LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch Vs Standalone Emulators

Tyson

Truthfully i don't care what your preferences are, to each their own, but the comment, whichever way you look at it, did come across as a "Retroarch is great" post :) Which is fine btw (I can make no judgements on that because as I stated previously, I have never used it).

Edited by AGEE1981

Yea, for the most part, RetroArch honestly pushes the envelope when regarding emulation "conventions" and I think they get some flak from that. Similar to how LaunchBox shook up front ends, so I think that's why some of us sympathize. It's not perfect, it needs some alterations in UX so things are a bit more explained, but they're working on that. To be honest, a lot of the hate comes from misunderstanding and the unwillingness of people to figure out something new. I don't think that's their fault, but I do think there are things they can do to make it a bit easier, and they're working on it.

3 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

Yea, for the most part, RetroArch honestly pushes the envelope when regarding emulation "conventions" and I think they get some flak from that. Similar to how LaunchBox shook up front ends, so I think that's why some of us sympathize. It's not perfect, it needs some alterations in UX so things are a bit more explained, but they're working on that. To be honest, a lot of the hate comes from misunderstanding and the unwillingness of people to figure out something new. I don't think that's their fault, but I do think there are things they can do to make it a bit easier, and they're working on it.

I can't hate something I know nothing about :) If retroarch is your thing, thats awesome, it's just not mine, can't that be awesome too?

Edited by AGEE1981

It certainly is. Monkus and I tell people all the time when we think they could benefit from using a different emulator. For example, someone tried using DOS and PSP in RetroArch, and we honestly told them that DOSBox SVN, DOSBox Daum or even the built in DOSBox is much better. The other person, that PPSSPP in RA is very out dated. On the flip side though, when someone is having issues with an emulator outside of RA, and we know the emulation is better or their problem can be solved by switching, or maybe we know how to solve that problem in RA but the emulator is still better, we'll tell them about that too. In the end, if someone still wants to use what ever emulator they want, then that's totally fine. We're not gonna judge anyone. We get called RA whatevers all the time, but we're just being honest. ;) I'm with Monkus; I don't think I sound defensive, but I'm gonna tell someone the truth anyways. So if you use nothing but standalone emulators, then that's totally fine. There's a reason why our Database, naming conventions, emulator choices and etc are all open, we're not gonna tell someone how they need to keep their library in the end.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/24/2017 at 8:33 AM, Lordmonkus said:

superior audio

Did you just said superior audio!

Man Lets compare standalone snes9x, Snes9x lets you to configure audio device which many Windows user select it to Realtek high definition and the sound comes outstandingly well play the Bobby's world you will notice. Retroarch doesn't support high definition audio device it never recognized.

14 minutes ago, Shashank Adluri said:

Did you just said superior audio!

Man Lets compare standalone snes9x, Snes9x lets you to configure audio device which many Windows user select it to Realtek high definition and the sound comes outstandingly well play the Bobby's world you will notice. Retroarch doesn't support high definition audio device it never recognized.

The audio in Retroarch is great, and of course it supports high definition audio, i am using my GTX 1060 6GB to provide audio to my 5.1 AVR Reciever. Also it has much better audio latency that you can adjust to match the power of your system to reduce the latency, which is what i believe @Lordmonkus was referring to.

1062424375_Screenshot(196).thumb.png.90411cf2f20721880769cc324daf823c.png

• Thanks 1

Then why no realtek support? for my notebook pc

When select audio device it always brings me to renaming or annoying keyboard layout..I have used retroarch quite a month and have to say its very convenient but some filters cant be changed while playing the game we have to close and adjust and brz 4x was my favorite for tmnt and here it is hard to change for each core we have to fall back...

And having many boxarts for my 12 cores it has little slowdown tell me launchbox or retroarch

2 minutes ago, Shashank Adluri said:

Then why no realtek support? for my notebook pc

Retroarch will use whatever windows is set to use by default, you dont need to set it in the UI, it will just work. If it doesnt then you have other issues on your PC.

3 minutes ago, Shashank Adluri said:

filters cant be changed while playing the game we have to close and adjust and brz 4x was my favorite for tmnt and here it is hard to change for each core we have to fall back.

Shaders can be changed just fine during a game, in fact that IS how you change them, load a game choose a shader, save core override so the shader only works for that core.

4 minutes ago, Shashank Adluri said:

it has little slowdown tell me launchbox or retroarch

If you are having slowdown then your laptop probably is not powerful enough to run those cores.

Also you do know that snes9x has a retroarch core right? and it works great.

My PC is good. Here I'm talking about video filters in quick menu not shaders. Dude I'm a retro gamer I have all the best cores. my favorite game is ys book 1&2 So im a pretty audio maniac. I have SRS sound for PCenabled. I couldn't select or change the default option in the retroarch.. the only thing that retroarch beginners notice is enabled v sync..& 4:3. The snes9x standalone can do all that with better difference in many video filters and ability to manually choose the audio device. And in quick menu shaders i don't use them cause my monitor is lcd and glare free. the best shader mankind like is bi linear filtering it does that. Also Epx a,b etc., filters available in standalone snes9x which look good for night games like zombie ate my neighbors.

4 minutes ago, Shashank Adluri said:

My PC is good. Here I'm talking about video filters in quick menu not shaders. Dude I'm a retro gamer I have all the best cores. my favorite game is ys book 1&2 So im a pretty audio maniac. I have SRS sound for PCenabled. I couldn't select or change the default option in the retroarch.. the only thing that retroarch beginners notice is enabled v sync..& 4:3. The snes9x standalone can do all that with better difference in many video filters and ability to manually choose the audio device. And in quick menu shaders i don't use them cause my monitor is lcd and glare free. the best shader mankind like is bi linear filtering it does that. Also Epx a,b etc., filters available in standalone snes9x which look good for night games like zombie ate my neighbors.

The bi-linear filter is awful and one of the first options i turn off, it just makes everything look blurry.

I am using a crt shader with interger scaling on, and it looks and sounds great.

snes.thumb.png.f07f7a682da9fce0668ddd3843506ae9.png

• Thanks 1

I don't like lines and over exposure of images for example i played chip and dale or duck tales in disney's Capcom collection they have done that without bi linear filtering and even upgraded the image to hd the result is color the color will look too brighten and might feel your eyes are gonna hurt just like Dbz bluray boxsets. But here the bilinear filtering fall gentle on your eyes with a good contrast. I'm not telling you to use supereagle I'm trying to say play Super Castlevania 4 or Simons quest with bilinear filter on. Recently Konami also unveiled their collection..

1 minute ago, Shashank Adluri said:

Also I respect your choice it is good to may be i need to get used to crt. I have grown up with crt tv when i was kid that was Sony trinitron secam/pal ?

Yes, me too i was born in 77 so grew up with big PAL CRT TV's. I played the Spectrum +2, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Gamecube and XBOX on CRT TV's.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2019 at 8:02 AM, neil9000 said:

Yes, me too i was born in 77 so grew up with big PAL CRT TV's. I played the Spectrum +2, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Gamecube and XBOX on CRT TV's.

'72 here. :)

I understand this is an emulator thread but when I am NOT emulating I am playing on real hardware with loader carts - Harmony cart, Krikzz carts, LTO Flash, etc - on a Sony CRT I found on Craigslist. (Most people say they found them for free but around here no one gives anything away... I paid $20 and it was well worth it.)

As for emulators the only reason I use RetroArch is when I am forced to. RetroPie makes RetroArch easy so it is the one I use for the most part on my 3B+. On any PC I use standalone emulators such as FCEUX, Stella and ePSXe. They are what I have always used and what I am used to so I know how to make them do what I want. This is the whole point anyway isn't it? :)

I'm old so I'm getting crotchety and "I like what I like damn it!" ???

On 4/23/2017 at 11:28 AM, Lordmonkus said:

I'm not exactly sure how people think that stand alone emulators offer more customization over Retroarch though. With Retroarch you get get the "core specific" options on top of all the the other universal tweaks like Hard GPU Sync and Vsync options along with drivers, shaders and controller configurations which you can do on a per game basis. You really cannot get more customization than that.

@mothergoose729 provided very relevant information about a few instances of a standalone emulator having more customization than retroarch, when you literally said you cannot get more customization than that.  Doesn't seem weird at all.  In fact, I found that list very interesting and didn't know about a lot of those things.