LaunchBox Community Forums

XBOX

sarge1979

CXBX is the only one I even know of and development fizzled out on it awhile ago, but it has been picked back up (by it's original developer, I believe; haven't followed this one much) and is now called CXBX-Reloaded, so it's back in active development again. But like SentaiBrad said, you won't run very much on it and I'm not sure that anything is fully playable yet. I would also expect you'd need a BIOS.

Yeah, I wish Xbox emulation was a thing. It's really not at the moment though. I check in on it at least once a year and there never seems to be any movement.

I'd love to play Phantom Dust, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Conker: Live and Reloaded, Breakdown, Otogi 1 and 2... without having to break out my OG Xbox :( Some of those work on a 360, but not all; and of the ones that work, not all work well. Phantom Dust has horrible slowdown on 360. Conker has some occasional graphics glitches.

There's an English dub of Shenmue 2 for DC so that's something we can emulate at least :/

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2016 at 9:17 PM, Zombeaver said:

...."There's an English dub of Shenmue 2 for DC so that's something we can emulate at least :/"

I was going to try to get this too; I even saw some mods online for playing this version with the VOICES on Dreamcast (with the Xbox audio implemented into an image), but it was a MBF / MBS file format....ugh....

...but then was happy to learn that there is already a PAL version for Dreamcast for Shenmue II that provides English subtitles...and I'd much rather have the original japanese voice acting, so that one seems the better deal; at least for me!

As per the topic though, would love a working XBOX emulator too, for various other games...

20 minutes ago, cleverest said:

I was going to try to get this too; I even saw some mods online for playing this version with the VOICES on Dreamcast (with the Xbox audio implemented into an image), but it was a MBF / MBS file format....ugh....

That's exactly what I'm talking about - the English dub. There's a version floating around the interweb that uses the English voices from the Xbox version on the PAL DC version, which I can confirm works just fine in Demul.

28 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

That's exactly what I'm talking about - the English dub. There's a version floating around the interweb that uses the English voices from the Xbox version on the PAL DC version, which I can confirm works just fine in Demul.

I wouldn't want the English dub at all...I'd prefer the Japanese audio, as long as I can read it;  but I'm like that with movies too.

12 minutes ago, heelsinc said:

xbox emulation is very difficult to crack from what I understand.  The original xbox is the only past gen system I still have out and set up because of this.  Luckily mine is hard drive modded with every game released for the system loaded onto it!

We'll get there, but these things take time. Just look at the Saturn - it was only cracked this year, 21 years after the console was released. If the Xbox is in keeping with that timeframe, we've still got another 6 years to go. But yes, I've heard the same thing - I don't know what makes the Xbox so difficult to crack as I'm no software engineer, but that's been said by quite a few others that are experts on such things.

2 minutes ago, cleverest said:

I wouldn't want the English dub at all...I'd prefer the Japanese audio, as long as I can read it;  but I'm like that with movies too.

To me the English dub in Shenmue is a huge part of the charm. I typically watch films, anime, etc. in the original Japanese as well, but the English voice acting in Shenmue is so hilarious I'd have a hard time appreciating it in Japanese (and this is coming from someone that considers themselves a big fan of the games).

1 hour ago, Zombeaver said:

We'll get there, but these things take time. Just look at the Saturn - it was only cracked this year, 21 years after the console was released. If the Xbox is in keeping with that timeframe, we've still got another 6 years to go. But yes, I've heard the same thing - I don't know what makes the Xbox so difficult to crack as I'm no software engineer, but that's been said by quite a few others that are experts on such things.

Saturn emulation has still been around for a while though.  I'm guessing you're speaking about that guy that actually hacked the system it's self to be able to boot from a hard drive?  That was some pretty exciting news.  I don't play on original consoles as I just hate having stuff set up at my house but I'm sure it could help the emulation scene as well.

Just now, heelsinc said:

Saturn emulation has still been around for a while though.

It has, but only in hacky, messy, deeply-flawed forms. Prior to Mednafen, SSF was the best option we had and it had plenty of problems.

12 minutes ago, heelsinc said:

I'm guessing you're speaking about that guy that actually hacked the system it's self to be able to boot from a hard drive?

I'm talking about Dr. Abrasive cracking the Saturn's notoriously difficult copy protection this year. Mednafen's Saturn implementation appeared a month later. *cue X-Files intro music*