LaunchBox Community Forums

Steam Overlay Causing BigBox to Crash/Freeze

ScottGotRekt

Hey guys, first of all let me congratulate you on LaunchBox, absolutely great front-end, it has won me over completely.

For the past couple of weeks I have been working tirelessly to find a solution to lazy couch gaming using emulators and it seems that BigBox is ticking almost every box. 

There is only one real problem that persists now, whenever I press the home button on my PS4 controller, the steam overlay will *sometimes* pop up, not all the time though, when it does it is super slow and laggy sometimes freezing BigBox altogether forcing me to launch task manager. 

Because I want to use this with my Steam Link it would be ideal to have this problem fixed, just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Thanks!

By the way this only seems to happen when on the main screen of BigBox, while using an emulator it seems to work as expected. 

The reality is that the Steam Overlay causes many games that are sold in the Steam storefront to malfunction. I personally have two games that I play to death, and I have to avoid using the overlay for them as it causes one game to black screen or crash and the other causes Steam itself to crash with the game.

I mean, if you search for Steam Overlay Crash you'll find a virtual cornucopia of issues ranging from crashes of steam games, other front ends, steams own big picture mode etc. This is likely an issue with due to having another application vying for control of the display and or trying to determine where to send inputs to. I know that @Zombeaver had a thread on the Steam forums in regard to the link and LB/BB but that was back in like 2015, maybe he can shed some light on the issue.

12 minutes ago, Zeromod said:

The reality is that the Steam Overlay causes many games that are sold in the Steam storefront to malfunction. I personally have two games that I play to death, and I have to avoid using the overlay for them as it causes one game to black screen or crash and the other causes Steam itself to crash with the game.

I mean, if you search for Steam Overlay Crash you'll find a virtual cornucopia of issues ranging from crashes of steam games, other front ends, steams own big picture mode etc. This is likely an issue with due to having another application vying for control of the display and or trying to determine where to send inputs to. I know that @Zombeaver had a thread on the Steam forums in regard to the link and LB/BB but that was back in like 2015, maybe he can shed some light on the issue.

I know it does, I've had to disable it on a few older titles in my Steam library, I think Fallout 1/2 used to have an issue with it. I shall try and do more scouring of the internet to see if I can find anything.

Anyway, I don't know if this helps but the elements of BigBox that refresh or move such as the scrolling text or as I go through the text on the screen, they pop up through the overlay once the overlay has sort of frozen on top of it.

Apologies for potato pic

I dunno if this will give any hints to you guys but it's worth a shot.

Yes, for the purposes of emulation via the Steam Link (which is actually what I bought mine for) you're more than likely going to need to disable the overlay. Some things get along with it okay, others don't. At the very least it's something you should consider trying for the purposes of troubleshooting. I've had a Steam Link since day one and I've gotten along just fine without the overlay.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Yes, for the purposes of emulation via the Steam Link (which is actually what I bought mine for) you're more than likely going to need to disable the overlay. Some things get along with it okay, others don't. At the very least it's something you should consider trying for the purposes of troubleshooting. I've had a Steam Link since day one and I've gotten along just fine without the overlay.

I may have to give that a try then, thanks for the advice. :)