LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox lag

noiseordinance

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

I just put out beta 6 which does have some minor controller performance improvements, but I still doubt it will fix the lag with Use All Controllers. I'm going to be doing some more testing with my GPD Win 2, but feel free to let me know if there's any difference.

The way the "Use All Controllers" feature works is that it parses the system for new controllers every five seconds, and if you want LaunchBox to automatically find new controllers, there's not really any way around it that I can see. So beyond what I've done, we might be out of luck. At least most people will be able to just turn that feature off if they're experiencing lag.

Maybe a sub-option could be added to enable/disable to keep listening for new controllers? As with this, the users can have all their controllers found at launch, and experience no lag during the session. Don't know; just thinking out loud.

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I just put out beta 6 which does have some minor controller performance improvements, but I still doubt it will fix the lag with Use All Controllers. I'm going to be doing some more testing with my GPD Win 2, but feel free to let me know if there's any difference.

The way the "Use All Controllers" feature works is that it parses the system for new controllers every five seconds, and if you want LaunchBox to automatically find new controllers, there's not really any way around it that I can see. So beyond what I've done, we might be out of luck. At least most people will be able to just turn that feature off if they're experiencing lag.

Can it be set to search for controllers on Bigbox launch and coming out of a emulator back to the Bigbox UI maybe?

I went to play some Games on Friday eve, Launchbox asked me to do the new Beta update prior so I went ahead, and it looked to me that the glitching was back even with the "Use All Controllers" option off :( I am going to give it a spin again this evening to verify so not sure if there is anything in that new update the might cause it

On 8/25/2018 at 7:40 AM, Kondorito said:

Maybe a sub-option could be added to enable/disable to keep listening for new controllers? As with this, the users can have all their controllers found at launch, and experience no lag during the session. Don't know; just thinking out loud.

Good suggestion. Once the issue finally is stable and resolved this suggestion seems the most logical implementation to me, that way all controllers can be used as long as they are on prior to kicking in to Big Box :)

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

I went to play some Games on Friday eve, Launchbox asked me to do the new Beta update prior so I went ahead, and it looked to me that the glitching was back even with the "Use All Controllers" option off :( I am going to give it a spin again this evening to verify so not sure if there is anything in that new update the might cause it

I am having the same thing as well. Updated the new beta and now whether the controller option is checked or not, getting the stuttering again. 

5 hours ago, noiseordinance said:

I am having the same thing as well. Updated the new beta and now whether the controller option is checked or not, getting the stuttering again. 

ahhhh phew not just me then, yeh I was like damn I swear I tested this and it was fine but forgot at the very start of the evening I had said yes to the upgrade. Just double checked it again now and 100% glitchy as ever unfortunately :|

Edited by Rjay
rewording

Lol, wow. Alright, I've reverted the code to what it was when it was confirmed working. I'm more confused on this one than ever, honestly. I hope the testing isn't just being misleading. Anyways, the changes will be out in the next beta later today. The strange thing is I tested everything on the GPD Win 2 and had no issues at all, even with Use All Controllers checked. But if it's fixed for when it's unchecked, I'm just gonna leave it alone for now.

17 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Lol, wow. Alright, I've reverted the code to what it was when it was confirmed working. I'm more confused on this one than ever, honestly. I hope the testing isn't just being misleading. Anyways, the changes will be out in the next beta later today. The strange thing is I tested everything on the GPD Win 2 and had no issues at all, even with Use All Controllers checked. But if it's fixed for when it's unchecked, I'm just gonna leave it alone for now.

thanks for your continued work on this @Jason Carr I am sure it is frustrating as trying to pin it down! Definitely trying to be as thorough and consistent as possible with testing. Ok so upgraded to the new Beta (6) and it is better but I can still get glitches although they are far less "abrupt" and not as often, i can scroll a great deal more evenly with repeated up or down presses and can probably get about 20 in before it might show a skip where it jumps 3 -5 at a time or lags hard and takes 2 -3 up or down presses to move to next selection.

When I tested and it was working it was a brief test before I had to head to work and maybe I only scrolled up and down 5 - 10 or so cleanly which was still far better than I was ever getting before so possibly I thought it was fixed and then when I went to retest to confirm it was working 100% that new Beta (5) was out and I went straight to it without even thinking and it was definitely displaying the glitches.

Also current testing it seems to be roughly same performance with or without All Controllers ticked

Edited by Rjay

6 hours ago, Rjay said:

thanks for your continued work on this @Jason Carr I am sure it is frustrating as trying to pin it down! Definitely trying to be as thorough and consistent as possible with testing. Ok so upgraded to the new Beta (6) and it is better but I can still get glitches although they are far less "abrupt" and not as often, i can scroll a great deal more evenly with repeated up or down presses and can probably get about 20 in before it might show a skip where it jumps 3 -5 at a time or lags hard and takes 2 -3 up or down presses to move to next selection.

When I tested and it was working it was a brief test before I had to head to work and maybe I only scrolled up and down 5 - 10 or so cleanly which was still far better than I was ever getting before so possibly I thought it was fixed and then when I went to retest to confirm it was working 100% that new Beta (5) was out and I went straight to it without even thinking and it was definitely displaying the glitches.

Also current testing it seems to be roughly same performance with or without All Controllers ticked

Okay; I believe this means that our testing has been flawed, sadly. The code is now exactly the same as it was back when everyone confirmed that it was working properly with Use All Controllers unchecked. So basically, it may be improved, but I'm guessing that it was never really fully fixed. Regardless, I think we'll run with this for the next official release.

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay; I believe this means that our testing has been flawed, sadly. The code is now exactly the same as it was back when everyone confirmed that it was working properly with Use All Controllers unchecked. So basically, it may be improved, but I'm guessing that it was never really fully fixed. Regardless, I think we'll run with this for the next official release.

Yep agreed now we could do a couple of things here (depending completely on your thoughts @Jason Carr) , we can try to get @noiseordinance that also found it smooth on the earlier version to chime in and see if they got to test it more than once like I did before the upgrade to Beta(5) or depending on the software versioning going on in the background you could link me to or PM a download link for that previous version and I can test again :)

thanks

Just now, Lordmonkus said:

Check in your \Launchbox\Updates folder, it should be there unless you deleted it.

Legend thanks Lordmonkus, only been using LaunchBox 6 months or so, learn something new every time I visit the forums :D

OK yep the installers are there and I just logged in and was offered Beta 9 so I will try that this eve, followed by going back to the original Beta we thought was working which looks to be Berta 1 or 5, I will match it up with the forum posts above or just test them both thoroughly :)

thanks

• Like 1

Hey @Jason Carr, I reverted back to beta 1 and it does seem like everything is smoother. I'm not getting the stuttering / lag at all. I agree that the testing is sorta difficult since the behavior is rather sporadic. I spent about 10 minutes going in and out of games, testing the UI, back and forth and it seems pretty smooth on this beta. Going back to beta 9 makes it skippy again. Super weird!

Edit: Just restarted beta 1 again and now it's being skippy / laggy. I don't know, you are probably right, maybe the issue was never corrected to begin with. :/

Edited by noiseordinance

I upgraded to Beta 9 to test and yep laggy/stuttery as. I then went back through installing the Beta's from my updates directory. Beta 1, still roughly the same with or without the tick for use all controllers, Beta 5 was definitely smoother for me with Use all controllers off. I spent about 5 - 10 mins on those three versions scrolling up and down my games lists (holding down and up and also just tapping up and down slow and rapidly). Some slight lag on Beta 5 but definitely smoother overall. I am going to test again this evening to make sure its fine and will try going in and out of a few games as well.

@noiseordinance can you try Beta 5 again as well if possible?

thanks

Retested again tonight - Upgraded and then downgraded to Beta 5 again. It's definitely the best out of them on my system. Its not 100% perfect (occasional lag from button press to action, very occasional skip but not huge skips of 5 or so titles like other releases) but most of the time pretty accurate after the initial load of the games list. Up and down presses are distinct and fine, slight slight delay maybe compared to keyboard but definitely far more usable.

Any thoughts @Jason Carr was there anything specifically different about Beta 5 that might make the behaviour of Controllers better?

thanks

I looked into the code and unfortunately it's what I suspected: the controller code is exactly the same now as it was in beta 5. So I'm lost on that. It's possible that it's being caused by something else we added though, so maybe it's worth testing with the keyboard to see if you have the same issue.

I do plan to work on performance specifically when loading up platforms from the platform category list, but I doubt that's what you're running into @Rjay.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I looked into the code and unfortunately it's what I suspected: the controller code is exactly the same now as it was in beta 5. So I'm lost on that. It's possible that it's being caused by something else we added though, so maybe it's worth testing with the keyboard to see if you have the same issue.

I do plan to work on performance specifically when loading up platforms from the platform category list, but I doubt that's what you're running into @Rjay.

Thanks for taking a look any how @Jason Carr , do you mean testing with the keyboard to see if it glitches as well? If so, I have a Logitech KB sitting along side the controller on the lounge and give it a spin every now and then and its fine, haven't noticed any performance difference when using the keyboard on any version of BigBox. Also I launch BigBox out of Kodi most of the time and the Controller is always smooth as when navigating Kodi.

yeh its awesome hey, the whole fully integrated thing was what made me upgrade to actually having a gaming PC again instead of just my Tiny NUC style PC in the lounge as a Media machine. Still ended up doing a Micro build  so its about the size of a Xbox console. Went this case, only drama was finding a decent vid card that was short enough to fit, ended up with a Gigabyte small version of the 1050Ti which does all I need. https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=653

On a side note @noiseordinance does your "initialising  Bigbox" speech at the start of opening Bigbox jerk and stutter? and if so any way to get it smooth or should I just turn it off.

It does make sense for beta 6 to have been the smoothest beta, because I had put in the most performance improvements. However, I ended up reverting the improvements that I had put in for beta 6 due to claims that they made it worse lol. So perhaps I'll go back to the improvements I had put in...