LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox/Retroarch losing binds

SavingPrincess

Here's my issue and my repro steps:

1. Load N64 ROM with Retroarch (Mupen64Plus)
2. Configure User 1 Input binds (to allow per-button C-mapping)
3. Test in-game, works
4. Quit
5. Re-load N64 rom, configuration is lost

I have "save configuration on exit" turned on.  

The "underlying issue" is that I need N64 to configure the controller differently than any other emulator because of the C-Stick mapping issue (I bind buttons to R-stick axis to allow C-buttons to work normally.

Here's the controller and how I have it mapped: [Picture] (attached as well)

In order to do this, I have to map the buttons marked with Yellow Arrows to Right-stick axis.

I can get it working, but as soon as I reload, it goes back to a different config. What am I missing? I want to configure the controller this way for ONLY this system. Other systems I can use a normal mapping and the "rebind" features per-core.   

2016-11-29_22-56-53.png

If you load up a custom config (Save new config, then use the -C Command in the associated platforms to call the config, like -C "config/<insert config name>"), set the controls the way you want them in the User 1 Binds area, it should save and load them up specifically each time. I have my N64 core set to load a custom config which has special controls set for a USB N64 controller. My potential theory is because it is a PS4 controller, and it's supposed to automatically get set each time. If you create the custom config, and load it each time though you should be good to go.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

If you load up a custom config (Save new config, then use the -C Command in the associated platforms to call the config, like -C "config/<insert config name>"), set the controls the way you want them in the User 1 Binds area, it should save and load them up specifically each time. I have my N64 core set to load a custom config which has special controls set for a USB N64 controller. My potential theory is because it is a PS4 controller, and it's supposed to automatically get set each time. If you create the custom config, and load it each time though you should be good to go.

Okay, I thought it pulled the config based on the core loaded automagically... but I will try to specify the config file.  Is there a good tutorial on how to create/modify config files? The only way it seems to save a config file within Retroarch is to save it over Retroarch.cfg. 

The best way to do it is in the core controller settings. With an N64 games running, open the Quick Menu go to Controls and remap it to the way you want and use the Save Core Remap File or if it is  a game specific remap use the Save Game Remap File option. You may have to turn on Load Override or Load Remaps in the Configuration section of the Settings menu.

7 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

The best way to do it is in the core controller settings. With an N64 games running, open the Quick Menu go to Controls and remap it to the way you want and use the Save Core Remap File or if it is  a game specific remap use the Save Game Remap File option. You may have to turn on Load Override or Load Remaps in the Configuration section of the Settings menu.

You can't do that with N64 though, because it forced the "C" buttons to be mapped to Axis only. It only gives you two binds, i.e. a +/- instead of buttons in the remap file. So you have to bind the R-stick axis to buttons in the Input Binds vs. just using the Remap (which I use for all OTHER cores). 

Ahh I get what you are saying now. I loaded up my stable 1.3.6 install and I see exactly the issue you are having.

But if you are feeling a bit adventurous try getting the latest nightly build and the GLupeN64 core. I had a quick look in there and it lets you have far more control over the controller.

• Like 1

Load up a game, make your controller changes, go to the first tab and go to Configurations -> Save New Config. It will create a new config file based on the core you loaded. Then go to the Edit Emulators page in LaunchBox, edit RetroArch, and in the associated platforms view, double click the N64 line. After the -L command (after the quotations), add -C "config\name of the config.cfg" and it will load that config each time you load a game. With that core loaded though, remember that any change you make will only apply to that config file, your RetroArch.cfg and any other custom config you make need to be configed separately (Retro Achievements comes to mind as that was last weeks tutorial). I am debating on this weeks tutorial being Custom Configs or Cheats in RetroArch.

• Like 1

Just to chime in here as well, I would also recommend the glupen64 core, runs much better for me than the default mupen64plus. All controller directions given above are true for this core also.

Also the newest nightlies are different, so assume this is coming in the next official update, but any changes you make while a core is loaded you can apply in the quick menu by apllying save core override.

As in the per core config in the gui is being replaced, with a simple core override in the quick menu.

Edited by neil9000
clarification

2 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Yeah I started tinkering with the new Glupen64 core and I am very impressed with it. It's by no means perfect, no N64 emulation option is yet but Glupen so far is the best overall.

Yep its been great for me. I'm running it at a higher resolution than my TV can display, with a shader as well and its been great, even conker 64 runs at 60fps at that mad resolution.

11 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

I have not tried Conker yet but DK64 and Banjo-Tooie look and play amazing running at 1920x1440 internal resolution. No obvious graphical glitches, sound is perfect.

Yep, that's the crazy resolution I'm on as well. Im on a 1080p 60inch TV by the way. I have some glitches here and there, sometimes?? Wave Race is flawless but looks like someone is shooting the lights at the 3, 2, 1, go, but ill take that over what it was!! 

At the end of the day it is still N64 emulation using the same old code base and without a total rewrite from the ground up there are going to be issues. Examples of problems using GLupeN64 is Perfect Dark loads to the initial info screen and freezes and Rogue Squadron loads to a black screen.

No N64 emulation is perfect, it's just a fact of life for now and getting small progress but GLupeN64 is small progress over current N64 options.

11 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

At the end of the day it is still N64 emulation using the same old code base and without a total rewrite from the ground up there are going to be issues. Examples of problems using GLupeN64 is Perfect Dark loads to the initial info screen and freezes and Rogue Squadron loads to a black screen.

No N64 emulation is perfect, it's just a fact of life for now and getting small progress but GLupeN64 is small progress over current N64 options.

Of course you are right, and it will NEVER be perfect. But as someone who stood in line back in march 97, to pick one up, its getting closer every week!!