LaunchBox Community Forums

Multiple input settings for controller, Retroarch

Bedwyr

Ok, just getting Retroarch 1.4.1 configured.

I have a few custom setups for controls, all with the usual xInput controller (XB1). Some changes I've noticed:

- Control input changes now apply to the Retroarch UI. Has this always been the case? For instance when configuring NES control, I prefer to have left button (x) be NES B and down (A) be NES A. This makes it more comfortable as the right thumb rests on the inside buttons. This also appears to be changing the "confirm" and "cancel" buttons in the UI as well to X as confirm and A as cancel. I don't recall this happening in 1.3.6.

- I can't seem to double up controls. I have NES directional control mapped to the d-pad, but I would also like the left analog stick mapped to NES directional control. This gives the player (my guests) the choice of using either the joystick or d-pad. It worked fine in 1.3.6 but I can't seem to figure out how to do this in the new version.

35 minutes ago, Bedwyr said:

Ok, just getting Retroarch 1.4.1 configured.

I have a few custom setups for controls, all with the usual xInput controller (XB1). Some changes I've noticed:

- Control input changes now apply to the Retroarch UI. Has this always been the case? For instance when configuring NES control, I prefer to have left button (x) be NES B and down (A) be NES A. This makes it more comfortable as the right thumb rests on the inside buttons. This also appears to be changing the "confirm" and "cancel" buttons in the UI as well to X as confirm and A as cancel. I don't recall this happening in 1.3.6.

- I can't seem to double up controls. I have NES directional control mapped to the d-pad, but I would also like the left analog stick mapped to NES directional control. This gives the player (my guests) the choice of using either the joystick or d-pad. It worked fine in 1.3.6 but I can't seem to figure out how to do this in the new version.

The standard select and back buttons can be changed in the input setting. As for left analogue stick load a nes game, open the quick menu, scroll to controls and change "user 1analog to digital type" to left analog, then scroll down to "save core remap file"

Edit, it appears you are trying to setup your nes controls in the main user interface, this is why confirm and back are changing. Setup your nes controls in the quick menu with a rom loaded like I said above.

Edited by neil9000
  • Like 1

Ah. I see what they're doing now. It's certainly simpler than carting around a bunch of individual cfg files.

Yeah, I got the overrides working fine as well as the analog. Once you get the hang of it, this is actually more reliable.

Thanks!

ps- What's the status on the Vulkan N64 and Dolphin cores? Still off in the future? I've been out of the loop.

Edited by Bedwyr

Hmm. Maaaybe ran into a bug?

I normally set savestate controls like this in the retroarch config "hotkey input" controls:

- Hotkey activator: click right analog (9)

- Savestate +: right d-pad

- Savestate -: left d-pad

- Load savestate: up d-pad

- Save savestate: down d-pad

Left and right change current savestate, but up and down only save and load to and from slot 0. Oddly I see feedback when saving that the game saves and then loads slot 0.

Am I missing something?

Nope. It's working correctly. It's just that the Retroarch text feedback is telling me the key I'm pressing which is #0 (the "hat" set of d-pad controls) rather than which slot it's saving to. Kind of ambiguous feedback if you ask me. After further testing, the behavior is actually correct.

Edited by Bedwyr

3 minutes ago, Bedwyr said:

Hmm. Maaaybe ran into a bug?

I normally set savestate controls like this in the retroarch config "hotkey input" controls:

- Hotkey activator: click right analog (9)

- Savestate +: right d-pad

- Savestate -: left d-pad

- Load savestate: up d-pad

- Save savestate: down d-pad

Left and right change current savestate, but up and down only save and load to and from slot 0. Oddly I see feedback when saving that the game saves and then loads slot 0.

Am I missing something?

That's a new one for me, I never use the + or - just save to slot 0 all the time and that works fine. I have back as my hold button then left and right bumpers as save and load respectively. which works just fine for me. sorry cant help there I'm afraid. 

Ok ok ok. One more question.

Given the new setup for core overrides, it seems impossible that I could run a green gameboy shader for GB games and a separate shader for GBC as they both use the same core (gambatte). I tried copying the dll file of the core and renaming it, but Retroarch is smart and still reads it as Gambatte. I'm not too fussed, but if anyone has any suggestions or workarounds, I'm game.

When you say you copied the dll file, did you also copy and edit the corresponding core info file? The core info file contains the text that will be shown in the UI. You can edit that to give it a meaningful name to differentiate the two cores and save core overrides for each. 

It was a good try, but it seems like they're still tied together somehow. I saved separate and renamed copies of both the dll and info files. I set Launchbox to load the separate dll file with no luck. A shader override would simply continue to apply to both. Moreover I was unable to undo the shader setting whether I edited and saved by loading content or launching through Launchbox and editing the shader setting from there. The shader setting stuck and I had to delete the folder contents and start over.

For separate shader settings it seems best to probably use a different core entirely.

Ok, this is way too weird. I've set other shader settings per core to my taste, but for some reason, Gambatte is stuck with CRT-easymode. I cannot seem to save the core shader settings with 0 shaders. The text at the bottom indicates "error saving shader preset". The next time I load either a GB or GBC game, it maintains the last shader setting. Really not sure what to make of this.

It's not a bad shader. I could live with it, but I'd like to solve the problem.

Edited by Bedwyr
spelling

So in response to this last problem, see the following link:

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/6679/how-to-remove-shaders/6

It appears that the shader preset does NOT take well to having a 0 shader count. It will return an error if you try to save with 0. The workaround is to set the single shader to "stock.glsl" which does nothing. The preset will then save and the core will revert to its default appearance.

Rather silly, IMO, but it works.

On 2/18/2017 at 11:08 PM, Bedwyr said:

Ok ok ok. One more question.

Given the new setup for core overrides, it seems impossible that I could run a green gameboy shader for GB games and a separate shader for GBC as they both use the same core (gambatte). I tried copying the dll file of the core and renaming it, but Retroarch is smart and still reads it as Gambatte. I'm not too fussed, but if anyone has any suggestions or workarounds, I'm game.

Shaders are also part of overrides, which are saved at the core/game level. They're loaded by priority, going Game override > Core override > base. You can, for example, set a shader (or whatever) as a base, and then decide that you want to do an override for an entire core that uses a different shader - when you save that as a core override anything you load with that core will now use that override by default - you can then further refine that with per-game overrides where you customize the shader and save it as a game override, at which point those settings will only be loaded for that specific game. If you want all your Gameboy games to have a Gameboy specific shader, load the core, set the Gameboy shader, and save it as a core override. The core dll duplication thing is no longer necessary. I used to do that extensively.

I've spent the last week or so converting my stuff to overrides and custom remaps, doing things like customizing all arcade games to use the same button layout across the board - one button is always fire, one is always bomb, one is always "other" for shmups for example (despite the fact that the games themselves didn't actually use the same buttons to do this) and all fighting games use uniform controls for light punch/heavy punch/light kick/heavy kick etc.

Overrides and remaps are actually great once you get used to them.