LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox lag

noiseordinance

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

@Mile Panic OK I tested that theme and the views you mentioned on 2 pcs. 1 Has pretty much same specs as you and the second is I7-7700 16GB Ram/GTX1060. Neither of the 2 showed any sluggish performance. At worst the I7 spiked to about 31% usage on view 2 and 3 but that was only on initial use. After that it settled and rarely got that high again. They both are pretty bare with only the necessary software to run LaunchBox and the emulators. 

How many games do you have imported?

i have not more than 10 per platform, I think in total around 40

7 hours ago, Mile Panic said:

You will see toward the end starting to stutter, and than at the end completely freezes even tho i went back to vertical wheel 1(one that always works perfect). 

WOW, yeah thats not right, i have lower specs than you, (i5 3570k, 16GB DD3, GTX 1060 6GB) and i have never seen Bigbox anywhere near that bad. I would have to agree with what other people have said in here that there i s program/AV on your system interfering there some how. Have you tried disabling AV software while running Bigbox? does it behave the same if you do? If its still like that with AV off it could be another program interfering but narrowing that down could prove difficult. Your specs are very very good, so it has to be something specific to your system.

EDIT:

Also i have around 15,000 games in my setup, with perfect performance, so the fact that you get this performance with only 40 games is very strange.

10 hours ago, Mile Panic said:

You will see toward the end starting to stutter, and than at the end completely freezes even tho i went back to vertical wheel 1(one that always works perfect). 

One thing you can try is to run BB under Windows Safe Mode. That way you can check if the AV or any other app/tool/service might be conflicting with it. 

Tested with the priority set as high for Big Box and was smooth, I assume that the Big Box plugin for Kodi (how I launch Big Box as it's my main media machine in the lounge) is not written by yourself @Jason Carr and is a community add in?

Just wanted to check if there was a way to get the launch Big Box with a priority from there. Obviously I could do a couple of work around solutions it has an option to run a script so possibly I can just write something to change the priority of Big Box once it's launched or write a watcher to change the priority to high when it sees the BigBox exe running

5 hours ago, Kondorito said:

One thing you can try is to run BB under Windows Safe Mode. That way you can check if the AV or any other app/tool/service might be conflicting with it. 

Dont you think every wheel will be affected that way, not just those two 3 wheel views? 

Edited by Mile Panic

@Mile Panic Hmm, it seems to be happening in the CoverFlow views (I doubt the wheels would slow down if CoverFlow wasn't being used). One thing that's curious is that you don't have any images in CoverFlow. I wonder if we have a performance degradation problem if you use CoverFlow with no images. Since it doesn't really make any sense to use CoverFlow without any images, I wouldn't be surprised if that's just something we've never run into before. So I guess we have two things to test for:

1. Does the performance degradation happen in the wheel views if you never use the CoverFlow views?
  2. If you populate images for those games, does the issue still exist in CoverFlow?

Hopefully that will help us to narrow it down. Thanks @Mile Panic.

4 hours ago, Rjay said:

Tested with the priority set as high for Big Box and was smooth, I assume that the Big Box plugin for Kodi (how I launch Big Box as it's my main media machine in the lounge) is not written by yourself @Jason Carr and is a community add in?

Just wanted to check if there was a way to get the launch Big Box with a priority from there. Obviously I could do a couple of work around solutions it has an option to run a script so possibly I can just write something to change the priority of Big Box once it's launched or write a watcher to change the priority to high when it sees the BigBox exe running

That is correct; I did not write that plugin. I'm not exactly sure of a way to do it with a priority from that plugin. You're saying prioritizing Big Box to high made a significant difference for you?

14 hours ago, noiseordinance said:

I posted on the other Bigbox lag thread but I'll post here as well. I'm using Xpadder now, which has eliminated my problems. It's not the prettiest solution, and it at least confirms that the problem doesn't lie in my controller or receiver, but it'll do for now. Thanks @Jason Carr for investigating!

I'd still love to resolve this if we can, but I understand. Is anyone else from this thread still having controller performance issues with the 8.8 release?

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@Mile Panic Hmm, it seems to be happening in the CoverFlow views (I doubt the wheels would slow down if CoverFlow wasn't being used). One thing that's curious is that you don't have any images in CoverFlow. I wonder if we have a performance degradation problem if you use CoverFlow with no images. Since it doesn't really make any sense to use CoverFlow without any images, I wouldn't be surprised if that's just something we've never run into before. So I guess we have two things to test for:

1. Does the performance degradation happen in the wheel views if you never use the CoverFlow views?
  2. If you populate images for those games, does the issue still exist in CoverFlow?

Hopefully that will help us to narrow it down. Thanks @Mile Panic.

Yeah I always used vertical wheel view so I never noticed before. Yesterday I was like I'm bored with this look lets try different wheels, and that's how I noticed. Also how to populate images in cover flow? because images are shown  in other views but not in this one, not sure why. Thanks

1 minute ago, Mile Panic said:

Yeah I always used vertical wheel view so I never noticed before. Yesterday I was like I'm bored with this look lets try different wheels, and that's how I noticed. Also how to populate images in cover flow? because images are shown  in other views but not in this one, not sure why. Thanks

You probably don't have any images for the selected image type for those games. Go into keyboard bindings in the options and make sure you have a key or a button mapped to "Switch Image Type". Then you can press that key or button to switch between the image types to see what you might have images for.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

You probably don't have any images for the selected image type for those games. Go into keyboard bindings in the options and make sure you have a key or a button mapped to "Switch Image Type". Then you can press that key or button to switch between the image types to see what you might have images for.

yes i dont I have, but how should i know what image type i required for that view?

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

That's the point of the shortcut key; the view can use any of the image groups available in LaunchBox. You press the key to switch between them.

yeah I assigned key, and been pressing it, box where image supposed be placed is blinking every time I press hotkey,  so i can tell it refreshes but no image shows up. In launchbox under cover box setup i have set to box front and box back. 

1 minute ago, Mile Panic said:

yeah I assigned key, and been pressing it, box where image supposed be placed is blinking every time I press hotkey,  so i can tell it refreshes but no image shows up. In launchbox under cover box setup i have set to box front and box back. 

I'm guessing you just don't have any images for those games, or your image priority settings are messed up, or something of that nature. Open up LaunchBox if you can and check what images you have for those games, and then check your image priority settings for the various image groups.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

I'm guessing you just don't have any images for those games, or your image priority settings are messed up, or something of that nature. Open up LaunchBox if you can and check what images you have for those games, and then check your image priority settings for the various image groups.

I have box front and box back for those games set in launchbox, because if in different views i can see them, just those three wheels not showing it, those 3 vertical wheel views.

7 hours ago, Mile Panic said:

I have box front and box back for those games set in launchbox, because if in different views i can see them, just those three wheels not showing it, those 3 vertical wheel views.

It could be the theme itself isn't optimized, I remember I didn't see images in some view(s) with Futurestate. Have you tried with the default theme as well?

8 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

It could be the theme itself isn't optimized, I remember I didn't see images in some view(s) with Futurestate. Have you tried with the default theme as well?

yeah i mean its fine, dont need to use cover flow I just want it to try, and before i looked more into that, I thought was Bib Box itself (new update or something), but now  i see its  just something wrong with those wheels, I will look more into that when i have time. I barely play games lately.