LaunchBox Community Forums

Saturn emulation - is it just crap

PowerCooker

Ok well back on track

is SSF (or is it sse again?) if I wanted to just play 1 game is that any easier to use? I heard its meant to be better than yuabuse but its more difficult to get to work? is that actually true or is it more easier than what I'm thinking it is

crap..........I don't have a dvd drive anymore........I never used it so took it out and just used the sata cable to connect my 2nd hdd

I assume these daemon tools make the bin/cue into a single type of iso file? then the ssf boots up thinking its loading an actual disk?

If anything it's harder to set up. Just watch Brad's video tutorial, he goes step by step on how to set up the Mednafen Saturn core in RetroArch. If you simply copy what he does you will be playing Guardian Heroes in 10 minutes.

Since Guardian Heroes was brought up here I would like to ask which version are you using? I recently set up Mednafen through RetroArch and LaunchBox and Guardian Heroes is the only game that doesn't work. I keep getting the "Uncorrectable sector 0" error. I tried every USA version out there, including the more recent one by Darkwater. I checked the cue files, the names match. Tried renaming them to something simpler, didn't help. I have no idea what could be causing this problem. 

I could rip my own copy but I have no idea how to do that, don't even have a CD drive anymore. And I also doubt it's a bad dump issue so I think it would be for nothing anyway.

Edited by edugr10

35 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

I dumped my copy using ImgBurn and it worked just fine.

The "Uncorrectable sector 0" error is repairable though. You can use CD Mage to fix it .

Gave CDMage a try. Both cue files I have show no errors. I'm loading the .cue and selecting "scan for corruption". Is there something else I need to do?

Edited by edugr10

Even if the scan shows no errors have CD Mage generate a new cue + bin and try it out.

Also, if you have a long file name that can cause problems.

I have fixed several disk images using CD Mage but it is possible that you may just need a different dump of the game.

• 2 months later...

Not exactly sure how you managed to play any games with SSF without mounting a disk image or inserting an game disk in your CD drive since SSF requires this. Though it could be possible they added the ability to straight up load image files without mounting them in a virtual cd drive in a very recent release. I have not kept up with it in the last year since Mednafens release with Saturn support.

As for the input lag I have not done testing of this myself, I do not have the equipment to do so. I have read though from more than one source saying that SSFs input lag is bad but so is Mednafens compared to other mainstream emulators. I have not found either to have bad enough input lag to make any game unplayable.

Mednafens as incredible input lag in some games, one of them is street fighter alpha 3, I tried yabause with the 4mb cart and it works ok but then it did not wok with other games I had to change de 4mb cartridge, while on ssf it as the 4mb cart and it works in all games.

All I do is, open the cue in launchbox with no emulator selected, and run a bat file after the main app runs, just by having daemn tools  lite installed windows 10 opens and mounts the game. After that the bat file runs the emulator, and as a com and line that after you close the emulator it unmounts the iso, so basically I never program daemon tools or send it to mount the image, because windows 10 does that just by having daemon tools installed.