LaunchBox Community Forums

mame games won't load

mADjAckJ

18 hours ago, neil9000 said:

The only difference we seem to have is that i am using a MAME nonag emulator, you are using official MAME.

Also you use Arcade, i use MAME as platform name. Also running on Windows 10 Pro 64bit (version 1803)

PS, I have Just installing a fresh Launchbox, setup Arcade with full MAME set option using MAME 0.210 FULL SET + CHDS  and emulator still won't load (all anti virus etc off)

This works completely fine on my setup, using Hyperspin or RocketLauncher, or MAME emulator itself,  just not Launchbox or Bigbox

Tested with RetroArch and it loads perfectly on this setup, just NOT MAME emulators, any of them nonag or official.

Edited by cataclysm67

Did you try editing a game and changing the relative path that is showing to reflect the full path of the rom that Dos mentioned earlier? I did not see you confirm you did. Also did you try and test with Startup Theme turned off for Mame?

Was Mame working on a version prior to the beta you are on?

Yes, i have literally tried everything you mentioned and more.

I have now tried running it on Windows 10 Home & Pro 64bit with latest updates and it still won't load.

All settings are correct.

As i mentioned it works fine through RocketLauncher and MAME runs perfectly using Hyperspin so it must be something to to with Launchbox

I even tried earlier Launchbox and its not loading either.

I have been using emulators for many years and I hope I know what I am doing, but for me no MAME emulator works. i will just run it through RL instead for now.

1 minute ago, cataclysm67 said:

I dont believe so, otherwise it would work just fine as Launchbox works with MAME perfectly well. I still feel there is a configuration error in Launchbox somewhere, its just tracking that down.

5 minutes ago, cataclysm67 said:

Yes, i have literally tried everything you mentioned and more.

I have now tried running it on Windows 10 Home & Pro 64bit with latest updates and it still won't load.

As i mentioned it works fine through RocketLauncher and MAME runs perfectly using Hyperspin so it must be something to to with Launchbox

I even tried earlier Launchbox and its not loading either.

I have been using emulators for many years and I hope I know what I am doing, but for me no MAME emulator works. i will just run it through RL instead for now.

Did you use the fullset importer when you added your MAME roms. Also i notice you have no artwork either, did you just not scrape any at import?

I think the best thing to do would be to delete the emulator and the roms and re-import the system using the fullset importer.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Did you use the fullset importer when you added your MAME roms. Also i notice you have no artwork either, did you just not scrape any at import?

I think the best thing to do would be to delete the emulator and the roms and re-import the system using the fullset importer.

yes, i have done all this. no artwork as neil9000 mentioned renaming to Arcade instead of MAME.

Edited by cataclysm67

• 1 month later...

LaunchBox does not have a bug.
For arcade games and software system software list emulated games, MAME's ini file needs to know their location.
For software system games using direct media emulation, MAME doesn't care where the games are as long as LaunchBox knows. MAME, however, needs to know the location of any associated bios/device files.

25 minutes ago, Tynator said:

Have you tried placing the roms in the MAME roms folder (path where MAME is installed)? Launchbox has a bug and it won't run MAME roms located elsewhere on some machines...

Yeah thats not true at all, but MAME does need to know your rom location as well for Launchbox to launch them.

4 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah thats not true at all, but MAME does need to know your rom location as well for Launchbox to launch them.

Well in MAME you can set directories other than the original folder\roms and it will work fine IN MAME. But once you do that it won't work in Launchbox in some cases... funny fact is that it doesn't happen with all machines. I keep my emulation stuff stored in the same external HDD and face this bug in one machine and not in two others. All Launchboxes equally installed. I haven't really bothered figure why, just placed all my MAME roms in the original \roms and it runs smooth on all 3 machines. Quite a few users have reported this in other forums as well.

7 hours ago, Tynator said:

Well in MAME you can set directories other than the original folder\roms and it will work fine IN MAME. But once you do that it won't work in Launchbox in some cases... funny fact is that it doesn't happen with all machines. I keep my emulation stuff stored in the same external HDD and face this bug in one machine and not in two others. All Launchboxes equally installed. I haven't really bothered figure why, just placed all my MAME roms in the original \roms and it runs smooth on all 3 machines. Quite a few users have reported this in other forums as well.

Then you have a mis-configration somewhere, i dont keep my roms in the MAME folder, in fact i do not even keep them on the same hard drive and they work just fine.

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, dukenukem008 said:

Wow thanks you fixed my same issue... Launchbox recommended some default command line parameters but when i deleted them it launched the game straight away :)

That new keyboardinput commandline is needed for the pause screens to work with MAME. However if you are using a old MAME emulator, pre 0.17...something, then that command had not yet been added to MAME, so launching a game with that command doesnt work as MAME doesnt recognise it as a valid command.