LaunchBox Community Forums

How to Manual select the Rom version Arcade

StuDentBR

Hey guys i am needing some help, I want to change the version of a arcade games  (sunset riders) launchbox added a 4 player version of this game which i do not like because i can not choose between the character, and i do not plan to play with more than 2 controlers anyways, how can i change to the 2 players version of this game ? 

Edited by StuDentBR

Do the versions have two separate ROMs and do you have a split set? If your MAME set is a merged set then I have no clue how you go about getting it to work if you have the split set you can probably go to edit for the game and click browse after looking at the name of the 4player ROM then look for one with an almost identical name and change the one you are using to that one.

6 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Do the versions have two separate ROMs and do you have a split set? If your MAME set is a merged set then I have no clue how you go about getting it to work if you have the split set you can probably go to edit for the game and click browse after looking at the name of the 4player ROM then look for one with an almost identical name and change the one you are using to that one.

i have one ssriders.zip file, and there are a lots of files inside of it but i can't choose one of them when i am editing the location of the rom in LB,  i thought that those files inside are the versions of the game, am i wrong ?

Sem título.jpg

4 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Merged sets have way less files but they also have way less flexibility when it comes to using the clones in LB

i don't really understand this thing of merged or not sets..

it weird because i can open the 2 players version of sunset riders in mame, but can not choose in launchbox....

I guess i will try to find just this game with a diferent version, my mame set is just 4,4gb diferent from a 1.80 romset which is between 30gb and 50gb, (is this really necessary ?) haha 

i also have problem with the cps3 games i can open them in mame but not in launchbox...

2 hours ago, StuDentBR said:

i don't really understand this thing of merged or not sets..

it weird because i can open the 2 players version of sunset riders in mame, but can not choose in launchbox....

I guess i will try to find just this game with a diferent version, my mame set is just 4,4gb diferent from a 1.80 romset which is between 30gb and 50gb, (is this really necessary ?) haha 

i also have problem with the cps3 games i can open them in mame but not in launchbox...

By the looks of the screenshot you posted you have the parent rom which is the 4 player one, you need the 2 player clone rom file to go with it which is what you would put in the same folder as the rest of your roms but you point Launchbox to it instead.

Since your set is only 4.4 gigs in size you are probably missing a whole pile of clone roms which may be needed depending on the version of games you want to play. You are also probably missing the 2 player versions of TMNT and X-Men as well.

The full set is 50 gig set is not really necessary but it is complete and has absolutely everything you could need which in the end does make certain things much easier.

You can probably just find the 2 player clone files for the games you want with a little searching.

Parent:
Sunset Riders (4 Players ver EAC) - ssriders.zip

Clones:
Sunset Riders (2 Players ver ABD) - ssridersabd.zip
Sunset Riders (2 Players ver EBC) - ssridersebc.zip
Sunset Riders (2 Players ver EBD) - ssridersebd.zip
Sunset Riders (2 Players ver JBD) - ssridersjbd.zip
Sunset Riders (2 Players ver UBC) - ssridersubc.zip
Sunset Riders (4 Players ver ADD) - ssridersadd.zip
Sunset Riders (4 Players ver EAA) - ssriderseaa.zip
Sunset Riders (4 Players ver JAC) - ssridersjac.zip
Sunset Riders (4 Players ver JAD) - ssridersjad.zip
Sunset Riders (4 Players ver UAB) - ssridersuab.zip
Sunset Riders (4 Players ver UAC) - ssridersuac.zip
Sunset Riders (4 Players ver UDA) - ssridersuda.zip
Sunset Riders (bootleg 4 Players ver ADD) - ssridersb.zip
Sunset Riders 2 (bootleg 4 Players ver ADD) - ssriders2.zip

• 1 year later...

According to Dankcushions form another forum

as a one off, i'm told if you rename the merged zip file to the name of the specific clone you want to play, then it will load rather than the parent.

I can confirm that as well.

So if you simply rename your merged set zip file to the name of the clone it will load that clone.

I believe (but haven't tested) that if you add the clone name without the zip to the additional app for a specific game and have the don't use file extension checkbox checked in the emulator settings you can launch the clone without needing to copy paste or change the name of any of your zips.

@DOS76

I could not get it to work your way, however it inspired me

YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE ROM DIRECTORY SET IN MAME64 for this to work.

to load a clone via command line you type mame64.exe "galplus" to load gaplus of galaga parent.

So I turned off the emulation check box and put in the application path ..\..\..\mame64.exe and in the application command line i put "gaplus"

Untitled.thumb.jpg.2310357db4129b75e34a07d01a4abb44.jpg

another option would be bat files

you could simply make one that says

d:
cd Games\Emulators\Mame
mame64.exe "gaplus"

Whichever is easier

What would be the easiest way and make merge files handier, would be if Jason added in the ability to simply have "gaplus" as the rom name. like thisUntitled.thumb.jpg.73198c5c17a1823d987d8dc5b6719c58.jpg