LaunchBox Community Forums

Snes9x won't load most of my games

Egobyte83

I was here yesterday and posted a question about a problem I had and that one has since been fixed. Yay! ^^
However, solving one problem apparently gives birth to another one that's unrelated.

DESCRIPTION
So I am using Snes9x v 1.53 and have imported around 200+ games into my library. However, when I try to play most of them, the black screen of Snes9x just keeps loading until I am forced to close the program because it stops responding.

At first I thought this was a ROM-issue limited to a few games, but then I discovered that apparently the majority of SNES-games don't work in Launchbox. I have only discovered a handfull of games that work; so far I have confirmed that Actraiser (EUR) and Super Mario All-stars + World actually work in Launchbox. Seeing as how I am a little out of my league trying to load all games in the library one by one to see if each and everyone works, I am content for now with finding out that it is not a general issue but it actually seems to be oddly specific.

Also, playing the games through the regular emulator outside Launchbox still works perfectly, so it doesn't really seem to be a ROM-issue per sé; more like it is a Launchbox problem.

I have only discovered this problem with SNES games (so far); it might be cross-platform, I don't know as of this moment. But since my other emulators appear to play nice with Launchbox, it might be a Launchbox-Snes9X issue... but then again, why would SOME games work at all then; shouldn't it be a general problem if that was the case?

Does anybody know anything about this?

Edited by Egobyte83

Huh..... again... a problem that solved itself........ what happened was, as soon as I had posted here, I realized that there was one thing I hadn't tried yet, but because why would that work? ...

Unzipping the archived files..........

No, of course not... couldn't be anything as silly as that... I mean, WHDLoad files for Amiga work in zipped mode in Launchbox, and the fact that the emulator proper can play the zipped files just makes it more implausible that THAT would be the issue; I'm sure it has nothing to do with- *WORKS* .......

... Okay... so apparently, I have to unzip the files if they are to work in Launchbox. O.o .. you learn something new everyday, I guess.

Leaving this here so other people with the same problem may be helped.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

So were some of your roms zipped and some not? They should all be the same, either all zipped or all extracted. Then as @DOS76 said there is a checkbox you check on or off depending on how you have your roms.

Yeah, I am just figuring that out ^^ I never really assumed it was important to have all files either zipped or unzipped as the emulatoirs usually could play them in both states anyway.

Now I am a little wiser though :) thank you.

Just now, Egobyte83 said:

Yeah, I am just figuring that out ^^ I never really assumed it was important to have all files either zipped or unzipped as the emulatoirs usually could play them in both states anyway.

Now I am a little wiser though :) thank you.

Yeah sounds like Launchbox was loading the extracted games but didn't know what to do with the zipped ones as the unzip before loading rom box wasn't checked. At least you worked it out though.

2 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

yeah I personally don't like mine archived especially for such minuscule sized file so what ever makes you happy just wanted to let you know there are options built in to handle the situation.

I appreciate the pointers :) thanks a bunch

Do note that if you imported them as zips, and then you extract, launchbox will still look for the zip. Recommend extracting all of them, deleting all the games from launchbox and then reimporting them. To my knowledge mame roms and Amiga roms are the only ones that should be zipped. I personally wouldn't bother with the lb extract feature unless space is an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, fromlostdays said:

Do note that if you imported them as zips, and then you extract, launchbox will still look for the zip. Recommend extracting all of them, deleting all the games from launchbox and then reimporting them. To my knowledge mame roms and Amiga roms are the only ones that should be zipped. I personally wouldn't bother with the lb extract feature unless space is an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yeah, thats basically what I did ^^ :)