LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox messes up shared assets

Imgema

So this happened to me and i figured it out after more than 300+ box art pics got renamed by launchbox without asking me.

It seems every time i rename a game in Launchbox because the database gets updated, it also renames all the assets with a -01, -02 or whatever at the end of the name and removes (USA), etc. And because i use the same assets for all frontends (like Hyperspin) since i don't want to waste HDD space by having everything copied multiple times for every frontend, now all these pics show up as missing in Hyperspin.

So that basically means Launchbox can't share assets with other frontends. Can this be fixed? The way it is now you must copy-paste everything so Launbox can have exclusive usage on them.

Edited by Imgema

• 3 weeks later...

Behavior is still the same in the latest beta. So i assume it's intended? If it is, i don't see why, i mean, roms don't get renamed (thankfully, lol) so why do pictures need to be renamed every time you update the info/metadata of a game? Like i described above, this makes LaunchBox having to use exclusive assets just for itself.

Edited by Imgema

Thanks for the suggestions but i would like to keep my other frontends as options. Also i will have to buy LB to get access to Big Box anyway and i'm still waiting for some features to be added and performance issues to be ironed out before i do that.

Question still stands though. Is there a reason why the assets get renamed? They don't even get the same name as the title, it's something silly like Super_Mario_64-01.png. What's the point of that? I remember this was fixed at some point after i made a similar thread about it but now the issue is back again for some reason.

Edited by Imgema

Assets are renamed because the images are found strictly via the file name. In other words, there's no internal database that says "these images belong to these games". So if a file is tied to the game via the game's title, and the title is renamed, then unfortunately the image does have to be renamed or it will no longer work with the game in LaunchBox. Unfortunately we're not going to change up the way all images work with LaunchBox and Big Box at this point, as the current approach has many advantages that we would lose if we took a different approach.

• Like 3

Ok thanks for the response. I was confused because this issue was brought up before and then you got it fixed (the pictures would not be renamed for some versions of LaunchBox) but now it's the intended behavior.

6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

So if a file is tied to the game via the game's title, and the title is renamed, then unfortunately the image does have to be renamed or it will no longer work with the game in LaunchBox.

It does work for me though for some reason. If i pull the pictures with the old names from my backup and replace the ones that have been renamed by LB, they still work (i refresh the images to rebuild cache and make sure they work). That's why i was wondering why the renaming happens in the first place.

Anyway it's all good, an inconvenience sure, but at least pulling the pictures from a backup saves me the time from correcting hundreds of renamed files.

Edited by Imgema

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 6:12 PM, Dan said:

I thought this issue of renaming media had been fixed, according to what Jason mentioned in another thread?

It was fixed indeed. I made that thread myself back then and he fixed it. But now it seems like it's the intended behavior after all, i don't know, i'm also confused.

And it's funny because i can copy-paste the correct named files from a backup and Launchbox will still recognize them, even after the edits. So it feels like an inconvenience with nothing to gain from if you ask me, especially if you have multiple frontends, sharing the same assets. Thankfully, it's easy to fix, after you done editing your games just pull a backup of your assets with the original names and delete the renamed ones.

Edited by Imgema