LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega Saturn emulation

OK, heres the issue.

There is currently a bug in Retroarch which makes it impossible for it to detect Sega Saturn games. You have to load the manually.

Id like to use launchbox without Retroarch and launch my Sega Saturn games with Mednafen through Launchbox.

Now, as the pic, illustrates, Sega Saturn emulation does not seem to be an option. Why is that...?

1.png

I'm confused as what you want to do if you want to use Mednafen standalone as the emulator you just add that as your emulator and then add Sega Saturn as the Associated Platform. Also you should be able to type in the name of any emulator you want and not just be stuck to the drop down options.

The BIOS should go in the firmware folder, and trying to look up the command line is a bit difficult. I think "-ss" (without the quotes) should work, but I am unsure. Also yea, if it's in the list, defaults will be loaded for command lines (though some of them like the RetroArch command line needs updating), but you can just type in anything you want. You're not limited to the list. Here is where I found the command line documentation:

https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/#Section_command_line

https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/ss.html

-ss.scanlines 40 -ss.special nn2x -ss.stretch aspect_int -video.driver opengl -video.glvsync 0 -video.blit_timesync 0 -ss.input.port1 3dpad -cd.image_memcache 1 -ss.cart auto

If you intend to use Mednafen for more than just Saturn, don't worry about the Default parameters box. Add Sega Saturn under associated platforms and use the above in the parameters field.

If you only plan to use Mednafen for Saturn, then put the command line above in the Default command line parameters field.

This will give you a very nice look to your Saturn games through Mednafen, in my opinion, as well as enabling a few things (like the analog controller)

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT

53 minutes ago, A_Barbarian_4_sure said:

ok.. But Id like Retroarch to scan a directory, find all my games so that I have them all neat as I do in Launchbox.

To what end exactly? That's not how you'll be launching them if you're using LB/BB.

I believe the way RA scanning works is based on the CRC, at least that's how it works for normal roms. I'm not sure about disc images. And for those if it doesn't match the CRC, it's not "found".