LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Mame Core Now Good

Lordmonkus

As the title states the Mame core of Retroarch is now looking to be extremely good and I would say it is actually worth using.

This was posted over on the Libretro forums https://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7815 It is not an official core but rather a core compiled by a user but after some quick testing I will say it is very good. It is based off the 180 build of Mame, has the nag screen removed and the "tab" menu is now readable. Also I am not sure if this is a core fix or a shader or nothing at all but some quick tests of a couple of shaders like crt-aperture and crt-hyllian-glow they actually look good with vertical oriented games. Below are 2 screen shots, be sure and view them full size to get a proper view of them.

Is this better, worse or on par with a stand alone version of Mame using the BGFX or HLSL shaders ? That I cannot answer for sure but I will say that I would not strongly recommend against using this core over a stand alone like I have in the past.

ddonpach-161220-205752.png

ddonpach-161220-210117.png

• Like 2

This is great news! I'll have to try this out. I've always had a mix of MAMEUI, RA / FBA, and RA / MAME for my Arcade platform so if I can pare it down to just RA / MAME that'd be great. Working shaders with vertical alignment alone is huge.

Does the Tab menu actually do anything in the core though? That's always been something that's bothered me about MAME in RA in the past - whether legible or not, nothing I changed in it ever seemed to actually stick when using a RA core. This isn't a huge deal on games that have traditional controls (shmups, beat-em-ups, etc.), but it's kindof a huge problem when you start getting into games that have weird control schemes that involve paddles, throttles, etc. because they often require tweaking beyond what's possible via RA's control configuration.

Yes, the "tab" menu does work, at least it did for me with my controller bindings for specific games like twin stick shooters (Robotron and Smash TV). I am not sure if the vertical games and shaders are necessarily "fixed" as such but from my testing they do look better than they used to look.

does this need a specific rom pack version?  I'm just starting to try to set up mame and it sucks!  I have the .161 pack with all the updates to .179 but nothing works in mame .179 but most work in .161 mame.  Will the retroarch core give me the same issues?

Example is WWF Superstars works fine on Mame .161 but not on .179 which is weird cause I didn't see anything for that game in the update packs so I don't think anything on it changed.

Edited by heelsinc

I've downloaded this new core, and changed the emulator from mame to retroarch and configured the plataform to launch the core properly,  but it is not working for me the game does not boot just closes right away, do i have to put the mame bios inside the system folder under retroarch ? or something else ? 

7 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

There aren't any such thing as a "mame bios" as such. There are system bios like for consoles.

Any bios that a mame rom needs (such as NeoGeo) goes in the folder with the roms themselves.

i understand so i do not need to move my "mame" roms folder to make them work with mame core in retroarch right ? Well now i do not know what i did it wrong....

Well, it's entirely possible it was something I did at the time early on in an attempt to get it working but wasn't actually necessary. I'm not sure. If you don't have to, great. I know for standalone they just have to be in the same folder as the roms; for some reason my recollection was that it worked differently in RA. There's so much stuff in my system folder at this point I'm not sure I could even distinguish which of them, if any, are MAME-related.

Do games that use .chds work with the new core? I don't think I ever managed to get those working in RA MAME.

Non arcade stuff like consoles and older pcs need weird shit done to the \system folder but as far as I know the standard run of the mill arcade stuff doesn't. It also quite possible that the stuff I tried did not need any bios files at all, my patience with Mame through Retroarch grew thin after I quickly realized how limited it was compared to stand alone. I suppose I could try something that needs a bios like some Atari or Sega system 16 stuff.

I know nothing about chds, I never bothered to waste my limited bandwidth on them.