LaunchBox Community Forums

New Vulkan Renderer For Mednafen PSX Core

Zombeaver

It works on the nightly version. Do normal shaders not work with Vulkan? The only ones I could get to work were the slang ones - cg and glsl didn't seem to do anything. There doesn't appear to be a slang version of Hyllian Glow :( There's a CRT Easymode Halation at least.

Slang are the only shaders that work, they are written for the Vulkan API. Shaders are being converted but apparently from what I have read over on the Retroarch forums the conversion tool doesn't fully work so there is some manual work that has to be hand done. And of course since we are now up rezzing by pretty significant amounts that has a big impact on how shaders look. The screenshots I posted earlier are using the Lottes shader.

Eeesh... it's always somethin'.

Most of the slang versions look pretty weird to me. A lot of them look less like scanlines and more just "let's throw some black lines on the screen." CRT-Easymode Halation seems to be causing a bit of weird jitteriness so I'm using Royale for the time being. Guess it's gonna take some time.

Yeah, Vulkan and the Slang shaders are early so were stuck with what we got for now. Try out the lottes shader if you haven't already and see what you think. I have used the Royale as well and it looks pretty good, I had a couple of screen shots on that other thread but they don't look as good in shots as they do in motion.

Ehh... honestly I think that criticism would be much more appropriately laid at the feet of Hideo Kojima than anything in FFVII. The whole more-movie-than-game thing basically started with MGS; and I say that as someone that loves MGS (well, 1 and 3 anyway). I think you'd have a hard time arguing that there's "not enough game" in FFVII.