LaunchBox Community Forums

Steam Tools Plugin

View File

This is a test release of Steam Tools for LaunchBox.

To install, unzip the contents of the ZIP into LaunchBox's Plugins folder.  This plugin now supports being in a subfolder.

Current Features:

• Basic Steam game import functionality
  • Options Menu
  • Automatic custom field if using LB Premium for use in playlists
  • Optional automatic Hiding of uninstalled Steam games
  • Optional automatic Un-Hiding of installed Steam games
  • Background task for automatic updating of Installed/Uninstalled fields
  • Basic loading of Metadata from Steam
  • Option to download Clear Logos, Steam-Grid, and Header (as Fanart) images from Steam

Source Code: https://github.com/Nielk1/LaunchBoxSteamToolsPlugin

• Like 7

Hi, @Nielk1 Thanks for this i just had a very quick look and it seems to work well, i shall play with it a bit more. One thing though you might want to add instructions on how to install the plugin for users, as it was a zip i unzipped it to a folder with the same name and dropped that folder into the plugins folder. This would crash launchbox at startup, so i played around a bit and discovered just dropping all the individual files in was the way to get it to work. Might be worth pointing out to people as other plugins have there own folders and it might confuse some users. 

Thanks again.

For some reason I had some exceptions thrown but after clearing out my whole plugins directory and reinstalling this and your other plugin for the menus it seems to be fine now. I put everything into a specific Steam Platform, copied over my videos and images into the Steam platform and for one, there are no silly dupes and every game shows up. Now, if only LB wouldn't mess it all up if I scraped as Windows I could get the descriptions and such applied. :P

Thanks, buddy, seems to work fine!

Yeah seems stable at the moment i just used it to install a game that wasn't already installed on my system and worked flawlessly. [emoji4] 

Hello, so I just wanted to make sure this is to import Steam games into LB, that are already not there. I don't have my Steam directory in it's default location does that matter. I also do not have any Windows game imported at all in LB either. I have no games coming up in the search to import. Thanks in advanced [emoji3]

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

@jchasa The importer talks to the Steam Client and gets a list of all games.  It will list games already in your library but as you can sort the list and check all selected items you can easily order by  "In Library" last, and then scroll to the section where they are all "no".  The Importer is still in beta, so it might have some bugs that will need to be reported so I can fix them.

@jchasa The importer talks to the Steam Client and gets a list of all games.  It will list games already in your library but as you can sort the list and check all selected items you can easily order by  "In Library" last, and then scroll to the section where they are all "no".  The Importer is still in beta, so it might have some bugs that will need to be reported so I can fix them.

It would probably help then if I actually had Steam open then LOL, it's usually something simple. I will try again in a minute.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Nielk1 said:

@jchasa I coded it so it should handle the Steam client being opened after LaunchBox is already running, but I never tested it.

OK, I watched the stream where you guys where talking about your plugin, I know that it is a early release.  So I started the Steam client with LB open and got 3 errors, Steam is updating some games so not sure if that might effect it.  I also, well had to quit LB and reopened and still get one error.  Removed all other plugins and still happening.

The system cannot find the file specified

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 7.10-beta-7
Type:    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
Site:    Boolean StartWithCreateProcess(System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo)
Source:  System

at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   at CarbyneSteamContextWrapper.Steam4NETProxy.Init(String ProxyServerPath) in D:\Data\Programming\CarbyneMiddleware\CarbyneSteamContext\CarbyneSteamContextWrapper\Steam4NetProxy.cs:line 194
   at CarbyneSteamContextWrapper.SteamContext.Init(String ProxyServerPath) in D:\Data\Programming\CarbyneMiddleware\CarbyneSteamContext\CarbyneSteamContextWrapper\SteamContext.cs:line 261
   at SteamTools.SteamToolsContext.CheckSteam() in D:\Data\Programming\LaunchBoxPlugins\LaunchBoxSteamToolsPlugin\SteamTools\SteamToolsContext.cs:line 60
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Recent Log:

8:27:24 PM Exception

So no worries, waiting till all my Steam is updated all the way and will try again.  :)

Edited by jchasa

@Jschmuck2 It looks like it's failing to find and start CarbyneSteamProxyServer.exe for some reason.  Very interesting.  I'll need to try to figure that out.  It's supposed to detect Steam and start up the proxy exe and when it detects steam disappear it's supposed to shut down the proxy exe.

12 hours ago, Nielk1 said:

@Jschmuck2 It looks like it's failing to find and start CarbyneSteamProxyServer.exe for some reason.  Very interesting.  I'll need to try to figure that out.  It's supposed to detect Steam and start up the proxy exe and when it detects steam disappear it's supposed to shut down the proxy exe.

at CarbyneSteamContextWrapper.Steam4NETProxy.Init(String ProxyServerPath) in D:\Data\Programming\CarbyneMiddleware\CarbyneSteamContext\CarbyneSteamContextWrapper\Steam4NetProxy.cs:line 194
   at CarbyneSteamContextWrapper.SteamContext.Init(String ProxyServerPath) in D:\Data\Programming\CarbyneMiddleware\CarbyneSteamContext\CarbyneSteamContextWrapper\SteamContext.cs:line 261
   at SteamTools.SteamToolsContext.CheckSteam() in D:\Data\Programming\LaunchBoxPlugins\LaunchBoxSteamToolsPlugin\SteamTools\SteamToolsContext.cs:line 60

I am curious why it is saying "D:".  Neither Steam nor LB are on my "D:" drive.  So Steam games are updated and still happening. 

@jchasa It's stored the full paths to the source code used to build it so when it reports an error on a specific line number like that it also includes the full path to the file on the machine that compiled the DLL (my machine).  These are DEBUG DLLs after all, so while I'm not sure if Release DLLs do that these certainly do.

Edited by Nielk1
  • Like 1

@wirtual82 My area is Steam.  For that someone else would have to do it.  I'm already equip to build a data set from Steam's data, it's just about sorting what I need and where and how much of the data I can make naively come from Steam so I don't have to maintain it..

Edited by Nielk1
  • Like 1

I'm hearing reports that the in BigBox 'Install with Steam' button is already broken in version 0.3.0.0 due to a Steam update, but I can't seem to replicate that here.  I'm still working on trying to work around this issue.  That is the only function I use that is a moving target that can break, everything else is safe (and sometimes a crazy complex workaround to be safe).

Edited by Nielk1

Hey Nielk1, 

Still following your projects....any chance this will be able to incorporate importing non steam games that have already been added to steam to launchbox as as well? I have not been able to get anything working since the proxy that you had written, and now when I even attempt to open the proxy, it force closes. I have made bat files and then exes of my roms and then imported to steam and would like to use this to import into launchbox if possible. I'm still trying to get all my roms working with the steam controller while using launchbox as the frontend. 

Thanks.

@percybuttkins  I do need to rewrite the proxy.  It's funny because I was working on that before the plugin feature came around and the code base for that shifted into the plugin.  You'll note the collection of DLLs in this that are prefixed with "Carbyne".  That's because the middleware I am working on is called "CarbyneMiddleware", though it's a bit on hold due to the plugin stuff.

I should be able to make a 3rd party game detector into this when I get to recoding the shortcut management section of my Steam layer.

If anyone has cases of Steam games that are installed listing as uninstalled in the importer or in LaunchBox/BigBox please let me know.  I've had a report and I'd like to collect a few more.  I might create a logging build to try to get to the bottom of it.  Note that the plugin is configured to automatically fix the installed status of a game by asking Steam either once per hour (this rate can be changed in the Steam Tools Options menu item), when selected in BigBox, or when displaying the Install with Steam menu item.

Note also that the CarbyneSteamProxy instance used by the plugin is far more stable in version 0.3.0.0 onwards.  If somehow it remains open, you can safely close it from your windows tray icon area.  If there is more than one server running feel free to close them all.  If the plugin looses track of the server it will re-open it when needed.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...