LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox lag

noiseordinance

@djtripnosis I don't see that option in regards to the Windows (Xbox 360), is your controller connected via Bluetooth or the proper Xbox controller dongle?  I do get another option though being a generic "Bluetooth XINPUT compatible input device", I will give that a shot? my video playboack was already set to wmp rather than VLC in Launchbox.Next itself.

LaunchBoxNextControllerSetting.jpg?raw=1

BBControllerOption1.jpg?raw=1

BBControllerOption2.jpg?raw=1

Edited by Rjay

50 minutes ago, Rjay said:

@noiseordinance good move uploading the vids as that should give @Jason Carr a better idea of what we are seeing, that is identical to the symptoms I see. Added note if you go back one menu to the BB views/options/quit menu then the controller scrolls through fine :)

Agreed, I've never had scrolling issues in the views / options / quit menu either. 

The second clip in particular shows that the videos continue playing despite the scrolling hiccups. I'm not sure if that means anything...

Edited by noiseordinance

It sort of makes sense to me that there is no lag in the menu as the program is doing some much less when you are in that menu it isn't trying to pop up all of the art and videos so I would assume that may be why you don't see any issues in the menu.

18 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

It sort of makes sense to me that there is no lag in the menu as the program is doing some much less when you are in that menu it isn't trying to pop up all of the art and videos so I would assume that may be why you don't see any issues in the menu.

Agreed it does seem like that should be the case but we have almost certainly ruled it out being a performance issue related to the system hardware as by that logic it would mean the keyboard should also show the lag on the Games listing screen due to having to pop up all the art and videos, its smooth as per above videos. At a guess its pointing to some sort of software (OS or BB) behaviour in relation to wireless controllers.

Edited by Rjay

Alright, I think I might have an idea as to what's going on. Thanks for all the feedback and the discovery work. I do think it's mostly a result of hardware slowness/delays (which is why I'm not seeing it on my main machines), but ultimately I think it's being caused by invoking the game controller code to the main application thread, which I don't do for the keyboard, so that explains that. It's not necessarily going to be an easy fix, because removing those invokes will likely cause some errors until I figure them all out and resolve them all, but at least I now know what's going on and I can work on getting it resolved. Thanks all. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright, I think I might have an idea as to what's going on. Thanks for all the feedback and the discovery work. I do think it's mostly a result of hardware slowness/delays (which is why I'm not seeing it on my main machines), but ultimately I think it's being caused by invoking the game controller code to the main application thread, which I don't do for the keyboard, so that explains that. It's not necessarily going to be an easy fix, because removing those invokes will likely cause some errors until I figure them all out and resolve them all, but at least I now know what's going on and I can work on getting it resolved. Thanks all. :)

This might be unrelated but I stumbled upon something in my setup while working on a theme, I minimalized codes within the theme testing every time how long it took for the wheel to switch to next games (I have no problems with controllers or whatever btw) I noticed some huge speed differences in my huge arcade list (7000 games with full downloaded media from database, a list I'm slowly cleaning up) after a while when I messed with image priorities, seems I had a bit too many alternative images category checked for one image category  for a while (far more than default settings so it's my own doing just to be clear) I noticed my loud HDD going crazy searching through all those folders in search for an image to show, maybe this can be useful as well to remember when helping out people with speed issues in case it was overlooked.

• 4 weeks later...

Any progress on this? 

I am having the game list stuttering issue with my xbox 360 wireless controller with official dongle.

By comparison, using my wired keyboard has no lag or stuttering. As the others above. 

I'm using the latest drivers, Windows 10 updates and the latest LaunchBox. 

I had expectations of plug and play functionality without any issues like this using paid software and standard peripherals. Obviously sometimes things get broken in updates and compatability problems arise that can't be helped, but would really appreciate a fix. 

I originally posted this in January 2017 and no signs of a fix since. I even renewed my year subscription hoping that there’d be a fix in an update but unfortunately there was not. I’d happily pay for an unlimited license but as it is I just can’t use the program. Hopeful there will be a fix someday though. 

You can try either using X-Padder, Controller Companion or something like Joy2Key which will allow your XBox controller to send keyboard presses in the BigBox UI until it is worked on. The issue I believe I saw mentioned was that the controllers aren't using multithreading like the key presses are hopefully until then you guys can make use of one of these or other mapping software that will allow you to get around the issue.

35 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

You can try either using X-Padder, Controller Companion or something like Joy2Key which will allow your XBox controller to send keyboard presses in the BigBox UI until it is worked on. The issue I believe I saw mentioned was that the controllers aren't using multithreading like the key presses are hopefully until then you guys can make use of one of these or other mapping software that will allow you to get around the issue.

Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind. I will say that one of the reasons I switched from Hyperspin to Launchbox were added layers of complication (like depending on xpadder in certain situations). While xpadder and programs like it aren’t challenging to use, it’s just another variable that can go wrong. For a premium app, it shouldn’t be necessary to use additional apps for basic control of the GUI with the most popular controllers. I’m hoping there will be a fix before this thread hits its two year anniversary. For now I’m using an alternative front end. 

I will be looking at this very soon. I do want to note, however, that while this issue apparently does affect a number of people, it is not a global issue. It seems to be either system-specific or it may have to do with lower-end specs. The reason why it was not addressed a long time ago is simply because the issue was never detailed out in a way that I was able to understand or replicate. I've since been able to replicate the issue on one of my lower-end machines though, so I can look into a fix. Now that LaunchBox.Next is out, I plan to tackle it very soon.