LaunchBox Community Forums

Has anyone set up DICE in launchbox?

heelsinc

DICE 0.9 simulates 21 of the pre-CPU arcade games of the 1970's.

As there are no actual game files for LaunchBox to point to, you need to run DICE as an application and add the game name (as known to DICE) as a parameter.

Some games also need an external ROM image in order to work properly: Anti-Aircraft, Attack, Clean Sweep, Crash n Score, Indy 4, Jet Fighter, Shark JAWS, Steeplechase, Stunt Cycle and Wipeout.
You need the TTL versions of these. The ROMs (still zipped) go in the DICE roms folder and they must be renamed to the DICE recognised names as listed in the text file that comes with DICE.
These games are also launched with DICE run as an application. DICE will detect if an external ROM is present and use it.

DICE broadly follows MAME in expecting coin credit entering and select player to start.

22 minutes ago, spycat said:

DICE 0.9 simulates 21 of the pre-CPU arcade games of the 1970's.

As there are no actual game files for LaunchBox to point to, you need to run DICE as an application and add the game name (as known to DICE) as a parameter.

Some games also need an external ROM image in order to work properly: Anti-Aircraft, Attack, Clean Sweep, Crash n Score, Indy 4, Jet Fighter, Shark JAWS, Steeplechase, Stunt Cycle and Wipeout.
You need the TTL versions of these. The ROMs (still zipped) go in the DICE roms folder and they must be renamed to the DICE recognised names as listed in the text file that comes with DICE.
These games are also launched with DICE run as an application. DICE will detect if an external ROM is present and use it.

DICE broadly follows MAME in expecting coin credit entering and select player to start.

Yea I have the extra roms can you give me more of a step by step on how to do this?

Edited by heelsinc

To add each game

Application Path:
point this to your DICE executable.

Parameters:
type the game name (you'll find the list in the ReadMe text file that came with DICE).

When you press OK and LaunchBox goes on about using an emulator etc., just select NO.

For certain games to work properly, an external ROM is also needed.
Put them in the roms folder in your DICE folder; if you don't see this folder then create it.
These external ROMs must be renamed according to the DICE ReadMe list.
So the game Anti-Aircraft [TTL] needs it's external ROM renamed from antiairc.zip to antiaircraft.zip

There's no need to do anything else with these external ROMs. Whan a game that needs one is run, DICE will know one is needed and look in it's roms folder for it. If the ROM is missing or wrongly named, then DICE will show an error box.

Two images here, one of a DICE game LaunchBox setup, the other of my DICE roms folder.DICE_Edit_Game.PNGDICE_romsfolder.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good information I got it running but I couldn't get my keyboard to input anything despite the fact that in the settings it said my keys were already mapped. I'm going to mess with it later

That snap shot of the UI reminds me how much I don't miss the Skeuomorphism in Windows Explorer and on the forms

Just like MAME you need to first insert coins (keyboard 5) and start (keyboard 1) to exit demo mode and play.

Also, fullscreen may look iffy. Hitting the fullscreen/window toggle F11 key twice should give you fullscreen proper.
You need to play around with DICE itself before adding it to LaunchBox.

Yes it's the Vista Windows Explorer.
LaunchBox and BigBox (Jason's default theme) are both running merrily with no issues apart from VLCx86 not working. WMP is doing the job just fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi, I had downloaded the latest version of the DICE Emulator, downloaded the Shark Jaws and Steeplechase ROMs, but when I had played the games, there was no sound on either game. Every site that has the ROMs state that there is no sound in either ROM and there are no samples for the ROMs either. How can I get sound for the DICE Emulator games with ROMs?

• 9 months later...

Hey everyone,
I know this post is a bit old, however, I've been fumbling around with adding D.I.C.E. to Launchbox on ver. 12.6. Here is how I was able to get everything imported and fully working. Get everything working in the D.I.C.E. emulator prior to following the steps outlined below (setup UI keys and game play inputs).

1. Set up the D.I.C.E. emulator (tools, manage, emulators)
-Add a new emulator and name it D.I.C.E.
-Add the application path but do not adjust any other settings/inputs (screenshot attached)
-Select associated platforms and add the platform you will be importing your games into. I imported mine under D.I.C.E. to keep everything uniform.

2. Importing "Roms"
-I ended up creating a new text doc (right click, new, text document) for each game in the "roms" folder. I named each text doc as the game name appeared under the D.I.C.E. "new game" selection screen (screenshot attached). No info is needed in the text doc.

-Open Launchbox and import roms (tools, import, rom files). Select add files and navigate to your D.I.C.E. roms folder and select all of the blank .txt files that were created in the previous step.

-Click next, select the platform (I input D.I.C.E.). If you import under something other than a default platform, scrape as Arcade.

-Click next again, and D.I.C.E. should already be identified under the "Chose and emulator" dropdown (if you followed my setup).

-Click next, use files in their current location, next, (select download images if you want, otherwise click check none in the bottom left corner) next, do the same for parsing EMU movies database (click next).

-On the "Would you like to specify any custom options" screen, leave everything blank. Click next, then finish.

3. Edit each game after import
-Right click on the game and click edit, edit metadata/media (ctrl+e)
-Select Emulation under Launching on the left-hand side.
-Check "Use Custom Command-Line Parameters" and type in the name of the game without any spaces or special characters (i.e. Chrash 'N Score is crashnscore). Then click ok.

The game should open in full screen and play the correct game. Again, this is how I was able to get everything imported and working in LB, not saying this is the correct way. Hope this helps anyone looking to add D.I.C.E. in the future.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2021 at 9:26 PM, Dr_1911 said:

Hey everyone,
I know this post is a bit old, however, I've been fumbling around with adding D.I.C.E. to Launchbox on ver. 12.6. Here is how I was able to get everything imported and fully working. Get everything working in the D.I.C.E. emulator prior to following the steps outlined below (setup UI keys and game play inputs).

1. Set up the D.I.C.E. emulator (tools, manage, emulators)........

Thanks for those instructions. I found this post as I was looking for a guide on setting up D.I.C.E and your instructions were spot on!! Followed them and it worked a treat. Just wanted to say a big Thank You!! 🙂

PS.. the list of games as per v0.9 of DICE is:

antiaircraft
attack
breakout
cleansweep
crashnscore
crossfire
gotcha
jetfighter
hiway
indy4
pinpong