LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox/Retroarch losing binds

SavingPrincess

Well lets just say that Cen64 is not in usable state at all and a cycle accurate emulator is going to need a lot of processing power. Think about this, for 100% cycle accurate SNES requires a 3 GHz CPU to emulate a 3.5 MHz system. That means you need a hell of a lot more CPU power to do the N64 properly.

This gets into why the Vulkan Mupen64 core was made. It was done to see if it was possible to emulate using the power of a GPU because CPUs are not getting that much faster anymore. If you can harness the GPU for emulation that means you can get more accurate emulation without having to scale the CPU requirements.

1 minute ago, lordmonkus said:

Well lets just say that Cen64r is not in usable state at all and a cycle accurate emulator is going to need a lot of processing power. Think about this, for 100% cycle accurate SNES requires a 3 GHz CPU to emulate a 3.5 MHz system. That means you need a hell of a lot more CPU power to do the N64 properly.

This gets into why the Vulkan Mupen64 core was made. It was done to see if it was possible to emulate using the power of a GPU because CPUs are not getting that much faster anymore. If you can harness the GPU for emulation that means you can get more accurate emulation without having to scale the CPU requirements.

lol, ok, I now this!!! :)

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

is it all good for you now?

will have to try when I get home... it makes sense though... I think the missing component is the "-c filename.cfg" command line. Also, when I say "save new config" it just says "saved as C:\blahblah\retroarch\retroarch.cfg  So even if I save a "NEW" config, is it just overwriting the old one? 

If you use the new nightly build you wont need to mess with the -c command, you can simply save out the control scheme in the core controller settings and it will just load automatically. Plus the nightly build seems to have better controller controls so you can set your c-buttons to actual buttons instead of the analog stick.

1 hour ago, lordmonkus said:

At the end of the day it is still N64 emulation using the same old code base and without a total rewrite from the ground up there are going to be issues. Examples of problems using GLupeN64 is Perfect Dark loads to the initial info screen and freezes and Rogue Squadron loads to a black screen.

No N64 emulation is perfect, it's just a fact of life for now and getting small progress but GLupeN64 is small progress over current N64 options.

Hi, I'm the creator (if you can call it that) of GLupeN64. Perfect Dark doesn't like all the controllers having memory paks inserted for some reason, if you modify the core options and change the controller types from "memory" to "none" (you can leave player 1 as "memory" if you'd like), it should work, that is the default now so it shouldn't be an issue for new users.

Rogue Squadron requires the RSP running in LLE mode, in the Core Options change "RSP Mode" from "HLE" to "LLE" for that game to work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

If you use the new nightly build you wont need to mess with the -c command, you can simply save out the control scheme in the core controller settings and it will just load automatically. Plus the nightly build seems to have better controller controls so you can set your c-buttons to actual buttons instead of the analog stick.

So I DL'd the nightly build and I am still not seeing a way to map C-buttons to individual buttons. I see the "A Button (C-Right)" and the "C Buttons X/Y" axis mapping.  Am I doing something wrong? You can see that I have GLupeN64 vf308bbf loaded.  So confused. 

remap.png

user input.png

version.png

Edited by SavingPrincess
upload pictures

1 minute ago, lordmonkus said:

Hmm, I could have sworn I saw something in there to do what you wanted. I got a USB N64 controller, i'll plug that in and see what I can see with that controller. Maybe the fact I am using an XBox controller is making it annoying.

Thanks. Worst-case I can fall back on the janky-mapping R-stick to buttons and loading the -c param, but I'd love to make this work pretty natively. :)

Ok with the Retrolink brand USB N64 controller it pretty much just worked right out the box. Though I did have to select that controller in the Controls menu because I had 2 other controllers plugged in as well and I had to adjust the A and B buttons but the C-buttons just worked as they should.

Ill see what happens when I tell the emu to use my Hori FC even though it has no analog stick it has the 6 face buttons like your controller.

42 minutes ago, SavingPrincess said:

So I DL'd the nightly build and I am still not seeing a way to map C-buttons to individual buttons. I see the "A Button (C-Right)" and the "C Buttons X/Y" axis mapping.  Am I doing something wrong? You can see that I have GLupeN64 vf308bbf loaded.  So confused. 

remap.png

user input.png

version.png

Change user 1 device type to retro pad with analogue.