LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox Wiki

Massatomic

Gday

I have been on the Launchbox emotional rollercoaster for a few weeks now, the highs of seeing bix box in all its glory to the lows of trying for hours to get something to work with out success...

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything but is there any plans to start a wiki for launchbox? I see some great information and moments of brilliance that I am sure that get lost in the forum and never get seen by users ever again.

It would be great if there was a wiki that we could all add to for quick reference to different problems that arise from time to time.

You only have to look at the Retropie wiki to see how brilliant it is for sorting out issues

Cheers

Mass

I have been thinking i want to contribute to this great community, when i find a bit of free time i will have a look at adding to it where i can. From my limited experiance i will probaly be pulling data straight from other peoples wisdom on the forums.

The videos are excellent! But sometimes its good to just have a list, like recommended emulators and settings.

where is it linked to on the webpage, i had a look for the link to the wiki for 10 min and could only find it when i googled it after the fact. It may be a better resource if it is more visable on the webpage and forums.

edit. for shitty spelling

Edited by massatomic

11 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Well that's the thing, Jason obviously created that page, and I even created a Wikia long ago, but neither of us really pursued that. Jason didn't want to, at least at the time. I can try and talk to him again, maybe we can do something.

I think the assumption is that everyone Is online these days, and there is a load of information and how to on the launchbox youtube channel, that is THE WIKI as far as I'm concerned.

A Wiki page would be a good thing to have. There are people out there that prefer to read things instead of watch videos, especially those on slow or limited internet. It would also be nice to have the important information all centrally located rather than spread out over a forum for people to search through.

Building and maintaining a Wiki would certainly take some time and dedication much like the games database.

• Like 1

Just now, lordmonkus said:

A Wiki page would be a good thing to have. There are people out there that prefer to read things instead of watch videos, especially those on slow or limited internet. It would also be nice to have the important information all centrally located rather than spread out over a forum for people to search through.

Building and maintaining a Wiki would certainly take some time and dedication much like the games database.

Ok, that's a fair point, its just hard work to build that sort of thing up from scratch.

The videos are really good, it does make it simple to follow. I personaly would use both, like if you had a page for each system that contained basically the same information but you were able to copy and paste any command lines or emulator setting.

an example would be etaprimes video on game and watch, the guy goes into so much effort that he creates a text doc and stores it on dropbox just so people can copy the emulator settings for retroarch. this should just be on a wiki for instance.

The only problem i find with wiki's and forums in general(not here, this community is fantastic)  is when newbies ask the same old questions and you get people chiming in with blunt/almost negative replies like

- have you used the search?

- did you even check the wiki?

i can undersstand the frustration sometimes but it leaves a sour taste in you mouth when you feel you have made a solid effort to fix something yourself but have made a silly error somewhere and need help and get those kind of replies.

Mass

To be fair, I answer the same questions all the time, and to a certain degree I don't mind, but in reality the search does exist, and people do know about it, but a lot of the time some people would rather ask and have it handed to them then do a search. Our search isn't that bad that you can't find stuff. I do tests, and make a search, and If I find the answer within the first page then I do get a bit angry. It is frustrating. I have almost 6k posts, a few keywords does go a long way and even if we had a Wiki that will not stop people, lol, trust me. I still think it's a good idea, like I said, I'll talk to Jason about it and see what he thinks. I wouldn't mind overseeing something like that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ALIE said:

maybe the wiki could be in the top menu list so people knows about it ?

We can advertise it more once we get some active contributions to it, but honestly we tried to advertise it in the past and sort of gave up on it because no one was populating it. Rather than push an empty site, I'd rather wait until we get some significant contributions to it before advertising it again.

My only concern is that the Wiki is not currently set up like a normal wiki, and I wonder if a regular wiki type of site layout would benefit us more. I know you can get wiki modules for sites to make it look like a Wiki. I would consider dedicating some time and putting down my expertise though.

• Like 1