LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox can't find roms on mapped network drive (but LaunchBox can)

smpetty

I use my main PC to share the biggest (storage-wise) rom sets with my family room LaunchBox installation.  

LaunchBox.exe on the family room computer sees both the local roms and the roms on the mapped network drives without a problem.  Everything works perfectly. 

BigBox.exe on the family room computer sees the local roms but cannot locate the roms on the mapped network drives.  It says that they are missing.

Any ideas?  I'm running Windows 10 x64 on both computers, running LaunchBox and BigBox as administrator, v7.8-beta 1.

It's probably not bigbox, more likely the emulator you are using.

BigBox uses the xml files launchbox generates... so if it works in launchbox, it should work in bigbox too.

I had the same issue with retroarch i think.

All my roms are on my NAS in Z:\Roms\Platforms\romfilename.*

What you can do to test if the correct path for the roms is used, is to make a simple batchfile with this content:

@echo off
echo Command: %1
pause

Put this batchfile as the emulator executable and it will show you the whole command launchbox / bigbox used.

Then you can go from there :D

Edited by Izegod
typos

7 hours ago, Izegod said:

It's probably not bigbox, more likely the emulator you are using.

BigBox uses the xml files launchbox generates... so if it works in launchbox, it should work in bigbox too.

I had the same issue with retroarch i think.

All my roms are on my NAS in Z:\Roms\Platforms\romfilename.*

What you can do to test if the correct path for the roms is used, is to make a simple batchfile with this content:

@echo off
echo Command: %1
pause

Put this batchfile as the emulator executable and it will show you the whole command launchbox / bigbox used.

Then you can go from there :D

Thanks so much for the help.  Here's what I found when running your batch file as the emulator for my network drive roms:

When I run LaunchBox.exe, everything works well and the ROM path is correct.

When I run BigBox.exe, I immediately get an error: "The ROM file you've specified does not exist."  No console window opens with the batch file.

When I run BigBox.exe AND THEN SWITCH TO DESKTOP MODE, I immediately get an error: "The ROM file you've specified does not exist."  No console window opens with the batch file.

This is very strange and I'm stuck as far as what else to do.  @Jason Carr - any other thoughts or suggestions?

Edited by smpetty

Is the game a zip archive by chance? I just added some extra information in for the next beta that should at least help us better identify the issue. It's pretty odd that it's somehow different between LaunchBox and Big Box, because the code is the same for that process. Let me know what happens after testing with 7.8-beta-3 (should be out later today). :)

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Is the game a zip archive by chance? I just added some extra information in for the next beta that should at least help us better identify the issue. It's pretty odd that it's somehow different between LaunchBox and Big Box, because the code is the same for that process. Let me know what happens after testing with 7.8-beta-3 (should be out later today). :)

@Jason Carr - Thanks again.  Unfortunately no change in the problem with 7.8b3. The files are unzipped roms (DS, PS2, Wii. WiiWare, PSP roms).  Anything else that I can do to troubleshoot the problem?

On 2/17/2017 at 6:48 PM, smpetty said:

BigBox.exe on the family room computer sees the local roms but cannot locate the roms on the mapped network drives.  It says that they are missing.

In this original statement, you are saying Bigbox runs roms fine from your local drive but says roms are missing if you run the games using roms from your mapped network drives. So, doesn't this just mean the mapped network drive is no longer mapped or the letter has changed since it was added to LB/BB?

Maybe check your mapped drive letter in Windows File Explorer and compare it to what is in the LB xml file for the path to the network drive.

yeah I have a weird issue on one laptop where the network drive isn't connected until I click on it for some reason and it cause that issue in LB it says if failed to reconnect with a red x but the second I click it it opens up and then the games work again

49 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

yeah I have a weird issue on one laptop where the network drive isn't connected until I click on it for some reason and it cause that issue in LB it says if failed to reconnect with a red x but the second I click it it opens up and then the games work again

it sounds like you did not map it as a persistent drive.

Example:

net use s: \\myserver\games /P:Yes

Edited by ckp

I used the gui to map it and there is a checkbox to reconnect at sign in it is checked but on this specific laptop it throws an error for the drive everytime possibly it times out before the network starts up, I don't really know. I just know its mapped the same way my other computers network drives are and they all work fine.

I see. Well, that's irritating. I wonder if you could just put a batch file in your user's startup folder with something like this command in it:

type x:\dummy.txt

Where x: is your mapped drive letter and dummy.txt is just an empty text file to access with the type command.

So, basically it would just flash and go away at login. Curious if that would work for you. I'm sure you tried updating your network driver.

On 2/20/2017 at 10:52 PM, ckp said:

In this original statement, you are saying Bigbox runs roms fine from your local drive but says roms are missing if you run the games using roms from your mapped network drives. So, doesn't this just mean the mapped network drive is no longer mapped or the letter has changed since it was added to LB/BB?

Maybe check your mapped drive letter in Windows File Explorer and compare it to what is in the LB xml file for the path to the network drive.

Thanks @ckp - The mapped network drives remain active and the drive letters match the platform data xmls.  It's an odd problem. LB works perfectly.  BB says that the network drive roms don't exist.  If I launch LB from BB (Switch to Desktop Mode), the launched LB says that the network drive roms don't exist.  If I close BB/LB and reopen LB, everything works fine again.  I'm stumped and frustrated...

yes, when running as admin, it does not have your user mappings. try running it without admin and see if it works. it should.

to prove it, open cmd.exe (not as admin) and run command:  net use

you'll see your drive mappings.

then run cmd.exe as admin and run :  net use

you won't see your drive mappings.

1 hour ago, ckp said:

yes, when running as admin, it does not have your user mappings. try running it without admin and see if it works. it should.

to prove it, open cmd.exe (not as admin) and run command:  net use

you'll see your drive mappings.

then run cmd.exe as admin and run :  net use

you won't see your drive mappings.

WooooooHoooooo!  @ckp - you 'da man!  Thanks so much, that was the problem.  Turned off "Run As Administrator" and BigBox works perfectly with the network drives.

Much appreciated!  Spent lots of time on this one!

Scott

• Like 1