform Arcade. In the other themes I tested, the platform category view in BB seems to pull correctly the meta data/notes associated to the platform category and not the platforms. 

I'm sure the fix is simply by likely editing an XAML file for that view to show/pull platform category info instead of platform.

Sorry I can't help out more than that.  I looked through the views folder for this theme to see if I could locate where this error might be, but I couldn't find it so far.

Yes this is correct, the theme has to be specifically coded to pull that information and if I recall this theme was created before we even had platform categories in bigbox at all. Sorry I cant help with the coding at all as I know nothing of XAML.

Yeah makes sense.  It doesn't bug me much since I don't use the platform category view in BB.  Hopefully someone can find a fix for this for the people who do though.  In the meantime this is still one of my goto themes and will continue to be so until it breaks worse :P

Edited by CDBlue

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this GREAT theme!

I have a question though:
How can I enable the "Game view 1 > Media center style, with horizontal cover wheel, in light color." that you mentioned in the description on page 1.
I toggled through all view modes in the options but it always ends up with " Game view 3 > Media center style, with horizontal coverflow. " from description.

The XAML for "HorizontalWheel1GamesView", "HorizontalWheel2GamesView" and "HorizontalWheel3GamesView" are identical on my side if this is related.

Any idea? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Unless I'm missing something, I believe to get the Game View 1 that's listed on the first page of this post the closest you can get now is to select "Horizontal Boxes with details" for the game list view in the options.  For me, this seems to be what's shown on the first page of this post for the view you're looking for.  Also, make sure you have the latest version of Big Couch downloaded.  I think the different view types were introduced/renamed since this theme was last updated, but for me that seems to be the closest (if not identical) to Game View 1 that's shown on the first post.

Edited by CDBlue

• 2 years later...

Bit of a bump as this themse/thread doesn't seem to have been updated recently. Basically I've a slight issue, when viewing each console/system, the text/descriptions of these systems seems overly wide on my setup compared to how it is in the images of the first post of the thread. The text isn't readable where it overlaps on pictures of systems that are dark in colour. Is there any way to adjust this?

image.thumb.png.762aa3614d167dd58f00d97ab66b3d83.png

17 minutes ago, launcherbox said:

Bit of a bump as this themse/thread doesn't seem to have been updated recently. Basically I've a slight issue, when viewing each console/system, the text/descriptions of these systems seems overly wide on my setup compared to how it is in the images of the first post of the thread. The text isn't readable where it overlaps on pictures of systems that are dark in colour. Is there any way to adjust this?

image.thumb.png.762aa3614d167dd58f00d97ab66b3d83.png

Looks like you are using a low resolution display. Its likely this theme was created for 1080p and anything other than that will be off.

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Looks like you are using a low resolution display. Its likely this theme was created for 1080p and anything other than that will be off.

Cheers, but I'm using a 1080p 42" TV, pc is outputting 1920x1080@60....

Edited by launcherbox

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Are you using windows scaling, because that looks like a res/scaling issue to me?

Hmm, possibly...I hadn't thought of that. I am using scaling because I'm using this display as my daily driver & need to be able to read text etc...is there a way to turn scaling off on BigBox only perhaps? Thanks for the help!

Edited by launcherbox

13 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

me and another guy had the same issue when first released. looks to be the same issue.

page 2 and going you can see @viking coming with many solutions dont remember what did the trick. but he fixed it on my end .