LaunchBox Community Forums

mame games won't load

mADjAckJ

Hi there I am new to Launchbox, great app by the way :) I have followed your great tutorial on setting up snesx successfully but i can't seem to get mame working in the same way. I've configured it but when i click on a game nothing happens.

Any ideas?

I can provide screenshots if needed.

Thanks

First thing I would recommend is to make sure both Mame and Launchbox are pointing to the same Rom directory. Open Mame and check to see where you have it pointing to your roms then in Launchbox make sure it is pointing to that same drive. If when you imported your roms you had Launchbox move them that could cause an issue. 

Do your roms work in Mame outside of Launchbox?

Edited by Retro808

I realized the folder path was quite long so I have moved the roms to 'C:\Users\jpock\GAMES\Emulators\Mame\roms'. I am now re-importing them again as I read on your forums that you can't bulk edit the rom path. Will see if this works.

On a side note I am using mame version 0190b (the latest one). The GUI isn't very pretty in Windows though is it?!

I would also check first that your games launch OK through just MAME by itself, if they do then we can narrow it down to a launchbox configuration issue. If they don't load through just MAME as well then we would need to troubleshoot there first before even starting on your Launchbox configuration.

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I believe one of the new features in 7.11 is the ability to bulk edit rom paths. 

Yes that is correct there is, but MAME also needs to know where your roms are, so if you have just moved them you will have to tell MAME the new location also.

2 minutes ago, mADjAckJ said:

Some do some don't. Alot say the selected machine is missing some ROM or CHD images. It won't let me take a screenshot annoyingly sorry.

What number romset are you using? You say you are using mame version 0.190 are your roms the same? Also which games have you tried that won't load, don't need a whole list just a few.

Good idea i will try that in a bit. Maybe my rom set doesn't match the latest mame. I have had the roms sometime now to be honest. I think it was 0.78 roms. Would that version of mame work with launchbox or do i need to download a new romset now?

I will let you know results of games testing asap.

2 minutes ago, mADjAckJ said:

Good idea i will try that in a bit. Maybe my rom set doesn't match the latest mame. I have had the roms sometime now to be honest. I think it was 0.78 roms. Would that version of mame work with launchbox or do i need to download a new romset now?

I will let you know results of games testing asap.

Some should still work but games that require the qsound.zip would need an updated qsound.zip. It was changed in 0.186 so those game like @neil9000 mentioned (Capcom) will not work.

Edited by Retro808