LaunchBox Community Forums

Playlists in bigbox

arkraider34

Trying to get some playlists to show up in the main menu of bigbox. I tried making playlists in launchbox but they are not showing up on the main menu of bigbox. What I'm trying to accomplish is making a category like "Sports" "Fighting" ect. To show up along side all the systems. Hoping that I can add games from multiple platforms to one list. Not sure if this is possible but figured someone may be able to help. 

On 6/12/2017 at 5:53 PM, SentaiBrad said:

Yea, currently you must be in the Playlists menu or the Platform Categories menu, and you need to edit the playlists for a Category for them to be there.

I'll tag on to the playlist thread for another question I have.  I noticed the various Arcade playlists autopopulated which are amazing, but they don't really go with my console playlists (e.g. Castlevania games, FF games, etc.).  Is there a way to segregate these into a separate section or if I delete the Arcade playlists will that also remove them from the platforms section?  They work great in platforms, just not my playlists.  

If you remove a playlist, it only removes the playlist and not the games. All of those games are still in the platform. If you remove the games from the platform, then it removes them from your LB install. You can set up custom playlists all you want, including to auto-generate based on info you give it. The Arcade auto-generation feature is optional (you can uncheck it during it import), and only makes playlists based on the board differences that a lot of people like to put their Arcade games in to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

If you remove a playlist, it only removes the playlist and not the games. All of those games are still in the platform. If you remove the games from the platform, then it removes them from your LB install. You can set up custom playlists all you want, including to auto-generate based on info you give it. The Arcade auto-generation feature is optional (you can uncheck it during it import), and only makes playlists based on the board differences that a lot of people like to put their Arcade games in to.

This is fantastic.  You guys are awesome.  So glad I discovered LB and can't wait to see where it goes in the future.  

Edit:  I just deleted Atari Classics from my Playlist and can confirm it actually does delete it from the Platforms section.  I can get it back by automatically adding the Arcade playlist but it seems to be tied to both the Playlist and Platform.  

Edited by SirTay

• 1 year later...

I am having a similar issue, in launch box all my default playlists are there but when I go to bigbox they do not show up. The only one that actually shows up is a playlist I have created myself.  I am not sure what I am missing. 

Edited by LangdonFan

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue, I see my own created playlists, which is great. I want to see the Arcade playlists that were automatically created. I personally don't want them listes with the platforms though. Ideally, with the menu with the platforms, I'd like it if there was a playlist option, and within that menu I could access the playlists.

Or, on the platform menu, I want to click on Arcade, and then my playlists be listed there. Is it possible to do this?

11 minutes ago, mattdawson75 said:

I have the same issue, I see my own created playlists, which is great. I want to see the Arcade playlists that were automatically created. I personally don't want them listes with the platforms though. Ideally, with the menu with the platforms, I'd like it if there was a playlist option, and within that menu I could access the playlists.

Or, on the platform menu, I want to click on Arcade, and then my playlists be listed there. Is it possible to do this?

This is all possible. You can create a new Platform Category called Playlists. Then you can edit the playlists and have them show only there. As well you can edit any playlist and specify if you want it to show under Arcade. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 7.51.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 7.51.03 AM.png

4 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

This is all possible. You can create a new Platform Category called Playlists. Then you can edit the playlists and have them show only there. As well you can edit any playlist and specify if you want it to show under Arcade. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 7.51.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 7.51.03 AM.png

Thank you, this works for Launchbox and Bigbox as well? 

I am having issues making playlists the way I want them. Basically what I want is this:

-Start Big Box
-Taken to my list of platforms as normal
-Scrolling left and right through my platforms, I want an option for Playlists
-Within Playlists will be a selection for custom playlists and auto-generated playlists
-Clicking custom I will see just playlists I have made. I want to then press Back and go back to see Custom Playlists and Auto-generated playlists
-Clicking on Auto playlists will show me the playlists Launchbox created

I tried making a Platform called "Playlists," but it didn't appear in my list of platforms with my SNES, PXE, Sega Genesis, etc. 

Currently, the only way I can get to playlists, is to start Big Box, then i have to press Back, so I get to the text menu, then I have to go down on the menu where it says Playlists. By the "text menu" I mean where the different options all appear on the left of the screen, with options, etc. I'm trying to avoid this menu completely, I want to be able to access playlists, completely within Big Box without having to press Back.

I do everything within Big Box, I don't want to use the Desktop interface at all for playing. Does this make sense?

3 minutes ago, mattdawson75 said:

I am having issues making playlists the way I want them. Basically what I want is this:

-Start Big Box
-Taken to my list of platforms as normal
-Scrolling left and right through my platforms, I want an option for Playlists
-Within Playlists will be a selection for custom playlists and auto-generated playlists
-Clicking custom I will see just playlists I have made. I want to then press Back and go back to see Custom Playlists and Auto-generated playlists
-Clicking on Auto playlists will show me the playlists Launchbox created

I tried making a Platform called "Playlists," but it didn't appear in my list of platforms with my SNES, PXE, Sega Genesis, etc. 

Currently, the only way I can get to playlists, is to start Big Box, then i have to press Back, so I get to the text menu, then I have to go down on the menu where it says Playlists. By the "text menu" I mean where the different options all appear on the left of the screen, with options, etc. I'm trying to avoid this menu completely, I want to be able to access playlists, completely within Big Box without having to press Back.

I do everything within Big Box, I don't want to use the Desktop interface at all for playing. Does this make sense?

It likely is not going to work the way you tried as you cannot add a platform and not import games into it. A platform will only show up if games are imported to it. 

You could add a couple new Platform Categories. 1 Called Custom Playlists and 1 called Auto Playlists. Then in each will have the related playlists. May not be the best solution but you may not be able to nest playlists inside each other the way you want the way LB/BB works for now. 

There may be a better way I just do not mess with playlists and the ones I have I do not drill to such a specific level or organization. 

7 minutes ago, mattdawson75 said:

Oh I see. How about this, so currently my Big Box boots up right away to Platforms. Is it possible to choose what Big Box loads up to initially on startup? Can I make it boot up to Playlists, instead of Platforms?

Yes, in the BigBox options there is a setting for the view you want it to Startup in. 

In Settings go to Views then set the Default Startup View.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I have playlists set up for each of my consoles now. Its easy to select a platform then choose the multiplayer playlist, which is my goal.

Can a playlist be generated that includes ALL multiplayer or co-op games, across ALL of my systems? Instead of it being on a console by console basis.

I tried to make a new playlist. I went into Auto-Populate. Set Field to Playmode, Comparison to "Is equal to," and in value wrote "co-op." That's probably wrong, it didn't auto populate.

Edit: Thanks Retro808, works great!

Edited by mattdawson75
thanked Retro808 but didn't want to bump topic for no reason

5 hours ago, mattdawson75 said:

Can a playlist be generated that includes ALL multiplayer or co-op games, across ALL of my systems? Instead of it being on a console by console basis.

I tried to make a new playlist. I went into Auto-Populate. Set Field to Playmode, Comparison to "Is equal to," and in value wrote "co-op." That's probably wrong, it didn't auto populate.

You just need to use a value that is used in Launchbox. These are the play modes you can choose from when you edit a game. Capture.JPG.7da2a0514df92e8962e1d1d0c15a56f2.JPG

• Like 1