LaunchBox Community Forums

RED 84

Jegeroel

Hey guys!

I got the idea to make this theme last summer/autumn after following the ReignStumble Console artwork project. I wanted to create a theme that would work aesthetically with this artwork.

It was originally intended for personal use, but if it could be of use to anyone i wouldn't mind contributing to the LaunchBox community. After all, i've picked up coding ideas from looking at other peoples contributions.

Even though i did most of the design last year, due to a shortage of sparetime i've yet to start programming, so the shots here are not rendered in BigBox. There will be some changes depending on how well it works implementing the different elements. There's a few things i'm not sure is currently possible (such as SelectedPlatform.Completed). I'm only planning on having 1 view per level, and it will be built for 4K (or rather, UHD, 3840x2160).

Regards,

RED84-9-1 (1080p).png

RED84-9-2 (1080p).png

RED84-9-3 (1080p).png

RED84-9-4 (1080p).png

• Like 11

aha I actually started to build this based on your previous mockup in pure XAML; however, I was deterred as I didn't have the .PSD which included the scan-lines and fonts. I tried to match but it didn't look the same.

Navigation to the 'Recent' and 'Favorites' may not be as smooth as you hope for. You may have to choose only one to display. System change will be left and right. Then up and down for recent / favorites, then left and right - but it glitches.

I primarily focused on the first view and it's mostly finished. I can share with you once I get home. If you don't decide to continue with coding this, I'd love if you would share your .PSD.

I look forward to hear more of your progress.

Thanks for the nice comments guys! I'm glad you like it. Motivated me to speed up my work on this.

@Kevin_Flynn I'm still working on it, slowly :). Thanks for you build. I tested it and i see what you mean about navigation problems when having recent/favorites. The navigation works as intended (by the dev) i guess. If you rotate the keyboard (or monitor) 90 degrees the controls makes sense. Would be nice if we could define control for vertical or horizontal alignment so that it would work better in combination with different wheel types.

@Arcanthur I'm focusing on getting 1 view per level in 4k res done first. If there are ways to code it resolution independent that would be the best solution. Not having to maintain several builds. After that i'll look into adding more views if there's interest for it. It might be a bit tiny (certain text elements and logos) for low resolution crt screens.

There are a few issues i'll have to resolve:

- The fonts i'm using are commercial, so i'll have to find a way around that.

- I have to redesign parts to adjust to what's currently possible and what's not in theme creation.

If anyone have experience with BigBox theme creation or XAML in general it would be very helpful. Such as how to make resolution independent code.

Edited by Jegeroel

I'm so excited for the competition of this theme. It's incredible :)

curious, as I ever dabbled in any of this. If we downloaded your theme when it's complete is it possible to edit stuff? For example the colors instead of red or different font etc? Obviously for personal use only

2 hours ago, ABeezy13 said:

curious, as I ever dabbled in any of this. If we downloaded your theme when it's complete is it possible to edit stuff? For example the colors instead of red or different font etc? Obviously for personal use only

Changing the font would probably not be hard to do. As i was planning on using a lot of bitmap graphics for the theme, including the borders, changing colors would require editing the graphic files. The theme is called RED 84 for a reason ;). Will look into it when i've made the first version.

5 hours ago, Jegeroel said:

Changing the font would probably not be hard to do. As i was planning on using a lot of bitmap graphics for the theme, including the borders, changing colors would require editing the graphic files. The theme is called RED 84 for a reason ;). Will look into it when i've made the first version.

I was just curious, I LOVEEEEE what you got but some times easy tweaks for personal preference/taste make it all the more sweeter :) Didn't mean no disrespect I love the red, its awesome! Just figured I would ask if it was something simple to fix on the user end after downloading the theme! :P

• 6 months later...