LaunchBox Community Forums

Ps1 emulation black screen

hoosier1

I have been trying to get ps1 working through launchbox. When I try to open a game to play I get a black screen. I have tried epsxe and the mednafen psx core through retroarch and neither will work through launchbox. I can open either emulator out of launchbox and they both work fine. I have several other systems setup on launchbox that work well. Have the Scph5500.bin, Scph5501.bin, and Scph5502.bin bios files in both emulator system folders, and have lauchbox directed to the .cue files of the games in their current location where the .bin file is as well. Please help!

I would think if it were bad disk images or cue sheets they wouldn't run in the emulator outside of launchbox but they do. The games I have tried will load and play if I open epsxe or retroarch myself. I'm trying different bios but it hasn't helped either. I'm thinking maybe the extra stress on the system from running both launchbox and epsxe at the same time is causing it to freeze? I wouldn't think so but don't know what else it could be. I would have thought a I7 2.4 ghz with 8 gb ram would handle this even if it has integrated graphics.

I agree lordmonkus. That's what I thought as well. I have checked associated platforms and file paths and cant find a problem. Here is what I have. I'm playing around a little with the video plugins still, but these setting seem to work pretty well.

edit emulator epsxe.png

edit emulator epsxe.png

associated platform.png

Hmmm, I have to admit I am sort of stumped here at the moment as to what the issue could be your emulator settings and command line parameters look to be perfectly fine and if the games are loading outside of LB it should work within LB.

I had to re-setup ePSXe here and using both of the defaulted ePSXe 2.0.5 video plugins are working just fine and loading through LB for me. Could you try using the ePSXe GPU core 2.0.0 video plugin and see if that has any effect on your ability to load through LB ? Judging by your screenshots you are using a non default video plugin and though this shouldn't have any impact on it working through LB I just want to see if it works for you using the standard default 2D render plugin.

I tried default video plugins and loaded a game directly through epsxe and it loaded and looked really good. Tried loading through launchbox and it actually went through the playstation intro and got to the playstation trademark and froze. I don't understand why it would freeze when being launched from launchbox but not when I launch the emulator directly.

@hoosier1, did the Windows 10 Creator's Update just install for you recently by chance? I ask because a few people have been seeing issues with DirectX in the creator's update. Outside of that unfortunately I don't really have any other ideas other than to make sure that your video drivers are all the way up to date. You might also want to download and install DirectX 9.0c from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

I'm unsure of how LaunchBox or Big Box would ever interfere with an emulator; this is the first time I've ever heard of that happening, so I would think it has to be a driver issue of some sort, or some kind of weird issue with DirectX or maybe even the .NET Framework 4.6.2. You could also try reinstalling the .NET Framework if you're on an OS that isn't Windows 10.

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@hoosier1, did the Windows 10 Creator's Update just install for you recently by chance? I ask because a few people have been seeing issues with DirectX in the creator's update. Outside of that unfortunately I don't really have any other ideas other than to make sure that your video drivers are all the way up to date. You might also want to download and install DirectX 9.0c from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

I'm unsure of how LaunchBox or Big Box would ever interfere with an emulator; this is the first time I've ever heard of that happening, so I would think it has to be a driver issue of some sort, or some kind of weird issue with DirectX or maybe even the .NET Framework 4.6.2. You could also try reinstalling the .NET Framework if you're on an OS that isn't Windows 10.

It is windows 10. I will try updating drivers and the directx install and see how it goes. Thanks guys!

• Like 1