LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox lag

noiseordinance

5 minutes ago, Eckers569 said:

No - unfortunately the priority resets back to ‘normal’ again in task manager when you close and reopen the application. 

After some more testing I’m pretty sure I’m getting better results prioritising my controller (I.e the UCR keyboard to controller app) rather than prioritising the BigBox app itself. I’m sure Both have given me better results though - but does make me wonder what all this other shit I have running on my computer is! 

I’m Gonna play around with my nvidia control panel settings tonight and make a BigBox specific profile (make sure there’s no vsync or other ‘enhancements’ running by default). Most of the time something is running bad I find it’s an nvidia GPU setting that’s causing the grief.

Also check screen refresh, how much Hz is it set at?

20 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Also check screen refresh, how much Hz is it set at?

Good point. I’m  Just running on my bog standard Sony TV - at 60hz I assume -but have never set any specifics computer side. Will also try with a proper monitor too see if that helps. Still strange the using the keyboard works flawlessly regardless.

i would try other controller types too but Windows has a habit of reprioritising all my controllers and crapping up my emulators if I plug anything new in or change the very specific routine I have to reconnect all my devices (controllers, wheel, gear stick etc) so I dare not go down that route again!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Eckers569 said:

Good point. I’m  Just running on my bog standard Sony TV - at 60hz I assume -but have never set any specifics computer side. Will also try with a proper monitor too see if that helps. Still strange the using the keyboard works flawlessly regardless.

i would try other controller types too but Windows has a habit of reprioritising all my controllers and crapping up my emulators if I plug anything new in or change the very specific routine I have to reconnect all my devices (controllers, wheel, gear stick etc) so I dare not go down that route again!

Also check in your gpu settings (nvidia settings, the tab where you set the resolution) at which screen refresh rate its set. Maybe it's set at wrong Hz, worth a try to have a look as Ive read someone had problems with this before but it could be unrelated. Should be set at 60Hz as well as far as I know.

Tried current Beta 8, and it is the best I have used in terms of the controller lag issue. Almost non existent, very quick scrolling up or down and repeated quick taps are fine 90% of the time. Tried heaps of in and out of menus and in and out of a game and its good :) Will try the priority setting tomorrow and see if there is any difference :)

• Like 3

I have pretty beefy machine and I cant believe I experience so much slowness with Big Box, it looks like it gets better with certain wheel views but still. I'm using future state theme. I have around 40 games loaded not more than that. Mostly CPU get clogged, gets used constantly up to 99% by big box. I try some stuff that i see people recommending here, but with not much improvement. And there is some stuff that I'm not willing to do every time when i run big box, like killing bunch of process and turning off my antivirus or firewall, I'm using big box for looks but convenience as well,  and if I have to do all this stuff every time to improve performance than that's not convenient anymore, especially because I think my machine is more than capable to run it. 

My specs are:

MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON LGA 1151

Intel Core i7-8700 Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.6 GHz LGA 1151 300 Series 95W

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING, 11G-P4-5390-KR, 11GB GDDR5X

16 GB DDR4

5 minutes ago, Mile Panic said:

I have pretty beefy machine and I cant believe I experience so much slowness with Big Box, it looks like it gets better with certain wheel views but still. I'm using future state theme. I have around 40 games loaded not more than that. Mostly CPU get clogged, gets used constantly up to 99% by big box. I try some stuff that i see people recommending here, but with not much improvement. And there is some stuff that I'm not willing to do every time when i run big box, like killing bunch of process and turning off my antivirus or firewall, I'm using big box for looks but convenience as well,  and if I have to do all this stuff every time to improve performance than that's not convenient anymore, especially because I think my machine is more than capable to run it. 

My specs are:

MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON LGA 1151

Intel Core i7-8700 Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.6 GHz LGA 1151 300 Series 95W

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING, 11G-P4-5390-KR, 11GB GDDR5X

16 GB DDR4

That system is bangin, of course, so any slowness you're running into is either a glitch that is specific to your system that we haven't found yet, or some kind of misconfiguration. If you can zip up and PM me your LaunchBox\Data folder, I'll take a look to see if it happens to be data-related. You shouldn't have to turn stuff off every time you run Big Box, of course, but I dare say that some anti-virus programs are absolute crap and can make even amazing systems crawl (especially if you happen to be running three of them).

Regardless, I'm more than happy to offer you a refund if you'd rather not try and figure it out, but I don't think it's possible for a system that fast to have performance issues in Big Box unless there's an anomaly going on.

@Mile Panic I am not sure which antivirus software you use but you can also add an exception to BigBox.exe and LaunchBox.exe so those never get scanned by the software. Thats what I do with Windows Defender and I also add an exception to exclude the entire LaunchBox folder to never get scanned by Defender so it doesnt add any slowdown. Also have you experienced slowness with other themes or just Futurestate?

Ok I tested everything again, and looks like problems are horizontal views 1,2 and 3 in futurestate theme, with every other view everything works fine, but as soon I switch to those views my cpu get used to 99%. Seem like horizontal view 3 is the worse totally freezes my machine. 

1 minute ago, Mile Panic said:

Ok I tested everything again, and looks like problems are horizontal views 1,2 and 3 in futurestate theme, with every other view everything works fine, but as soon I switch to those views my cpu get used to 99%. Seem like horizontal view 3 is the worse totally freezes my machine. 

Ah, okay. Well that's interesting. I will test with that theme to see if I can figure out what might be causing it. :)

3 minutes ago, Mile Panic said:

I have a setup with pretty much the same specs. I will test the same theme and views and see if I have the same issues. 

So strange; I can't seem to replicate any performance issues with that theme. That said, I don't have any media in my test install so that could be why. I'll do some more testing with it to see if I can come up with anything. @Mile Panic If you have any way to record a quick video, that would be awesome because then I'll know exactly what to look for. But I know that's not always easy so no worries if not.

@Mile Panic OK I tested that theme and the views you mentioned on 2 pcs. 1 Has pretty much same specs as you and the second is I7-7700 16GB Ram/GTX1060. Neither of the 2 showed any sluggish performance. At worst the I7 spiked to about 31% usage on view 2 and 3 but that was only on initial use. After that it settled and rarely got that high again. They both are pretty bare with only the necessary software to run LaunchBox and the emulators. 

How many games do you have imported?