LaunchBox Community Forums

BEST CPU

reaper71129

25 minutes ago, slimskinny said:

Hi guys,

seeing that the core I5-8600k and I7-7700k (higher clock speed) are coming up at pretty much the same price. which one would you go for and why?

You will more likely get slightly better performance in emulators out of the 7700k. The six core chips run very hot, and it is pretty much mandatory that you have custom water cooling in order to get those 5.0ghz clock speeds. With that being said, a 4.5-4.7ghz overclock is very achievable with either chip, and really the frequency I would feel comfortable for either one. The 8600k is a lot more processor. I would rather have the extra two cores even if it costs me maybe 200mhz on my overclock, and even if those exta cores will contribute pretty much zero to emulators or games. I would get the 8600k. I plan to get one for myself next year. 

Edited by mothergoose729

Honestly the I7 3770 will be faster than the AMD FX. How it stacks up to Ryzen and emulation I wonder but in my main machine I have an i5 2500k and my HTPC has a i5 7600 (non-K) and it works really well. I posted the specs here but I later upgraded from a Kaby Lake Pentium to a Kaby Lake i5 and even the Kaby Lake Pentium was good enough for anything PS2 or below.

Just now, DOS76 said:

Do you have a reference to that thing with the i5's needing liquid cooling and does it specifically mention the i5 8600

The box cooler will work fine at stock speeds. If you want to overclock at high frequencies, than the biggest obstacle is heat. Even with a 280mm AIO liquid cooler reviewers were seeing temperatures in the 90c and thermal throttling running at 5.0ghz. This is with the 8700K model, which runs a touch hotter because of hyper threading, but the 8600k can be expected to run at very similar temperatures at the same frequencies. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a choice to make.... can you guys give advice,  strictly for a dedicated emulation and Launchbox build:

For PS2, ps3,dolphin, cemu, Saturn, dreamcast ..Should I use an available Ryzen i7 1700 build (at3.8ghz) with 16gb 3200mhz ram  and 1060sc?

OR would I be better off sacrificing the cost to purchase the i7 8700k CPU ,16gb ram with 1060sc?

Would the higher core per clock (overclock speed) of the 8700K benefit me over the Ryzen 1700 strictly for emulation or would that be  throwing money away?

Edited by MazJohn [Mr Arcade]

1 hour ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

Would the higher core per clock (overclock speed) of the 8700K benefit me over the Ryzen 1700 strictly for emulation or would that be  throwing money away?

For strict emulation I would go with the Intel personally, it will serve you much better for Cemu. For PS3 emulation that question becomes a bit more trickier to answer, it's one of the few emulators that really takes advantage of more than 2 cores but it's also an emulator that is still in such an early stage of development we don't know what the future progression of it holds. Yeah it emulates a few games extremely well but it has such a long ways to go before it becomes a proper daily use emulator.

My personal view on it right now is to use an Intel if you want the best CPU for all around emulation and only if you are buying right now and money is not really a concern. Having said that I currently use an older (by todays standards) AMD 8350 @ 4Ghz and it handles PS2, Dolphin, Saturn and Dreamcast without issues. It can handle some of the games in Cemu fine but Zelda BotW not so much. An Intel CPU though would probably handle some of the tougher PS2 and Dreamcast games a bit better but for the most part I am fine. Dolphin and Saturn are perfectly fine on my system though.

My final thought on the matter is this though and I have said this to people in the past, more CPU power does not go to waste in emulation. Even though a lower end CPU can "run" emulators and games just fine the better emulators out there will allow you to tweak the emulator for a better experience with lower input latency. Retroarch has a setting in it called Frame Delay and the higher you can push that number the lower your input latency will be but the higher you push that number the more CPU power is required.

The 8600K is just as good as the 8700K for almost everything, unless you don't plan to overclock it yourself. The 8 series i3s have four cores now. An unlocked variant of those would probably be the best value. 

The Ryzen 1700 is a perfectly good chip. The number of games that can be played on an overclocked intel chip, that can't run at full speed on a Ryzen CPU, is really small. The intel chips are definitely faster thought.

Edited by mothergoose729